Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 180

Thread: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

  1. #1
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,876

    NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ditto.....

    Link to original thread in Coffee Equipment&#124;Roasters... http://<font color="#ffff00"><b><u>h.../u></b></font>

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    It seems like Kimel is the bean of choice in NSW. So be it!

    So far, GregJW, Michelle and Christop have entered, while TG seems to be pondering cup cakes versus cuppacoffee. ;D

    If anyone else would like to join in the fun of roasting, please post here and pm me with your address so that I can send out the beans on 1st May. Ill reply to PMs as to how to make payment ($20).

    Roasters or not, everyone is very welcome to come along on the 24th May to join in the fun. Im sure we can all learn from each other, and it will be a great opportunity to taste how different roast profiles can impact on whats in the cup.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    501

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Hi Dennis

    Count me in......sounds like a lot of fun.

    I will PM you my address.

    Cheers,
    Paolo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Ok,..assuming the ACT is included in NSW.. count me in *gulp*. *

    I doubt that Ill get to the meetup,.. but hey,.. there must be one tech head amonst you that could whack up a webcam *;) .

    You probably still have my addy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Yah, more participants!

    Hope you can make it Remy - let the kids make their own hot chocolate for a day...its a nice drive up here. :)

    PM your address anyway - that way Ill have them all together.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/0#4 date=1208938322
    Yah, more participants!

    Hope you can make it Remy - let the kids make their own hot chocolate for a day...its a nice drive up here. :)

    PM your address anyway - that way Ill have them all together.
    Yep will do now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Oops! just re-read this,.. &lt;&lt;snip&gt;&gt; I will offer any home roasting coffee snobs 3Kg of the voted bean from my stash including postage for $20. You roast it and send 500gm back. The offer is to 10 people only, preference to NSW home roasters who will be attending (if we get too many takers). The tasting will be done by the NSW coffeesnob community at cuppacoffee roastery, all blind. We will cup in plungers. &lt;&lt;/snip&gt;&gt; from here Gathering at cuppacoffee roastery, and since theres a very good chance I might not be able to attend the [s]schlurp & big belly larf[/s] tasting,..please put me 1st on the reserves bench (to fill a spot if less than 10 take up the offer),.. I dont want to be taking a place from someone who could attend for sure.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    802

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Remy, if its a case of being too far to drive perhaps we could tag team - you could drive to Moss Vale, Ill do the rest of the trip?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Viviane link=1208926553/0#7 date=1208987426
    Remy, if its a case of being too far to drive perhaps we could tag team - you could drive to Moss Vale, Ill do the rest of the trip?
    Ooh now that sounds like a plan. *Thanks Viviene that might be the go for me. *

    Im ok with the distance,. I drove to Campbeltown every Friday night straight from work and back to Canberra Monday morning straight to work for 2.5yrs.. so Im ok with that leg of the trip,..and I know I can get to Baulkham Hills easy (I know the meetup is nowhere near) via the M5 because we go there reasonably often. *However what Im not sure about is driving in Sydney traffic, though I think its really not so much the traffic itself, I think Id be fine with that,.. its the fear of getting way off track and missing a turn and ending up miles down the freeway to Newcastle or something,.. I might arrive at the meetup at 4,I had a laugh.

    Having said that,.. I do have a GPS now, just havent used it in Sydney yet,.. so I could very well be ok using that. Or alternatively,..I could drive,..meeet up with you and follow you the rest of the way. *I am actually a bit sick of being afraid of driving and finding my way round in Sydney and wouldnt mind the challenge with my friend GPS helping.

    There have been lots of events in Sydney that I wouldve loved to have gone to in the past, *but missed out on because I was too scared of getting completely lost in that last leg of the trip. The kids and hubby have sporting commitments on the weekends so its really hard to drag hubby (and so would then have to take the kids too) away on a weekend day to go up to Sydney because I want to get to a coffee meet or whatever. It would do wonders, for my confidence however, if I could do it myself,.*shudder*(I just really thought about it).

    As we get closer to the day,.. can I leave that decision til then?.. I need to think(and probably talk myself out of it)some more,..check the maps, set up GPS and stuff. Im such a whuss! *Thanks for the offer Viviene.. thats really cool and youve got me really excited thinking that I might actually get there afterall.

  10. #10
    Wine_of_the_Bean
    Guest

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    As an aside to the "real" comp, Im looking to organise a more informal home v. commercial session. Well have some mystery green pre-roast blend that ill divvy out to those interested the week before Beanbay pickup on May 3. Simply take the greens home, roast them, and bring back May 3. Well have a bit of blind espresso cupping, and those involved can vote on which they prefer. Ill roast some myself to add to the flight of coffees.

    Needed a reason to try and get the CSers who are coming to pick up to have a bit of a gathering and chat about what we have in common...The love of coffee.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    846

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Hey Remy ... if driving a distance isnt an issue, hows about flooring it & coming up for the Qld gig - Ill pick you up in Brizzy & do the remaining trip to Yandina ;D

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    The roastery is located in Sydneys southern suburbs Remy (Caringbah for your GPS), and a fairly direct route off the M5, so you shouldnt face the prospect of a lot of traffic. *Besides, if you can find your way around the ACT, you should easily be able to find a needle in a haystack! ;) ;D

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Ok..now Im confused.. where is the NSW Roast-Off going to be held and any ideas on dates yet?

    EDITED TO ADD: Oh good grief... you guys beat me,.. thanks!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrindOnDemand link=1208926553/0#10 date=1209001729
    Hey Remy ... if driving a distance isnt an issue, hows about flooring it & coming up for the Qld gig - Ill pick you up in Brizzy & do the remaining trip to Yandina ;D
    I would lovvvvvvve to get back up to QLD. *My mother lived on the Gold Coast for 11yrs (Canberra now.. poor thing) and my MIL and SIL+ her family live not far from Bris. It is time for us to do the trip to QLD during Christmas school hols this year, so I might get up to a QLD get-together yet.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy link=1208926553/0#8 date=1209000318
    and I know I can get to Baulkham Hills easy (I know the meetup is nowhere near) via the M5 because we go there reasonably often. *
    See... lost already... that would be M7 of course ::) ..... Im hopeless I tellya..hopeless!!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/0#11 date=1209001732
    The roastery is located in Sydneys southern suburbs Remy (Caringbah for your GPS), and a fairly direct route off the M5, so you shouldnt face the prospect of a lot of traffic. *Besides, if you can find your way around the ACT, you should easily be able to find a needle in a haystack! ;) *;D
    You joke... on an average school day,. just getting the kids to school and back 4.3 km ...I go through round-a-bouts 36 times. There are 9 round-a-bouts to get to school. To get to my mothers house(entirely different route) from the school there are 9 round-a-bouts.

    There are days where I travel back to the school in the evening to drop off then again to pick up son who has basketball training, so theres another 36 times (totalling 72 for the day).. and now he coaches little kids soccer there one day a week also. And some of those days I would also go out again to drop off then pick up eldest daughter at her PT job,.. (totalling 108 times around a round-a-bout for that day) *:o. *So thats at least 324 times per week just to get the kids to their regular events,.. but if I add these to the rest of the running around I do for them and my usual errands ,. I estimate that I would go around a round-a-about at least twice that many times,.. since the shops and most of their friends live past those initial 9 round-a-bouts and then more round-a-bouts further along the trip.

    In Canberra..its a case of... when in doubt, stick in a round-a-bout. Did I mention I hate round-a-bouts.

    ok,.. nuff...now back on topic.... *;D ::)

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Remy, STOP! Youre making me dizzy! Or is that the defib Im drinking?

    On topic - Ill include a couple of valve bags for all contestants when I send out the coffee, all with unique labels. If possible, I suggest you impulse seal the bags prior to returning them to me. ;) If you cant do this Ill seal them once they come back here.

    Ive been thinking about how we can proceed on the day, and thought we might use the more traditional style of cupping (schlurping should be more entertaining for everyone) followed by some milk-based tastings.

    Is that OK?

    For everyone attending, just a heads up that therell be a big collection bucket here on the day - all proceeds to Faircrack, so bring your cheque book with you!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Impulse seal? Is that special coffee roasting terminology,.. or do you mean seal with sudden and immediate force? *:-/ :-? *;D

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Remy link=1208926553/15#17 date=1209007543
    Impulse seal? Is that special coffee roasting terminology,.. or do you mean seal with sudden and immediate force? *:-/ :-? *;D
    The zip seals that coffee bags come with arent really air-tight Remy. An impulse sealer welds the top of the bag and starting at around $150 for a decent one, are a worthwhile investment IMHO.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    104

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/15#16 date=1209006223
    On topic - Ill include a couple of valve bags for all contestants when I send out the coffee, all with unique labels. *If possible, I suggest you impulse seal the bags prior to returning them to me. ;) If you cant do this Ill seal them once they come back here.

    Ive been thinking about how we can proceed on the day, and thought we might use the more traditional style of cupping (schlurping should be more entertaining for everyone) followed by some milk-based tastings.

    Is that OK?

    !
    Dennis that sounds good. Looking forward to learning about cupping and roasting and meeting some of the snobs :)

    Ps, I dont have a impulse sealer. Thanks for the bags, for the "Roast Off".

    Chris

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/15#18 date=1209009431
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy link=1208926553/15#17 date=1209007543
    Impulse seal? Is that special coffee roasting terminology,.. or do you mean seal with sudden and immediate force? *:-/ :-? *;D
    The zip seals that coffee bags come with arent really air-tight Remy. *An impulse sealer welds the top of the bag and starting at around $150 for a decent one, are a worthwhile investment IMHO.
    Oh ok, thanks. Im pretty sure my mother still has a heat sealer thingy I could borrow.

  22. #22
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,876

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/15#18 date=1209009431
    The zip seals that coffee bags come with arent really air-tight Remy. An impulse sealer welds the top of the bag and starting at around $150 for a decent one, are a worthwhile investment IMHO.
    We purchased one from a reputable online seller, a brand new 300mm unit with spares, for $100.00 delivered and its built like the proverbial outhouse. So, if you dont need one with the extra width, the 300mm job has met all our needs up to date. If you had something up to 600mm wide, it is still quite easy to use, just do one half first, turn the bag around and then do the other...... easy as :).

    Cheers,
    Mal.

  23. #23
    Wine_of_the_Bean
    Guest

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Ever try it with an iron? Not as good as an impulse sealer, but still works.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    501

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Another option is a "hair straightener". They have enough heat to do the job and the bonus of a wide contact point with the bag that you are sealing. You do one side of the bag at a time.

  25. #25
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1208926553/15#21 date=1209028561
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/15#18 date=1209009431
    The zip seals that coffee bags come with arent really air-tight Remy. *An impulse sealer welds the top of the bag and starting at around $150 for a decent one, are a worthwhile investment IMHO.
    We purchased one from a reputable online seller, a brand new 300mm unit with spares, for $100.00 delivered and its built like the proverbial outhouse. So, if you dont need one with the extra width, the 300mm job has met all our needs up to date. If you had something up to 600mm wide, it is still quite easy to use, just do one half first, turn the bag around and then do the other...... easy as :).

    Cheers,
    Mal.
    I got one through my sons work (auction house).
    Not as good a deal as you though Mal.
    Well done.
    I didnt get spares.
    Mines 300mm as well but I havent needed anything bigger yet.

  26. #26
    Senior Member tasadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    278

    Re: TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Hey Lizzi. Do you think we should try and get a roaster from the mainland on board? Maybe we might have to do a slightly different theme - just compare roasts between CS members here in Tassie?
    And who do we get to do the cupping / judging? A big get together of CSers with a blind tasting and perhaps the partner of a member can hold the "list" so no-one knows.
    Ill have to have a look through the threads of the other states to see whats going on there.

  27. #27
    Senior Member tasadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    278

    Re: TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    OK It seems there are two active states at this time - NSW and Queensland - mainly due to the fact that they have a local roaster on board. Lucky guys.

    Now it would be time to go through the list of site sponsors looking for something other than "equipment" - see whether there are any roasters that might like to assist our little state with this roast-off.

    Does anyone know where to start?

  28. #28
    Senior Member Lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridport, Tas
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    heya Adam...
    we could ask Andy to help us out with a greens for for a local Tassie home-roast comp...maybe the barista at the Groovy in Penguin is willing to be the professional taster ... he deals with an Italian roasting mob, the name of which escapes me now, but he is pretty passionate about his coffee...

    would you/b4b/?? have a chance this week to drop in and ask? otherwise i will try to after i get back to the Holiday Isle after the 3rd.

    but, ofcourse it would be great if we could get a hook-up with the Vic mob for a professional versus home roast trial,...

    L

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    We have 7 (well, 8 if you count me) participants for the "NSW CoffeeSnobs Roast Off" including some interstate roasters...

    GregJW - NSW
    Michelle - NSW
    Christop - NSW
    Remy - ACT
    Paolo - NSW
    Thundergod - NSW
    Tasadam - TAS

    If Ive left anyone out, please let me know asap, or if youd like to participate, there are still 3 spots available.

    I think this is an exciting opportunity for us to experience the variety of flavours that Kimel has to offer, and of course, learn more about coffee roasting from each other.

    :)

  30. #30
    Senior Member Lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridport, Tas
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    ok, i havent been able to locate a tas roaster, so i suppose well have to admit defeat and see if we can join interstate ...
    ill see if cuppacoffee is willing to accomodate us all.....maybe. hopefully... Dennis?? :-/ :)

    L

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi link=1209050150/0#4 date=1209446856
    ok, i havent been able to locate a tas roaster, so i suppose well have to admit defeat and see if we can join interstate ...
    ill see if cuppacoffee is willing to accomodate us all.....maybe. hopefully... Dennis?? :-/ :)

    L
    Yeah, yeah, OK! ;D

    Will post up the names in the NSW thread

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/15#25 date=1209433185
    We have 7 (well, 8 if you count me) participants for the "NSW CoffeeSnobs Roast Off" including some interstate roasters...

    GregJW - NSW
    Michelle - NSW
    Christop - NSW
    Remy - ACT
    Paolo - NSW
    Thundergod - NSW
    Tasadam - TAS

    If Ive left anyone out, please let me know asap, or if youd like to participate, there are still 3 spots available.

    I think this is an exciting opportunity for us to experience the variety of flavours that Kimel has to offer, and of course, learn more about coffee roasting from each other.

    :)
    In addition to the above, Im very happy to welcome the following CSers to the roast off:
    beans4brains - TAS
    Rayzurhead - TAS
    Lizzi - AU Nomad

    So entries have now closed, and Den is 30kg of Kimel lighter! :o

    If you havent already done so, would you all please pm or email me with your name and address details (no PO Boxes please as the beans will go by courier) and Ill let you know how you can make payment. ;)

  33. #33
    Senior Member Lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridport, Tas
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    fantastic!! thanks Dennis, not in the least for my new "title" : AU Nomad! Love it ;D

    PM in regards shiping/payment sent.

    L

  34. #34
    Senior Member tasadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    278

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi link=1208926553/15#27 date=1209453053
    fantastic!! thanks Dennis, not in the least for my new "title" : AU Nomad! Love it ;D

    PM in regards shiping/payment sent.

    L
    Agreed, many thanks! Glad to be on board.
    And looking forward to it!

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Yep ditto... thanks for picking up us strays :D. Do you have any stray cats at all Den? ;)

  36. #36
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    He has a bunny.
    Close enough?

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1208926553/30#30 date=1209476268
    He has a bunny.
    Close enough?
    Yeah,...I guess that will do. :D

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    All the satchels have left the building and are being picked up by courier this afternoon.

    All Tassie entries are being sent to Lizzie for distribution (thanks Lizzie) and are individually marked.

    Let the Roast Off begin! :)


    Perhaps a Mod might be kind enough to alter the title of this thread to read:

    NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/30#32 date=1209620271
    All the satchels have left the building and are being picked up by courier this afternoon. *

    All Tassie entries are being sent to Lizzie for distribution (thanks Lizzie) and are individually marked.

    Let the Roast Off begin! :)


    Perhaps a Mod might be kind enough to alter the title of this thread to read:

    NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...
    Whooohoo ..Kimel mmmmm. Thanks heaps Dennis!!

    Ok..have I missed dates for when we need to roast and send back by? And date for meetup?

    Also Den,. Ive been paying bills online all day long and was in the administration/paying bills/clearing overdue bill worry from my brain mood so have sent payment now,.. otherwise Im likely to let it mount up as I do *sigh*....with a tonne of the next lot of bills and be threatened to have my CS membership cancelled or something, along with the next notice of disconnect electricty (naughty moi),.. cant let that happen,...need electricty to roast beans :D.


  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    As long as you can get the beans back before or on the event day (24th May) that will be fine. *So, youll need to work back from the 24th for an optimum roast date depending on your personal preferences as to when the kimel is at its best...I have mine marked on a calendar. ;)

    Anyone who doesnt return 500gm by the day might be subject to a "late scratching fee" ;D

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/30#39 date=1209630255
    As long as you can get the beans back before or on the event day (24th May) that will be fine. *So, youll need to work back from the 24th for an optimum roast date depending on your personal preferences as to when the kimel is at its best...I have mine marked on a calendar. ;)
    Anyone who doesnt return 500gm by the day might be subject to a "late scratching fee" *;D
    &gt;:( *shuts eyes tight,..fingers on temples and tries to imagine what date Den has marked on his calendar* ooooow darn!! I cant do it &gt;:( &gt;:( ;)

  42. #42
    mwatt
    Guest

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quick question: Are there any rules about what we can do?

    For example, is a SO blend acceptable?


  43. #43
    Wine_of_the_Bean
    Guest

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle link=1208926553/30#41 date=1209684552
    Quick question: Are there any rules about what we can do?

    For example, is a SO blend acceptable?
    Very cheeky. Guess no one thought of that.

    Would be vry interesting to see the results if it is allowed.

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,339

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1208926553/30#42 date=1209685934
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle link=1208926553/30#41 date=1209684552
    Quick question: Are there any rules about what we can do?

    For example, is a SO blend acceptable?
    Very cheeky. *Guess no one thought of that.

    Would be vry interesting to see the results if it is allowed.
    I did...;)

    And since there arent really any rules re roasting, (except dont start a fire or annoy your neighbours) I dont see why not. It is, after all, about getting the best out of the bean. Having 3kg to play with should allow people to experiment.

  45. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle link=1208926553/30#41 date=1209684552
    Quick question: Are there any rules about what we can do?

    For example, is a SO blend acceptable?
    Well I sure hope so.... with my fine roasting skills..NOT,..I dont think Ill be able to avoid it ;)

  46. #46
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    I think an SO blend is fair.
    I contemplated it as the only "rule" I saw was all using the same bean (Kimel).

    Depending on roasting equipment it may be unavoidable.
    I can roast 500g at a time in my corretto but others may not be able to roast 500g in one batch.

  47. #47
    Senior Member Lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridport, Tas
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/30#32 date=1209620271
    All the satchels have left the building and are being picked up by courier this afternoon. *

    All Tassie entries are being sent to Lizzie for distribution (thanks Lizzie) and are individually marked.

    Let the Roast Off begin! :)


    Perhaps a Mod might be kind enough to alter the title of this thread to read:

    NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    for some reason this post from Dennis has appeared in the middle of the posts made on the 29th, even though it was made on the 1st of May of April..... :o :o

    bumped FYI ;)

    L


  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    838

    Re: NSW CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi link=1208926553/45#46 date=1209808704
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppacoffee link=1208926553/30#32 date=1209620271
    All the satchels have left the building and are being picked up by courier this afternoon. *

    All Tassie entries are being sent to Lizzie for distribution (thanks Lizzie) and are individually marked.

    Let the Roast Off begin! :)


    Perhaps a Mod might be kind enough to alter the title of this thread to read:

    NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    for some reason this post from Dennis has appeared in the middle of the posts made on the 29th, even though it was made on the 1st of May of April..... :o :o

    bumped FYI *;)

    L
    Lizzi, it happened because the mods joined the TAS Roast-off thread to this one. Have a look back there after Dens post,.. next one was TasAdams post.... thats where the join was made and you can see the conversation looks rather disjointed,..and if you didnt know this..TasAdams post following Dens comes across as a little ungrateful of being accepted into Dens Roast-Off,.. only reason I picked it up is because I knew TasAdam had asked that question days before Den took all us strays in. See the titles of each post.

  49. #49
    Senior Member Lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridport, Tas
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    thanks remy :)
    makes more sense now...

    L

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW Tasmania
    Posts
    148

    Re: NSW/ACT/TAS CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1208926553/45#45 date=1209796639
    I think an SO blend is fair.
    I contemplated it as the only "rule" I saw was all using the same bean (Kimel).

    Depending on roasting equipment it may be unavoidable.
    I can roast 500g at a time in my corretto but others may not be able to roast 500g in one batch.

    What a great excuse to build a corretto!!! ;) ;D ;D


    b4b.





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Great CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off".....
    By Wine_of_the_Bean in forum Roasters
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 6th May 2008, 04:44 PM
  2. VIC CoffeeSnobs "Roast-Off"...
    By Dimal in forum General News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th May 2008, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •