Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mjoyce
  • 1 Post By beensean
  • 2 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By Jackster

Thread: How to filter out coffee grounds for disposal?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    237

    How to filter out coffee grounds for disposal?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I managed to block my sink pipe by being lazy with disposing my coffee grounds. I had the plumber around yesterday and one thing he did was to clear my pipes.

    I've got a coffee plunger. Is there some kind of disposable porous bag I can buy that I can filter the coffee grounds into after I rinse my coffee plunger? What are other suggestions? Anything I can buy from KMart or some other place like that?

    I don't have a garden that I can put the coffee grounds into. I tried using my metal sieve to catch the coffee grounds in but it's a bit of a pain getting the coffee grounds out of the sieve, unless there is some trick to it I don't know of.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by pamount View Post
    I managed to block my sink pipe by being lazy with disposing my coffee grounds. I had the plumber around yesterday and one thing he did was to clear my pipes.

    I've got a coffee plunger. Is there some kind of disposable porous bag I can buy that I can filter the coffee grounds into after I rinse my coffee plunger? What are other suggestions? Anything I can buy from KMart or some other place like that?

    I don't have a garden that I can put the coffee grounds into. I tried using my metal sieve to catch the coffee grounds in but it's a bit of a pain getting the coffee grounds out of the sieve, unless there is some trick to it I don't know of.

    Thanks.


    If you don't have a garden or large plant on the balcony, your toilet has much larger pipes, probably 100mm not 50mm like your sink. Garden or large plant would be my first choice.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    84
    Thatís the thing I hate most about plunger coffee... cleaning them! I always scrape most of the grounds into the bin first but there will always be some in the sink. One reason I prefer aero press or drip filter - zero mess!
    Jackster likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    1,061
    Agreed, the grounds from Plunger coffee are messy. I used to knock them out of the plunger on to my rubber Tamp-mat as best I could and then run a long thin plastic spatula around the inside of the glass to remove the remaining ones. The plunger then got rinsed under the tap and what was left went down the drain. I guess you could wipe out the plunger bowl with paper towel as well which would leave very little to flush down the sink.
    Lets face it, sinks accumulate a lot of gunge even if you are meticulous with what you send down them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Lets face it, sinks accumulate a lot of gunge even if you are meticulous with what you send down them.
    I remember a friend bought some product from Bunnings that helps to clear blockages from the pipe under the sink (I forget what the product is called). Maybe I should look at buying that to keep aside.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by pamount View Post
    I remember a friend bought some product from Bunnings that helps to clear blockages from the pipe under the sink (I forget what the product is called). Maybe I should look at buying that to keep aside.
    Drano. From Coles or Woolies and it goes under the Mr Muscle brand now.
    Be very careful not to inhale it because it is potent.

    It is about $11 or $12 from memory. Cheaper than a plumber..........

    I’ve removed complete blockages in about 10/15 minutes with the gel version, but mostly the powdered form works well.

    Great for maintaining shower wastes (several long haired females here).

    Click to enlarge image below.

    F82CBB18-4F5B-423B-96A1-C6BEAF5AF0F2.jpeg
    Last edited by EZCFlair; 21st December 2018 at 09:20 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    fairly static
    Posts
    197
    You can also try Actizyme from Woollies and other places; cheaper at Coles I think but not available in Bunnings. Costs more, but no worries about toxic inhalation. Use last thing before you go to bed so it has time to work. We use it mainly for the shower waste. I am well acquainted with a long haired female also.
    EZCFlair likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by pamount View Post
    I've got a coffee plunger. Is there some kind of disposable porous bag I can buy that I can filter the coffee grounds into after I rinse my coffee plunger? What are other suggestions?
    These are the go. Help keep grounds outof your cup too.
    Large: https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/V...-large-special
    Small: https://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/V...-small-special
    Dimal and 338 like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    788
    Under sink blockage is a easy job, just undo the P trap and clean it. Even a plunger would have fixed it.
    I'm going with the aeropress suggestion. Easier cleanup by far. The paper filters would be less mess that the metal filter
    338 likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member simonsk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    1,031
    Yep, plungers are tricky :P.

    I just use a long enough spoon and scoop them out. It's inevitable that a few will go down the sink, otherwise fill with a bit of water and pour onto a small tea strainer.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    788
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    The baggies that Flynn has linked look the goods too. I didn't know they existed
    Dimal likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •