Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By mipl
  • 1 Post By mipl
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By mipl
  • 2 Post By mipl
  • 1 Post By Rocky

Thread: Sydney TAFE Espresso course

  1. #1
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    42

    Sydney TAFE Espresso course

    Hi

    I have signed up for a Espresso course on Sydney TAFE. (STATEMENT OF ATTAINMENT IN ESPRESSO COFFEE SKILLS). It is three Saturdays, 6 hours each day. It starts this Saturday and I am quite excited. Not that I ever plan to work in that field it is more for my own development as an espresso maker.

    If you are interested I can keep you up to date with whats going on there.
    Dimal and topshot like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by mipl View Post
    Hi

    I have signed up for a Espresso course on Sydney TAFE. (STATEMENT OF ATTAINMENT IN ESPRESSO COFFEE SKILLS). It is three Saturdays, 6 hours each day. It starts this Saturday and I am quite excited. Not that I ever plan to work in that field it is more for my own development as an espresso maker.

    If you are interested I can keep you up to date with whats going on there.
    Ah cool, have fun! Yeah I'd love to hear how it goes, and what they teach distribution-wise

  3. #3
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Ah cool, have fun! Yeah I'd love to hear how it goes, and what they teach distribution-wise
    Did my first day of the course. After some difficulties to find the building and room the course is taking place in I finally made it. First activity was filling out some forms as you would expect. I didn't count but I think there are about 12 - 15 people in the course. I reckon mostly students who are looking for work in cafes. The first half of the day the subject was Food Safety and Hygiene. This I assume is a prerequisite certification to work in commercial hospitality. Second half was actually making coffees: Espresso, Long Black, Cappuccino, Latte, Ristretto Piccolo Latte, Flat White and Mocha. After shown each reach recipe by the instructor we then had the chance to try it ourselves. There were 3 commercial machines with 3 groups each available. I had a lot of difficulties at the beginning to pull a proper shot because being unfamiliar with the equipment. After a number of unsuccessful attempts I managed to get usable results. not something that you would actually sell aor really enjoy yourself but usable for the purpase of the receipes
    So next week we will finish off with the Food Safety and Hygiene learn more about coffee (regions, processing, roasting) and get more into the coffee making. In order to get the certification you will need to prepare 10 espresso based coffees in a commercially acceptable quality.

    So far I am enjoying the course, it is good fun. It gets a bit busy at times with only 9 groups and 6 steam wands for the number of students but taking into account the whole course is only 50 bucks it well worth it.

    And Simonsk8r, the instructor just tapped the group handle on the site a few times to distribute the ground coffee.
    simonsk8r likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,923
    Quote Originally Posted by mipl View Post
    So far I am enjoying the course, it is good fun. It gets a bit busy at times with only 9 groups and 6 steam wands for the number of students but taking into account the whole course is only 50 bucks it well worth it.

    And Simonsk8r, the instructor just tapped the group handle on the site a few times to distribute the ground coffee.
    Pleased to hear your enjoying the course mipl.

    As far as distribution is concerned, a few taps on the sides of the PF is all it takes, I use the top of my tamper handle, it has a Delrin insert designed for the purpose.

    Reg (Barber) originally added the inlayed Delrin crown to prevent damage to your equipment from tapping the sides of the porta-filter.
    mipl and simonsk8r like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by mipl View Post
    Did my first day of the course. After some difficulties to find the building and room the course is taking place in I finally made it. First activity was filling out some forms as you would expect. I didn't count but I think there are about 12 - 15 people in the course. I reckon mostly students who are looking for work in cafes. The first half of the day the subject was Food Safety and Hygiene. This I assume is a prerequisite certification to work in commercial hospitality. Second half was actually making coffees: Espresso, Long Black, Cappuccino, Latte, Ristretto Piccolo Latte, Flat White and Mocha. After shown each reach recipe by the instructor we then had the chance to try it ourselves. There were 3 commercial machines with 3 groups each available. I had a lot of difficulties at the beginning to pull a proper shot because being unfamiliar with the equipment. After a number of unsuccessful attempts I managed to get usable results. not something that you would actually sell aor really enjoy yourself but usable for the purpase of the receipes
    So next week we will finish off with the Food Safety and Hygiene learn more about coffee (regions, processing, roasting) and get more into the coffee making. In order to get the certification you will need to prepare 10 espresso based coffees in a commercially acceptable quality.

    So far I am enjoying the course, it is good fun. It gets a bit busy at times with only 9 groups and 6 steam wands for the number of students but taking into account the whole course is only 50 bucks it well worth it.

    And Simonsk8r, the instructor just tapped the group handle on the site a few times to distribute the ground coffee.
    Ah that's awesome, can't believe it's only $50, I'd do that if it were around for that much! But sounds like a really thorough, comprehensive course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Pleased to hear your enjoying the course mipl.

    As far as distribution is concerned, a few taps on the sides of the PF is all it takes, I use the top of my tamper handle, it has a Delrin insert designed for the purpose.

    Reg (Barber) originally added the inlayed Delrin crown to prevent damage to your equipment from tapping the sides of the porta-filter.
    Yeah, don't know why the topic of distribution keeps coming back to me, just so much stuff out there saying do this do that, don't do this and that etc, so much confusion as to what's an optimal approach. But I for one am leaning towards a simpler approach for sure

  6. #6
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Ah that's awesome, can't believe it's only $50, I'd do that if it were around for that much! But sounds like a really thorough, comprehensive course.Yeah, don't know why the topic of distribution keeps coming back to me, just so much stuff out there saying do this do that, don't do this and that etc, so much confusion as to what's an optimal approach. But I for one am leaning towards a simpler approach for sure
    The price is actually the reason why I have signed up :-). I was looking for courses mainly to improve my dosing skills. If you look for Barista courses in Sydney they are $150 to $200 for 5 hours, When I saw this one, 3x6 hours for $50 I thought I cannot go wrong.
    I am not sure if I will improve my dosing skills but I can say I have already done coffee recipes that I have never done before :-)

    Mike
    simonsk8r likes this.

  7. #7
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by mipl View Post
    I am not sure if I will improve my dosing skills but I can say I have already done coffee recipes that I have never done before :-)

    Mike
    If you are interested, this is a link to the official unit description:

    https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/SITHFAB005

    and this is the link to the course (next start)

    https://www.tafensw.edu.au/offering/...Coffee-Skills-


    Mike

  8. #8
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by mipl View Post
    If you are interested, this is a link to the official unit description:

    https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/SITHFAB005

    and this is the link to the course (next start)

    https://www.tafensw.edu.au/offering/...Coffee-Skills-


    Mike
    Ah thanks mate, in Victoria though but appreciate it . Have had a lot of training over the years, but thought would be good to check out an official certified course

  9. #9
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    42
    I am sure you will find a SITHFAB005 course in Victoria as well

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    81
    Looks to be great value, I might put my name down for the August/September intake.

  11. #11
    338
    338 is online now
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    460
    Great find Mipl, pricing reminds me of when Tafe used to be good value, seems it is again.

  12. #12
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    42
    Hi

    finished the course on Saturday. It was very interesting and I really enjoyed it. Not as in depth as I was hoping for but still good. The morning started with an assessment first in Food Safety and Hygiene (mostly multiple choice) and then an assessment in Prepare and Serve Espresso Coffee. (multiple choice and free text) After that we had to present (timed) 10 Espresso based coffees in the correct service wear. (Long Black, Cappuccino, Cafe Latte, Soy Milk Flat White, Ristretto Piccolo Latte, Short & Long Macchiato, Skim Milk Mocha. Short Black and Doppio we didn't need to present because they are part of the other recipes. I finished first and the helped two or three other people with their milk texturing. Not that I did it for them but I showed them how I do it (My milk based coffees always got extra praise during the test :-) Latte Art was not on the menu. So maybe next I am looking for a course for that. Not that I am interested in working in the industry, I have a good job as IT Manager, but just for myself :-)
    simonsk8r and 338 like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    941
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    I did this Certificate course at my local TAFE about 10 years ago. ($50. I think for about 12 hours of instruction)
    There were 12 students made up of several young women who were employed as "Baristas", a couple of school kids from an upmarket family, and a few oldies like me.
    Three of the so-called "Baristas" announced early on that they didn't drink coffee which made me vow to avoid their Cafes.
    Me and the 'kids' were the most passionate coffee drinkers on the course.
    They were using Vittoria commercial bean so no matter what you did the coffee was very ordinary, but it was a lot of fun.
    The Trainer was a great guy and obviously enthusiastic about coffee and appreciated having others like him to work with.
    Nothing on Latte Art which was a pity as I don't really get much opportunity to do it at home (particularly now with the steamer on the blink)
    mipl likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •