I came across this news article today - sounds like she took the crash course into to Coffee
Too much coffee lands sleepy teenager in hospital with caffeine overdose
A TEENAGE girl had to be taken to hospital with a caffeine overdose after drinking seven double espressos while working in her familys sandwich shop.
Jasmine Willis, 17, drank the coffees in quick succession after going to work having had only five hours sleep.
After beginning to babble at customers and bursting into tears, she went home. She then became feverish and was unable to breathe, and doctors confirmed she had experienced an overdose of caffeine.
She said: "I had only had five hours sleep and was at work at 8am, so I thought I would have a double espresso to perk me up.
"It did the trick and I felt better, so I had one after another and they seemed to be working, because I felt great. I could take on the world."
Later, Jasmine began to feel unwell. She said: "My nerves were all over the place. I was crying in front of the customers and had tears streaming down my face. People kept asking me if I was all right."
Back at home in Stanley, County Durham, the teenager began to feel seriously ill.
"I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating. I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast, and I think I was going into shock," she said.
She was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she was suffering from a caffeine overdose.
Jasmine, who has now made a full recovery, said she wanted to warn other people of the dangers of taking too much caffeine. "I did not realise this could happen to you, and I only hope other people learn from my mistake," she said. "I felt exhausted for days afterwards."
Her father, Gary, said: "I have always stressed to my children the importance of moderation, but Jasmine got caught out on this occasion."
Claire Williamson, a nutrition scientist from the British Nutrition Foundation, said she had never heard of a person being hospitalised after a coffee overdose and added: "As far as I am aware, it is quite unusual."
She said there was no recommended daily intake for caffeine, except for pregnant women.
"The main point to make is that she was very young and children dont tend to tolerate caffeine as well," Ms Williamson said. "We tend to build up a tolerance. And I think she drunk 14 espressos, which is an awful lot for anyone to take in one go.
"The fact she drank so much and that she is not used to such a lot of coffee are the main contributing factors. Some people are more susceptible than others. Some people cannot tolerate it and get symptoms such as anxiety if they drink too much.
"For the general population moderate intake is not considered to be harmful."
A spokeswoman for the Food Standards Agency in Scotland said caffeine reduced the ability of the body to absorb iron, particularly in young women. She said it was advisable not to drink coffee straight after eating for this reason.
A spokesman for the hospital said they were making no official comment on the case.
• ONE normal shot of espresso contains 100mg of caffeine.
A cup of filter coffee contains slightly less, around 80mg, while a cup of instant coffee has around 75mg per cup.
Tea also contains caffeine, roughly half the amount found in coffee at around 40mg a cup.
Many fizzy drinks provide a shot of caffeine. A can of Coca Cola contains 34mg, while a can of Pepsi has slightly more.
Energy drinks, such as Irn-Bru 32 and Red Bull, which have become increasingly popular usually contain about 80mg of caffeine per can.
The tonic wine Buckfast, a popular tipple in Scotland, contains a staggering 375mg of caffeine per litre - one factor that has been blamed for Buckfasts association with anti-social behaviour.
• A STUDY by the British Journal of Addiction claimed that one in ten people in the UK was addicted to caffeine, the worlds most commonly used drug.
By stimulating the central nervous system, caffeine can increase energy levels and improve memory and alertness. The effect is temporary, however, although it may take up to five days for caffeine to leave the system altogether.
Caffeine is absorbed by the stomach and small intestine within 45 minutes. After three to fours hours, half of this has been eliminated by an average person in good health. Pregnant women take up to ten hours to eliminate half the caffeine consumed, while a person with liver disease can take 96 hours to eliminate half the caffeine.
Tests on cyclists have shown caffeine can increase energy levels by 30 per cent. Caffeine overuse can lead to dizziness, flushed skin, loss of appetite, nausea and stomach aches.
More than 400 milligrams of coffee can lead to caffeine intoxication, which is caused by over-stimulation of the central nervous system.
Caffeine-induced psychosis can cause panic attacks and symptoms comparable with mental illness, but can be cured by cutting out caffeine.
There have been several deaths from an overdose of caffeine pills, but none recorded from coffee. In theory, it would take about 80 to 100 cups to kill