Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree19Likes
  • 3 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By spin_addict
  • 1 Post By TampIt
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Ardent
  • 1 Post By kelvin8r
  • 2 Post By artman
  • 2 Post By rossross
  • 1 Post By Leaf_Bean_Machine
  • 3 Post By Leaf_Bean_Machine
  • 2 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By kexkez

Thread: List of roasters in Perth

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4

    List of roasters in Perth

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

    I'm new to the forum, I bought a Breville Barista Express about 3 months ago and have been experimenting with various beans. I'm looking for something that comes through quite sweet and malty when making a flat white and so far have only found this once and sadly it was a monthly special from Yahava.

    I've tried the following roasters, although not every bean they have, but certainly the ones they recommended when I described what I was looking for:


    • Blacklist
    • Darkstar
    • Leftfield
    • Yahava


    Can anyone recommend some more Perth roasters or a specific bean to try? I'm also aware of Laika, just having trouble getting to them during their opening hours.

    These are the tasting notes from the coffee I liked - Lots of malt, toffee sweetness, red apple, apricot, smooth mouthfeel, clean finish

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    1,108
    Your tasting notes won't help me any, but I have been using
    Crema gourmet roasters- canning Vale
    Leaf bean machine- Spearwood
    And your blacklist have been ok
    Just got a kilo of grinders from Woolies with a best before of 4/21, it's a bit darker than my usual (can notice that in the hand grinder)!, Though it says medium roast. It's on same grinder setting as last blacklist roast, so fresh is good.

    Im sure beanbay here will have something to your liking, and perhaps browse the taste notes there for something delicious...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    110
    I use these guys, no particular recommendations on beans though

    Antz in ya pantz
    Co lab coffee
    slamdunc likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,505
    Add Grand Central in Bibra Lake. They are mostly wholesalers these days, however they always have a few interesting medium roasted SOs as well as some quality house blends.

    +1 for Antz In Ya Pantz - although they are still pretty variable from what I have heard. Last time I went there (a year or more ago), I found 2 or 3 really good roasts amidst their offerings - together with a few duds.
    slamdunc likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,990
    I remember those tasting notes from when we visited Yahava in Margaret River last year, that was our favourite of all their beans on offer at the time. Good luck on your quest!
    slamdunc likes this.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    28
    Stash Coffee roasters - In Denmark
    Humblebee - In Mt Hawthorn & Rivervale
    slamdunc likes this.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    58
    Port City Roaster in fremantle has a good selection of freshly roasted beans. Happy Days and Early Bird are my favourites.

    Also Gesha Coffee in fremantle is deliciously creamy. Queens Crown is the one I've tried, I've been told Singing Rooster is also good
    slamdunc likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,475
    I find that almost always, when I do a roast of the Brazil yellow burbon especiale beans from beanbay they always give smooth and chocolate like notes in flat whites.

    Cheers
    slamdunc and kelvin8r like this.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4
    Thanks all, that gives me plenty of new options to follow up on. We actually tried some Crema coffee at a cafe tucked away in Busselton a couple of weeks ago and it was very good. I took a note of the roaster but it must have slipped my mind.

    I didn't realise the forum also had a coffee roaster, just having a browse on beanbay, I'll need to try some from there as well.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    I find that almost always, when I do a roast of the Brazil yellow burbon especiale beans from beanbay they always give smooth and chocolate like notes in flat whites.

    Cheers
    Sounds good, one of my favourite beans when I was living in the UK was a bourbon blend, I'll need to get my hands on some.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Perth / Lombok
    Posts
    21
    Depending on where you are located but a visit to bibra lakes industrial area is worth it there are three roasters there within 1 klm of each other, be aware of opening times, they are mentioned in this thread but all are very friendly and helpful and have good beans both green and roasted .

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rossross View Post
    Depending on where you are located but a visit to bibra lakes industrial area is worth it there are three roasters there within 1 klm of each other, be aware of opening times, they are mentioned in this thread but all are very friendly and helpful and have good beans both green and roasted .
    I'm in Maylands so will try some of the closer ones first but not a problem to go past Bibra Lakes for a browse if there are three there.

    I was in Freo yesterday and nipped into Gesha when I was passing for a look. All their coffee had a BestBy date and no roasted date, is that the norm for them? The advice I was given was always to buy from a roaster that prints the date it was roasted. Nice packaging though...
    Last edited by Javaphile; 2nd June 2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: corrected an auto-correct :)

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    14
    Have a chat to Nic at Precision Roasters in bassendean/Bayswater. I’ve been buying from him for years. I’d suggest his Ethiopian Sidamo but tbh I’m not sure how he roasts them cause I only buy green beans from him. Not even sure if he roast it as a single origin anyway. He did used to do a sample selection on his website so you could try everything. Normally I buy in person but I’m a lot more time poor these days and my last order of 8kg only cost $5 in delivery so pretty cheap.

  14. #14
    Senior Member flashpixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    319
    Not sure if the omission was intentional or not, however Bolt Coffee in Hazelmere, soon to be in Bayswater is very popular. A Google search will help you find them.
    My favourite is “Blue”. Plum, Shiraz, Dark Chocolate.
    Owner Steve is a unique but very passionate character who has worked hard to develop a consistent blend.

  15. #15
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    524
    Strolling the isles of a Local Farmer Jacks recently (a grocery store) I spotted some 200g valve bags with an FCR, Freemantle Coffee Roasters, label on them. There were three different blends on offer, so scoured the valve bag for a date reference and found an MFG number (manufacturing number I presumed) clearly printed on the top of the bag, which indicated to me that they were roasted withing 2 weeks. $5 for 200g is not aseconomical as home roasting via BeanBays offerings but I decided to give them a go anyway. I was pleasantly surprised, so much so, I had another "look" 6 weeks later and there were fresh bags available with recent MFG dates, tried them again (also out of curiosity) and again very pleasantly surprised by the result. No idea who FCR is and have no affiliation, but as an emergency option, in the future, their offerings will be strongly considered, if needed, due to circumstances. There were also colourful "Gesha" bags on offer from another local roaster I presume, but they had no roast date on them so avoided.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    58
    The Gesha Coffee is really good, also roasted in Fremantle. Work sell their coffee at the cafe so get one most days.

    Ill have to ask them to add a roasting date to their coffee bags, or at least ask them how to work out the roasting date from the BeanBay date

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    These are the tasting notes from the coffee I liked - Lots of malt, toffee sweetness, red apple, apricot, smooth mouthfeel, clean finish
    A bit of a guess here but that description sounds like it might be a washed Central American, perhaps a Nicaragua, Guatemalan or a Mexican bean?

  18. #18
    Site Sponsor Leaf_Bean_Machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bibra Lake, Perth, WA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Your tasting notes won't help me any, but I have been using
    Crema gourmet roasters- canning Vale
    Leaf bean machine- Spearwood
    And your blacklist have been ok
    Just got a kilo of grinders from Woolies with a best before of 4/21, it's a bit darker than my usual (can notice that in the hand grinder)!, Though it says medium roast. It's on same grinder setting as last blacklist roast, so fresh is good.

    Im sure beanbay here will have something to your liking, and perhaps browse the taste notes there for something delicious...
    Thanks so much for using and recommending our coffee. As a family, owned and operated business we really appreciate you supporting us. There are so many coffee roasters in Perth now that it makes our day to have people referring us. Kind Regards, Fleur
    Jackster likes this.

  19. #19
    Site Sponsor Leaf_Bean_Machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Bibra Lake, Perth, WA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    Strolling the isles of a Local Farmer Jacks recently (a grocery store) I spotted some 200g valve bags with an FCR, Freemantle Coffee Roasters, label on them. There were three different blends on offer, so scoured the valve bag for a date reference and found an MFG number (manufacturing number I presumed) clearly printed on the top of the bag, which indicated to me that they were roasted withing 2 weeks. $5 for 200g is not aseconomical as home roasting via BeanBays offerings but I decided to give them a go anyway. I was pleasantly surprised, so much so, I had another "look" 6 weeks later and there were fresh bags available with recent MFG dates, tried them again (also out of curiosity) and again very pleasantly surprised by the result. No idea who FCR is and have no affiliation, but as an emergency option, in the future, their offerings will be strongly considered, if needed, due to circumstances. There were also colourful "Gesha" bags on offer from another local roaster I presume, but they had no roast date on them so avoided.
    Well done checking the roasting date and very wise to avoid coffee roasters who don't give you this information. That is one benefit of ordering direct from a local Perth coffee roaster, in that you will know that you are getting a freshly roasted product. Here's to more delicious coffee.
    Dimal, TampIt and flashpixx like this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Jackster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaf_Bean_Machine View Post
    Thanks so much for using and recommending our coffee. As a family, owned and operated business we really appreciate you supporting us. There are so many coffee roasters in Perth now that it makes our day to have people referring us. Kind Regards, Fleur
    Oh, your gold coin coffees are bloody good too!
    Dimal and rossross like this.

  21. #21
    Member kexkez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southwest WA
    Posts
    80
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Brand- beans
    5 senses - Compton rd
    Port city rosters- Happy Days or early bird ( for a stronger bean)
    Antz in ya pants- Cuban Serrano ( not always available)
    Down south you could try Margaret river roasters or yallingup Roasters
    Dimal likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •