Results 1 to 32 of 32
Like Tree39Likes
  • 5 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 4 Post By Yelta
  • 6 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By Mono
  • 6 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 5 Post By Andy
  • 1 Post By 338
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 4 Post By noidle22
  • 2 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By noidle22
  • 2 Post By Javaphile

Thread: What information do I need to put on the label?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16

    What information do I need to put on the label?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Looking to start selling, anyone know much about consumer law and labelling? Government websites honestly just leave me confused so looking for industry knowledge.

  2. #2
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    896
    Revan you will probably get more responses and more useful answers if you let people know what you plan to sell. Coffee machines, grinders, roasted coffee, green beans, drugs, etc?
    Andy, Dimal, robusto and 2 others like this.

  3. #3
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,123
    !!SNAP!!

    What are you selling?

    Mal.
    338 likes this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Revan you will probably get more responses and more useful answers if you let people know what you plan to sell. Coffee machines, grinders, roasted coffee, green beans, drugs, etc?
    Fair play. I'm planning to sell imported roasted arabica beans and sell them in 1kg bags.. So yes, drugs by the kilogram.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Hey guys, sorry I made a joke about coffee and drugs but due to political correctness you will be unable to experience the joy of it, to offset this I will have you know that you may freely carry on in dispair and misery of nihilism however.


    So I am selling roasted coffee beans.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Roasted beans.

  7. #7
    Senior Member flashpixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    280
    I'd start by looking at what's on the roasted bean bag of your favourite roasted bean... perhaps

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,059
    Yer certainly a man of few words Revan, most people take the time to type a few lines of introduction before asking for advice.
    Last edited by Yelta; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:57 PM. Reason: Syntax

  9. #9
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,668
    The people who can help you best will be your direct competition and have no incentive to assist you.
    robusto, topshot, Yelta and 3 others like this.

  10. #10
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Yer certainly a man of few words Revan, most people take the time to type a few words of introduction before asking for advice.
    Cack..... great response Yelta
    flashpixx likes this.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Yer certainly a man of few words Revan, most people take the time to type a few words of introduction before asking for advice.

    In my defence I did actually take the time to post up a response to @338, something like "coffee.. so yes dr*gs." but moderation laws are a thing for reasons and stuff.

    I think I understand the packaging requirements now, one will see reccuring themes.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Hmm.. the server of this forum doesn't like my writings it seems. Must wait for moderation.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    All I wanted to do is make a joke about selling coffee and another substance and their similar addictive influence. I had a laugh. @338 Coffee my friend, just coffee.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,699
    Maybe put the stuff in small ziplock bags or wrap it in foil? I wouldn't write too much down.
    Andy, Mono, topshot and 3 others like this.

  15. #15
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    17,029
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Hmm.. the server of this forum doesn't like my writings it seems. Must wait for moderation.
    I suspect it's the @ that you are trying to put in front of the username (this 'aint Facebook!). I couldn't see any other obvious reason the server would continue to hide your posts.

    I'm planning to sell imported roasted arabica beans and sell them in 1kg bags
    I hope they are stupid cheap? If you retail at about $12/kg you might sell some but still run the risk of getting into a price war with one of the existing importers.
    Landed age of the coffee will generally make it sell cheap and air freight is too expensive.

    I suggest do your market research before dropping a wad.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Yer certainly a man of few words Revan, most people take the time to type a few lines of introduction before asking for advice.

    Well one must kind of keep on the low down when dealing in these type of trades.....






    ...Coffee trades that is. These beans are so good I swear they would get stolen!

  17. #17
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    896
    Revan, here is a thread which has some of what you need - https://coffeesnobs.com.au/off-topic...-roasters.html I personally don't know the answer.

    Interesting business model you have. Do you have an interest in coffee? I only ask as roasted coffee really only has a limited time when it is at it's optimum, say 5 weeks and some say less. By roasting outside Australia your time to sell in that window is reduced. That said plenty sell stale coffee, but that is usually priced at a commodity level. That may be your plan, but then you would want to factor in the supermarkets labelling requirements.



    PS I see Andy has posted the same thoughts
    Andy likes this.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I suspect it's the ampersand that you are trying to put in front of the username (this 'aint Facebook!). I couldn't see any other obvious reason the server would continue to hide your posts.



    I hope they are stupid cheap? If you retail at about $12/kg you might sell some but still run the risk of getting into a price war with one of the existing importers.
    Landed age of the coffee will generally make it sell cheap and air freight is too expensive.

    I suggest do your market research before dropping a wad.

    Mmm.. indeed this is wise. I will keep prices just above the competitors and take what I can get.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Revan, here is a thread which has some of what you need - https://coffeesnobs.com.au/off-topic...-roasters.html I personally don't know the answer.

    Interesting business model you have. Do you have an interest in coffee? I only ask as roasted coffee really only has a limited time when it is at it's optimum, say 5 weeks and some say less. By roasting outside Australia your time to sell in that window is reduced. That said plenty sell stale coffee, but that is usually priced at a commodity level. That may be your plan, but then you would want to factor in the supermarkets labelling requirements.



    PS I see Andy has posted the same thoughts
    Thank you.

    Not profoundly, I am mainly concerned with business, that said I do hold high respect for the arts and archieving quality and high standards in all that one pursues.

    Roasting infrastructure VS commodity pricing - is now my research. Thank you gentlemen.

    My favourite roast is actually Vittoria.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Mmm.. indeed this is wise. I will keep prices just above the competitors and take what I can get.
    You seem to be banking on the existence of some stupid customers?

    I don't see how the margins can work, unless you have some remarkably cheap source not locked into the c price in any way, with almost zero roasting costs and subject to a special bonus introductory air freight rates. Or someone in the supply chain is selling $10 notes for $5.
    Andy likes this.

  21. #21
    Senior Member noidle22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    My favourite roast is actually Vittoria.
    I was on the fence but now I'm pretty sure this thread is some sort of bait.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    You seem to be banking on the existence of some stupid customers?

    I don't see how the margins can work, unless you have some remarkably cheap source not locked into the c price in any way, with almost zero roasting costs and subject to a special bonus introductory air freight rates. Or someone in the supply chain is selling $10 notes for $5.

    No. I'm just very new to the game and my "business model" changes VERY fast. I could go for wholesale coffee from local roasters if you guys think that's a better option? Do inform me.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by noidle22 View Post
    I was on the fence but now I'm pretty sure this thread is some sort of bait.
    Haha no no! I am really like this. I am a profound individual in real life too. Everything is normal, I'm used to it.

    So not a fan of Vittoria? That's cool.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    No. I'm just very new to the game and my "business model" changes VERY fast. I could go for wholesale coffee from local roasters if you guys think that's a better option? Do inform me.
    Sorry mate. This is sounding more and more like a wind-up.
    flashpixx and gordons like this.

  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Sorry mate. This is sounding more and more like a wind-up.

    Oh god.


    So I'm now convicted guilty by the "social" police? well boys I had a good run but you got me. What is my sentence?



    INTERNATIONAL ROAST FOR LIFE!!! NOOOOOO!!!!

  26. #26
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Oh god.


    So I'm now convicted guilty by the "social" police? well boys I had a good run but you got me. What is my sentence?



    INTERNATIONAL ROAST FOR LIFE!!! NOOOOOO!!!!

    Or you could grow up, one or the other. No big deal either way.

  27. #27
    Senior Member noidle22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bathurst
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    So not a fan of Vittoria? That's cool.
    Nah not in my experience, however I've never had it freshly roasted wherever it is they roast it, might be ok then. Whenever it gets to the shops where you can actually buy it it's pretty much stale.
    338 likes this.

  28. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Or you could grow up, one or the other. No big deal either way.

    Look Barry, we all disscussed the logistics and we can't get the beans to the consumer in time for the beans to be at the desired standard of "freshness", but if we could just use your "O'Speedwagon" we could pull it of? What do you say?

  29. #29
    Senior Member flashpixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Oh god.


    So I'm now convicted guilty by the "social" police? well boys I had a good run but you got me. What is my sentence?



    INTERNATIONAL ROAST FOR LIFE!!! NOOOOOO!!!!
    bye bye little boy

  30. #30
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,878
    Let's keep it civil folks.


    Java "Don't make Dad pull the car over!" phile
    Dimal and Sullo like this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    What about flipping green beans?

  32. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    16
    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Maybe I will try tea.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •