Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Melbourne coffee guide

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    120

    Melbourne coffee guide

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So is the subject out yet?
    On the website it appears as if the guide is being sold already. Anyone saw it anywhere in the shops? I dont know even why I am so interested, I have my favourite spots sorted out, but just out of curiosity I guess...

    Ed

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Quote Originally Posted by chartres link=1221787828/0#0 date=1221787828
    So is the subject out yet?
    On the website it appears as if the guide is being sold already. Anyone saw it anywhere in the shops? I dont know even why I am so interested, I have my favourite spots sorted out, but just out of curiosity I guess...

    Ed

    Yes- it has been out for about 3 weeks:

    4.5 beans or better for:[*]Coffee HQ city[*]Swithcboard[*]BBB[*]DiBella[*]Brunswick East Project[*]Mixed Business[*]Liar Liar[*]Icoco[*]Atomica[*]Batch[*]A minor place[*]Ici[*]St Ali[*]Sugardough[*]Appetite[*]North[*]Primary[*]Galleon[*]7 Grams[*]First Pour[*]Maling Room[*]Palomino[*]Apte[*]Coffee Basics[*]Panini


    Keep in mind that both cafe and coffee were reviewed this year ;)

    Chris


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    I cant say I take too much notice of the beans scale, as theres some (in the Sydney edition anyway) that get a heap of beans and you couldnt pay me to have coffee there, then theres others that i rank as pretty much the best in Sydney, and they get squat.

  4. #4
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1221787828/0#2 date=1221792280
    I cant say I take too much notice of the beans scale, as theres some (in the Sydney edition anyway) that get a heap of beans and you couldnt pay me to have coffee there, then theres others that i rank as pretty much the best in Sydney, and they get squat.
    Yeppers- If its all about the coffee (and isnt it??), the following received 22/25 or better:[*]Coffee HQ[*]Switchboard[*]Liar Liar[*]Icoco[*]Batch[*]Beans & Bagels[*]St Ali[*]Primary[*]7 Grams[*]Growers[*]First Pour[*]Maling Room[*]Coffee Basics

    Chris

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    120

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1221787828/0#1 date=1221791473
    Yes- it has been out for about 3 weeks:

    4.5 beans or better for:
    ...

    Keep in mind that both cafe and coffee were reviewed this year ;)

    Chris
    then I guess I will get one, just for reference.. ;-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    120

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1221787828/0#3 date=1221792953

    Yeppers- If its all about the coffee (and isnt it??), the following received 22/25 or better:
    ...[*]St Ali
    ...
    I wonder if this was StAli prior or post... With or without Mark...

  7. #7
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Quote Originally Posted by chartres link=1221787828/0#5 date=1221796129
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1221787828/0#3 date=1221792953

    Yeppers- If its all about the coffee (and isnt it??), the following received 22/25 or better:
    ...[*]St Ali
    ...
    I wonder if this was StAli prior or post... With or without Mark...
    They would have been reviewed with Mark at the helm...

    Chris

  8. #8
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Hey Chris
    Hate to impose on your time mate
    Is Brisbane in there somewhere?

    KK

  9. #9
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1221787828/0#7 date=1221805914
    Hey Chris
    Hate to impose on your time mate
    Is Brisbane in there somewhere?

    KK

    Nar KK....did you fail geography? Brisvegas is up North and Melboune is located just above the map o Tassie ;D

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    So because Brisbane doesnt have a coffee guide, does that mean that theres no good coffee up north? hahaha

  11. #11
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Well I thought that it may have contained reviews of other cities to compare
    Thatís all? sorry for asking :(

    Said tongue in cheek :P

    KK

  12. #12
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    and replied tongue in cheek also KK.... ;)

    There is a Sydney guide but no guide at this stage for Brisbane...

    rgds

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,946

    Re: Melbourne coffee guide

    Behmor Brazen - $249 - Free Freight
    Im very glad that they decided to give a separate score for coffee as well as for the cafe. I have only had a brief skim of the book, but it looks like this made it a lot easier for them to give credit where credit was due.

    Cheers,

    Luca



Similar Threads

  1. A Current Affair - Instant Coffee Guide.
    By Andy in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10th November 2010, 10:24 AM
  2. Tourist guide to coffee in Italy
    By flynnaus in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th April 2010, 08:35 AM
  3. Looking for a good syphon coffee guide
    By aidan in forum Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd December 2009, 09:24 AM
  4. The Coffee Guide - Melbourne
    By takeaim in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 21st January 2008, 06:11 AM
  5. Sydney Coffee Guide
    By Alucard in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th February 2007, 04:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •