Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Grounds left in grinder

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    31

    Grounds left in grinder

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    When cleaning it, I*have noticed that there are lots of grounds inside my Cunill Tranquilo grinder. *This time I decided to measure how much: 9.2 grams! not counting what is normally shaken or scratched out after grinding is done.
    Perhaps most of it gets stuck directly after cleaning, and is never put out. Still, 9.2g..
    Is this normal for all grinders?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    921

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    All grinders hold some grinds some more some less so I would just say it is a function of that grinder would love to hear what weight others find left.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    9.2 Grams!, wow!, my BEST left about 2gms max!

  4. #4
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,978

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 7074524B4B4E514649270 link=1260780014/2#2 date=1260849822
    9.2 Grams!, wow!, my BEST left about 2gms max!
    Id have to say, that post clean-up after an espresso session, the M4 would retain less than a gram and most likely less than 0.5 gram.

    9 odd grams seems like a lot. Even the full-on commercial LSM SM-90A I used to have, would only have retained 2-3 grams at most. Dont think Ive ever read of other Cunill Tranquilo owners mentioning this level of retention before.... :-?

    Mal.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Ive got a Tranquilo.

    I havent measured exactly, but Id guess with no special measures Id have at least 5 gm (based on how much ejects out into the basket to start with). Theres a fairly long horizontal chute before grinds are ejected into the plastic funnel out the front, and you can get a fairly big build-up there.

    To counter this, I do a few things:

    - Ive bypassed the timer switch, so Ive just got the on/off switch. This doesnt really matter, but helps for the last step. (NB - only attempt this if youve got a decent working knowledge of 240V wiring & appropriate qualifications!!!)
    - Ive worked out if I close the gate at the bottom of the bean hopper after a certain number of seconds (about 5-6 works for me) I get the perfect volume of grinds. Youll be able to work out what works for you.
    (NB - this is functionally equivalent to measuring out the beans beforehand and chucking them in the hopper, but is a little quicker and easier).
    - Ive got a small narrow edging brush I picked up for a couple of bucks at the hardware store. This means I can brush out the throat of the grinder (where it all builds up), plus the plastic barrel. This gets most of the grinds which would otherwise sit and go stale for next time.
    - Finally, I pulse the grinder for a second, which ejects the grounds I couldnt get to with the brush. Remember no more beans are arriving at the burrs, so this is just a cleaning step, albeit with fresh grounds.

    This rigmarole takes an extra 15 seconds or so, and ensures that the next time I grind I have next to no stale grounds in the grinder. I would certainly recommend the brush-out-of-the-throat trick. This would mean that flushing the grinder would only be a gram or so.

    Wow. Long and rambly. Hope that helps.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    264

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    I believe Occam is making the point if you take the grinder apart and seperate the grinding wheels and inspect inside the grind chamber this is where the 9.2g is collecting.

    As a rule the Cunill T will have about 2g in the shute and bit clinging to the dose chamber wall ..... That is quickly dealt with using a narrow brush, much like any grinder.

    Monthly, or weekly removal of build up is a good idea.

    Greg

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    264

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Hi Occam ,

    You inspired me to do a full clean of my #1 CT .....

    Youll be intersted to know ... 9 grams, caked on .... oddly enough after the clean , it made no difference to the ground delivery volume.

    Cheers
    Greg

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    31

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Just to check, I cleaned the grinder thoroughly again after four days: *just a couple of grams left inside the grinder.
    Obviously, the grinder catches just a little grinds every time, which means that there is no noticeable difference in output volume before and after major cleaning. HOPEFULLY it also means that the 9 grams of old stuff just sits there and never exits normally, leaving the coffee coming out nice and untainted.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    264

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A56565458350 link=1260780014/7#7 date=1261905212
    HOPEFULLY it also means that the 9 grams of old stuff just sits there and never exits normally, leaving the coffee coming out nice and untainted.
    I am of that opinion also ....!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    54

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 494E5552494E45210 link=1260780014/8#8 date=1261955533
    Quote Originally Posted by 7A56565458350 link=1260780014/7#7 date=1261905212
    HOPEFULLY it also means that the 9 grams of old stuff just sits there and never exits normally, leaving the coffee coming out nice and untainted. *
    I am of that opinion also ....!
    Thats my experience. You can test easily with beans of a different roast level (therefore different colour).

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    24

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Would it be best to discard the first part of the new grind on the next session especially if it hasnt been used for a couple or few days? Or is this just a waste of coffee and me being too pedantic!

  12. #12
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,126

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 4B4E534548210 link=1260780014/10#10 date=1262824905
    Would it be best to discard the first part of the new grind on the next session especially if it hasnt been used for a couple or few days? Or is this just a waste of coffee and me being too pedantic!
    That is what I personally do. Ususally just after 1 second or so, I flick the coffee out through the doser.
    My macap retains a little in the chute.
    I personally use a brush to sweep out the chute when I am done grinding, but there will always be a small amount around. And if someone else has been making coffee on the machine, there is usually a fair bit more in the chute.
    Are we being too pedantic? Hmmm.. possibly, but its just part of my routine now and I like the results in the cup.

    Its the taste that counts.

    Brett.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,948

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    I find dark roast/oily beans certainly accumulate in and around the workins at a much faster rate than lighter roasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4144594F422B0 link=1260780014/10#10 date=1262824905
    Would it be best to discard the first part of the new grind on the next session especially if it hasnt been used for a couple or few days? Or is this just a waste of coffee and me being too pedantic! *
    Depends on how compulsive you are about the process, I use my Rocky 3 times a day, to my palate the small residue has little affect on quality, Im sure others would disagree.
    I remove the hopper and burrs and give the grinder a thorough clean up and blow out with compressed air about once a month, its surprising how much debris accumulates in the chamber around the burrs, never weighed it but doubt it would be more than a couple of grams :)

  14. #14
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 0F333A2237560 link=1260780014/12#12 date=1262825816
    I find dark roast/oily beans certainly accumulate in and around the workins at a much faster rate than lighter roasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4144594F422B0 link=1260780014/10#10 date=1262824905
    Would it be best to discard the first part of the new grind on the next session especially if it hasnt been used for a couple or few days? Or is this just a waste of coffee and me being too pedantic! *
    Depends on how compulsive you are about the process, I use my Rocky 3 times a day, to my palate the small residue has little affect on quality, Im sure others would disagree.
    I remove the hopper and burrs and give the grinder a thorough clean up and blow out with compressed air about once a month, its surprising how much debris accumulates in the chamber around the burrs, never weighed it but doubt it would be more than a couple of grams :)
    I tend to agree with Jon W...

    But have found that some grinders are worse than others and sometimes the beans...

    If ya have a rocky.. The a Click Clack Lid is the ideal way to go... A better seal, should you leave a few beans in and if you pump the lid; then it flushes all the grinds out 8-)

  15. #15
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,948

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 507F7674635C707F7076747C747F65110 link=1260780014/13#13 date=1262826722
    The a Click Clack Lid
    Where do you find one the right size AM? :)

  16. #16
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,288

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Hi Jon,

    The click-clack containers are available widely at supermarket/department stores. I dont remember the container size for the correct lid but a quick Google should give you that (I suspect a search here will give you the answer as well--they were quite the discovery a while ago).

    Greg

  17. #17
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 54617674447C617E727F77130 link=1260780014/15#15 date=1262829049
    Hi Jon,

    The click-clack containers are available widely at supermarket/department stores. I dont remember the container size for the correct lid but a quick Google should give you that (I suspect a search here will give you the answer as well--they were quite the discovery a while ago).

    Greg
    I posted some time ago in the grinders section.. Rocky mods... 0.6L if my memory serves me correctly (Target and a few other stores...). Other brand has been spotted with the same lid (deep sides and Si seals... Thats why it can serve as a plunger... In addition, teh Rocky lid then fits the container... Not air tight, but good enough to be useful for something else... Spare grinder parts ;)

  18. #18
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 08343D2530510 link=1260780014/14#14 date=1262828151
    Quote Originally Posted by 507F7674635C707F7076747C747F65110 link=1260780014/13#13 date=1262826722
    The a Click Clack Lid
    Where do you find one the right size AM? :)
    In NSW Ive seen them in Big W stores.
    I found the easiest way to check the size was to take my hopper with me (mine is between sizes but I have another trick up my sleeve which works almost as well).

  19. #19
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,948

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Thanks for the tips people, another quest. ;D

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    64

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Hi, looking to clear the chute on my K3T, does anyone know (AM perhaps?) if Click Clack lids fit the standard hopper. Looks close but if I dont have to take hopper into Big W all the better. Even got one in silver that looks close to my K3Ts finish. 8-)

    Thanks

  21. #21
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 534A4D4B4C410E00380 link=1260780014/19#19 date=1263364277
    Hi, looking to clear the chute on my K3T, does anyone know (AM perhaps?) if Click Clack lids fit the standard hopper. *Looks close but if I dont have to take hopper into Big W all the better. *Even got one in silver that looks close to my K3Ts finish. 8-)

    Thanks
    No idea as to volume or impact... You would need to strip and measure how much is left..

    I tend to give it a flick and dump the first few g in the morning...

    As to a click clack lid... That method will only work on a hopper with STRAIGHT sides.



  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    64

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 715E5755427D515E5157555D555E44300 link=1260780014/20#20 date=1263367099
    As to a click clack lid... That method will only work on a hopper with STRAIGHT sides.
    Oops, didnt really think of that! *Thanks AM, saved me some mucking around.



  23. #23
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 342D2A2C2B2669675F0 link=1260780014/21#21 date=1263369833
    Oops, didnt really think of that!Thanks AM, saved me some mucking around.
    I have a method that works similar to the click clack for those that6 cant fit one.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    264

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    THIS THREAD HAS BEAN HIJACKED

    Something about grounds left in Cunill Tranquillo....

    and Click-clacks would never work with a CT hopper.

    hmmmmm

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    73

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    This thread inspired me to see how much grinds where held in the chamber below the Robur E burrs and in the chute.
    Well an interesting and disturbing finding...48g!!!!!!
    This is the amount held between shots/dose. In other words i took the hopper off, scooped out the beans which were resting on top of the burrs then disassembled and scraped every last bit of coffee into a container. THere was no pulsing to get rid of as many grinds as i could. Reason being i wanted to know how much i needed to flush if the grinder was left sitting idle for a couple of minutes. So therefore, i need to pulse out probably 40-45g to get fresh coffee into my handle if i have left the grinder idle. Pretty sh!t, for a grinder that everyone covets!?! >:(

  26. #26
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,978

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 725E4D515E4C4C3F0 link=1260780014/24#24 date=1265619344
    So therefore, i need to pulse out probably 40-45g to get fresh coffee into my handle if i have left the grinder idle. Pretty sh!t, for a grinder that everyone covets!?! >:(
    Oh I dunno mate..... ::)

    It all comes down to ones particular criteria of whats important.... Quality in the cup, speed of delivery, coffee wastage, etc etc....

    For what its worth, I just love my Kony and I realise that it does store an amount of coffee within the grind path (not as much as the Robur since it is only 66% the size) but in the end this is irrelevant in the overall scheme of things since I bought the Kony for the quality in the cup and ease of use. Neither the Kony or the Robur are intended for use in a home situation but for a very busy commercial scenario, their performances are worth gold to the proprietors.

    Its just a horses for courses deal once again.... ;)

    Mal.

  27. #27
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 527E6D717E6C6C1F0 link=1260780014/24#24 date=1265619344
    So therefore, i need to pulse out probably 40-45g to get fresh coffee into my handle if i have left the grinder idle. Pretty sh!t, for a grinder that everyone covets!?! >:(
    You are quite correct, thats not good enough. Ill swap you my K3 for it and well both be happy ;)

  28. #28
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 585E4942585F47452C0 link=1260780014/26#26 date=1265622531
    You are quite correct, thats not good enough. Ill swap you my K3 for it and well both be happy Wink
    Now thats a generous offer too good to refuse ;) ;D

  29. #29
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,978

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 6563747F65627A78110 link=1260780014/26#26 date=1265622531
    You are quite correct, thats not good enough. Ill swap you my K3 for it and well both be happy ;)
    ;) ;D ;D

  30. #30
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 163A29353A28285B0 link=1260780014/24#24 date=1265619344
    So therefore, i need to pulse out probably 40-45g to get fresh coffee into my handle if i have left the grinder idle. Pretty sh!t, for a grinder that everyone covets!?! Angry
    &

    Quote Originally Posted by 2F293E352F2830325B0 link=1260780014/26#26 date=1265622531
    You are quite correct, thats not good enough. Ill swap you my K3 for it and well both be happy Wink

    I will go one better and swap you my Mazzer Major + cash incentive ;)
    Only a few grams left in my grinder after grinding

    KK

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    73

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Yeah, fair bump guys ;)
    However, I have dosed 17,351 shots out of the the Robur E and 1 in 10 shots i have to dump because of a 1-4g discrepency. So thats alot of good quality coffee going to waste (not to mention i probably purge the grinder 4 times an hour).
    I suppose i am frustrated that with all the technology we have in the world we cant even come up with a grinder which is accurate, minimises wastage and produces quality espresso.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 466A79656A78780B0 link=1260780014/30#30 date=1265704834
    I suppose i am frustrated that with all the technology we have in the world we cant even come up with a grinder which is accurate, minimises wastage and produces quality espresso.

    They say the Elektra Nino has almost nil waste

    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YzjqtsfSME[/media]

    KK

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    362

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 446069696A6A5044607C62600F0 link=1260780014/31#31 date=1265714665
    They say the Elektra Nino has almost nil waste

    Just buy it pre-ground and you dont have to worry about whats left in the grinder! * :P

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    45

    Re: Grounds left in grinder

    ;D ;D ;D
    great point runfast!



Similar Threads

  1. Jura Ena 5 - grounds stuck in grinder
    By mdubskee in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 28th April 2018, 11:10 AM
  2. ECM Best Grinder - dosing to the left
    By gpieris in forum Grinders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th January 2012, 03:31 PM
  3. Clearing grinder of grounds using existing lid
    By Thundergod in forum Grinders
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th July 2008, 05:41 PM
  4. Grinder grounds drawer?
    By black_dog in forum Grinders
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th September 2006, 10:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •