Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 89

Thread: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

  1. #1
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    For those who expressed interest in doing something in Melbourne, Veneziano have kindly offered First Pour as a venue!

    I think?? that the Hobart crew were pretty happy with the outcomes of the afternoon there...http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...8879;start=all

    We will run 2 sessions in Jan and then regular sessions form there onwards.

    Further info to come....

    Chris

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    62

    Re: Di Bartoli Advanced Home Barista Workshop

    chris put me down,,,pending dates!

  3. #3
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Ok Melbourne members. What I have in mind is something along these lines:

    We all bring along our machines, grinders and say 500g or so of our fave coffee to play with. The aim of the session would be to produce the best espresso possible with our own equipment.

    We look at:
    What constitutes an Australian espresso?
    Is that right for my machine?
    What is the best dosing method for my machine?
    How well do I dose and tamp and should I do this naked? ;)
    Do I need to temp. surf and if so, how should I do it?
    Milk texture- what works best with my machine? (NB this will not be a latte art session but you are welcome to bring your fave cups to impress us with your skills!
    Other- as arranged in advance by the group.

    I think we would need 4-5 hours and the session would be limited to no more than 8 participants. Ill also bring along a demo machine- a Giotto or Minore II for those yet to play with one and as per usual, your course fee will act as a credit towards any machinery you purchase in the month following the course. Im happy to throw a hottop into the car also if anybody would like to play...

    At the moment, the stumbling block is venue and date. Things are tight at the academy and it seems our gear would need to be checked prior to use...New rules ;)

    If anybody would like to offer a venue, that would be great. If not...I have a plan B....

    Chris



  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    given date constraints, i would be keen....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    20

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Chris put me down although it is difficult with dates this time of the year. Also my Veneziano A1 is heavy to lift.

    John

  6. #6
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    John- you get 1st dibs on the demo Giotto ;)

    C

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    89

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Hi Chris,
    like everyone else - Id be keen to attend, depending on dates.

    I might have to do 3 trips from the car though.
    Rancilio S27, Mazzer SJ and the water tank for the S27.

    Frankie

  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    All, we have 5 starters so far, so it looks like we will be viable. Pricing TBD once we can confirm a venue...Stay tuned....

    Chris

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Hi Chris,

    I am certainly interested BUT date will be the issue.

  10. #10
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Guys- perhaps a day in Jan is more realistic??

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    145

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Im also interested if theres space.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Chris,

    I didnt see a proposed date anywhere so thought I might as well suggest one. What about the second weekend in December, 9, 10? It is the only one I have left this year.

    I doubt we are going to get a date that will suit everybody anyway.

    January is probably going to be less pressured for those who are around.

  13. #13
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Rowdee....I am pretty sure that we have a venue now....the academy is looking too hard...

    We would be limited to 6 on say 2 saturdays in Jan...

    Suggestions?

    Chris

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Chris,

    Any weekend in Jan is fine with me apart from the last, Australia Day weekend.


  15. #15
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Ok everyone, the Coffee Academy is out, but we have a few possible venues which will work well for up to 6 participants...So we are heading towards sufficient numbers for two sessions.

    Ill look for a couple of sessions in January and perhaps this can be an ongionf thing which runs every few months (or more regularly) as required in Melbourne...

    Chris

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    89

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    January sounds fine to me Chris,
    As rowdee says - its generally less stressful around that time of year.

    Keep me on the list of interested parties.

    Frankie

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    dont think i can make the 13th jan, but could do the 20th....
    but i like the idea of a regular thing... even if i only go to 1, with a small baby, its easier to know i have some different dates to choose from....


    cheers,

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Williamstown Victoria
    Posts
    85

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Gday Chris, Id also like to register my interest in this course, but like Geekman lugging a Veneziano A1 could be an issue.

    Bart.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,949

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Hmm ... instead of you two lugging A1s around, why not just find a place with an A2 - problem solved ;P

  20. #20
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    or....they and a friend could each buy a 1/3 share in your A3 ;)

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,949

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1164001177/15#19 date=1164542285
    or....they and a friend could each buy a 1/3 share in your A3 ;)
    Hey, if we could get a five group mistral from Kees, you could run a whole master class on one machine! I think that LM also made one five group linea ...

    Cheers,

    Luca


  22. #22
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    The experienced barista working with two foot operated steamwands may now prepare two pitchers at the same time.
    :o :o :o

  23. #23
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Gorgeous machines.....We have our eyes on one for bg&d 8-)

    Chris

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    389

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1164001177/15#21 date=1164583180
    The experienced barista working with two foot operated steamwands may now prepare two pitchers at the same time.
    :o :o :o
    Would like to see that in action. Do they does the portafilter using just their mouth as well? :D

  25. #25
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeechaser link=1164001177/15#23 date=1164584017
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1164001177/15#21 date=1164583180
    The experienced barista working with two foot operated steamwands may now prepare two pitchers at the same time.
    :o :o :o
    Would like to see that in action. Do they does the portafilter using just their mouth as well? *:D
    They have a Mistral at Mecca here in Sydney Coffeechaser. I dont think Ive ever seen two jugs on the go at once, although I know they have the footswitch for steam.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    389

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    Yeah I was at Mecca the other day for a few cups. Very consistnet coffee that was produced. Nice machine for sure. Wasnt that busy so I didnt see 2 pitchers done at once either. Great cafe though.

  27. #27
    Senior Groupie LindaD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    450

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Espresso Techniques Session

    I would love to just come and watch, learn and get advice if that is possible.

    And maybe drink the coffees?....and give praise with lots of ooohs and aaahs? *:D ;)

    You can count me in if just being a spectator is allowed.

    - Linda

  28. #28
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Alrighty then!

    Veneziano Caffe have very kindly offered us the use of First Pour on 13th and 20th January for a 10am start (Arrive at 9.30 for setup and coffee). Thanks so much to David Makin and Peter Wolff for again making things happen for CSers.

    The charge for the session will be $100 and a light lunch will be supplied.

    For those who have expressed interest, please PM me with your preferred date and details for your invoice. We will close each session once we have 6 participants...

    Ill ensure that we have a David Makin signature machine and a Giotto as well as a grinder or two for those with vehicles too small to fit your 3 group Synessos and LM FB-80s in *;) ;D

    This will be fun!

  29. #29
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    We have confirmation from two (Geekman and Mr_Fox) who have expressed interest...

    We may have to run one session only on 13th Jan. I have PMd all those who have not yet contacted me to enquire as to whether we are on or not ;)

    regards

    Chris

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Chris,

    i have emailed you with my interest. I can only make the 20th though....

    so come on all you css!!!! book it in for the 20th!!!

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    397

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Sorry been out of action, I am fine with the 13th but if need be can change to 20th to keep krusty company. I have emailed you Chris.

  32. #32
    Senior Groupie LindaD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    450

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1164001177/15#28 date=1165366093
    We have confirmation from two (Geekman and Mr_Fox) who have expressed interest...

    We may have to run one session only on 13th Jan. I have PMd all those who have not yet contacted me to enquire as to whether we are on or not ;)

    regards

    Chris
    Did you not get my pm Chris?. *:-?
    I sent you a message the next day when you asked about date choice and invoice details, expressing my interest.
    -Linda

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    62

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    20th is ok for me too

  34. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    13

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi, Im new to the forum and this is my first post. I would be really interested in coming to either session. I need to have one post to be able to send a pm, so this is it. Now for the pm...

  35. #35
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi Chris I would like to come on the 20th if there are places still available. Junior is a little heavy though. Fiona

  36. #36
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Quote Originally Posted by fiona link=1164001177/30#34 date=1165633074
    Hi *Chris *I would like to come on the 20th if there are places still available. *Junior is a little heavy though. *Fiona
    Fiona, I highly recommend that you bring your own machine....not much value if you dont.....regards

    Chris

  37. #37
    Member jazzy_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    61

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hey Chris

    Im definitely interested - pending further info on dates.

    Darren

  38. #38
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1164001177/15#27 date=1164755841
    Alrighty then!

    Veneziano Caffe have very kindly offered us the use of First Pour on 13th and 20th January for a 10am start (Arrive at 9.30 for setup and coffee). Thanks so much to David Makin and Peter Wolff for again making things happen for CSers.

    The charge for the session will be $100 and a light lunch will be supplied.

    For those who have expressed interest, please PM me with your preferred date and details for your invoice. We will close each session once we have 6 participants...

    Ill ensure that we have a David Makin signature machine and a Giotto as well as a grinder or two for those with vehicles too small to fit your 3 group Synessos and LM FB-80s in *;) ;D

    This will be fun!
    Hi all- Im just rebirthing this topic now.

    All those who expressed interest have received email notice and a request for confirmation so that I can invoice. One payment is received, your spot is secure and Ill open all spaces on 31st December.

    We have 13th and 20th Jan booked at 1st pour and some spaces in each session. We will run with minimum four participants and close each session at six participants. There is no longer a Pulling shots class offered at the academy so this is a great alternative! Drop me a line if youd like to join us ;)

    regards

    Chris

  39. #39
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1164001177/30#37 date=1167288545
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1164001177/15#27 date=1164755841
    Alrighty then!

    Veneziano Caffe have very kindly offered us the use of First Pour on 13th and 20th January for a 10am start (Arrive at 9.30 for setup and coffee). Thanks so much to David Makin and Peter Wolff for again making things happen for CSers.

    The charge for the session will be $100 and a light lunch will be supplied.

    For those who have expressed interest, please PM me with your preferred date and details for your invoice. We will close each session once we have 6 participants...

    Ill ensure that we have a David Makin signature machine and a Giotto as well as a grinder or two for those with vehicles too small to fit your 3 group Synessos and LM FB-80s in *;) ;D

    This will be fun!
    Hi all- Im just rebirthing this topic now.

    All those who expressed interest have received email notice and a request for confirmation so that I can invoice. One payment is received, your spot is secure and Ill open all spaces on 31st December.

    We have 13th and 20th Jan booked at 1st pour and some spaces in each session. We will run with minimum four participants and close each session at six participants. There is no longer a Pulling shots class offered at the academy so this is a great alternative! Drop me a line if youd like to join us ;)

    regards

    Chris

    Ok all- there are presently some spots available both days.....Drop me a line if youd like further info and an invoice....1st in best dressed now ;)

    Chris

  40. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    29

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi,

    Im interested!, ive my Challenge and silvia

    can make the 13th or the 20th, 13th preferred

    just need to know where first pour is, im over in St kilda at the moment!! and new to Melbourne :-), got my satnav to get me there

    Cheers

    dean

  41. #41
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Have emailed you Dean....

    regards

    Chris

    fyi all- 20th is looking pretty much full, spaces in 13th. Many who had expressed interest yet to respond so all spots have now been thrown open...

    C

  42. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    29

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Woo!!!

    ill be able to see what all this fuss is about, at the moment everything Im pulling seems much of a muchness, its only my new batch of beans that tastes different, but thats as the time is 1/2 the time of the prev batch, must set grinder a bit finer methinks!!

  43. #43
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Quote Originally Posted by bleugh link=1164001177/30#41 date=1167890123
    Woo!!!

    ill be able to see what all this fuss is about, at the moment everything Im pulling seems much of a muchness, its only my new batch of beans that tastes different, but thats as the time is 1/2 the time of the prev batch, must set grinder a bit finer methinks!!
    Bleugh, have a look at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1167622442...With a Silvia, I modify my technique to sweep with the base of my finger- you need a lower dose due to the lower showerscreen. I also bend Silvia wands- 15 deg out and forwards- make texturing easier ;)....Happy to assist in the session if you wish....

    Chris

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Chris,

    Did you get my email & transfer? I can only make the 20th.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  45. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    73

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi Chris,
    I like to attend on the 13th but I can make it on the 20th if I have to.
    I should bring my machine and tamper? Is that correct??

    Regards,

    dickwyn

  46. #46
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi Dick- there are spaces in the session on the 13th.

    If youd like to email me, Ill fill you in with all relevant info...

    Chris


  47. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    30

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi Chris,
    Are there still places on the 13th and 20th? And where is First Pour? Am still a newbie - is this a problem?
    Thanks!

  48. #48
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi NMC- there is a space available on each day although this is an advanced session- for people who wish to refine things.

    We all witnessed the Sydney based aftermarth a couple of months ago of what can happen when poor selection of course occurs. In that light, might I suggest that an alternative session might be best?

    Im happy to do a custom session for you either one on one, or with a couple of friends. An alternative might also be Advanced espresso at the Coffee Academy (which I generally teach). Its a great value day and covers: Crop to Cup, Espresso and the Espresso menu, Milk texture and the Milk Coffee menu and cleaning and maintaining your machine. Great value for $200 IMHO....

    David Makin is also running sessions at First Pour. One of these might also suit you....So, you have many options! 8-)

    regards

    Chris

  49. #49
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Session on the 20th is SOLD OUT. All attendees have now been invoiced for the sessions. There is presently one space available for this Saturday 13th Jan....

  50. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    89

    Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session

    Hi Chris,
    A general question on how much "kit" to bring to the sessions.
    We all know we should bring - machine, grinder, tamper and fave coffee but Im just wondering what else may be useful.

    I know you mentioned milk drink making - so jug and thermometer should come?

    What about extras like clear cups/shot glasses - or nakeds if you have them? Am I wrong in assuming that milk/extra water for the machines will be provided?

    Frankie



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sydney Advanced Home Espresso- 28 April?
    By TC in forum General News
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 1st May 2007, 11:36 AM
  2. Angliss Advanced Espresso- CS only session
    By TC in forum General News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26th February 2007, 03:47 PM
  3. Re: Melbourne Advanced Home Espresso Session
    By TC in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th February 2007, 01:58 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th April 2006, 04:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •