Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hand grinder for espresso?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    70

    Hand grinder for espresso?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So both Tobys Estate and Campos told me you cant use a hand grinder to get a grind fine enough for espresso. I was about to buy the cheaper of the two Harios.

    Im not looking for a perfect coffee, just fresh ground beans for a stove top moka pot or maybe one of those mypressi twist things. Would the Hario grinder do okay for those machines?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E49485E454F441E1C1C1C2C0 link=1282887412/0#0 date=1282887412
    So both Tobys Estate and Campos told me you cant use a hand grinder to get a grind fine enough for espresso. I was about to buy the cheaper of the two Harios.

    Im not looking for a perfect coffee, just fresh ground beans for a stove top moka pot or maybe one of those mypressi twist things. Would the Hario grinder do okay for those machines? *
    If you had the choice Get a ceramic burr Hario

    Or a PE De Dienes or Zassenhaus box grinder

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E49485E454F441E1C1C1C2C0 link=1282887412/0#0 date=1282887412
    Im not looking for a perfect coffee, just fresh ground beans for a stove top moka pot or maybe one of those mypressi twist things. Would the Hario grinder do okay for those machines?
    My feeling is
    Yes in most cases it should be fine

    KK

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    242

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    Its not that you cant (after all, theyve been used an awefully long time for turkish coffee), but it may take an awfully long time.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4E594D4C422A0 link=1282887412/2#2 date=1282889134
    Its not that you cant (after all, theyve been used an awefully long time for turkish coffee), but it may take an awfully long time.
    Not all hand grinders are suitable for Turkish
    However it will take approx 80 turns of the handle for a double shot

    Now you can cancel that gym membership ;D

    KK

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    Im after a cheapish hand-grinder too. Mind sharing where abouts you are buying one from?

    I had a look at Amazon but a lot of them wont ship to Aus?

    Cheers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3225243229232872707070400 link=1282887412/0#0 date=1282887412
    both Tobys Estate and Campos told me you cant use a hand grinder to get a grind fine enough for espresso
    And the staff you talked to are wrong!

    Consistancy of grind is the key not the ability to produce dust and rocks at the same time. My Zassenhaus is not as good as the Kyocera (similar to the Hario) I own for Espresso but it does a better job on Courser grind settings than the Kyocera.

    Hario is available from Pullman and the Kyocera is available from Supreme Roasters I think to start with but check out the sponsors list on the left :) Just checked Di Bartoli have both.

    Welcome too *:)

  7. #7
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6265616E666C79696E67000 link=1282887412/5#5 date=1282901543
    Quote Originally Posted by 3225243229232872707070400 link=1282887412/0#0 date=1282887412
    both Tobys Estate and Campos told me you cant use a hand grinder to get a grind fine enough for espresso
    And the staff you talked to are wrong!

    Consistancy of grind is the key not the ability to produce dust and rocks at the same time. My Zassenhaus is not as good as the Kyocera (similar to the Hario) I own for Espresso. Hario is available from Pullman and the Kyocera is available from Supreme Roasters I think to start with but check out the sponsors list on the left :)

    Welcome too *:)
    I heard it from a Coffee Gruru *;)

    Tell all of us here and include A2_U2 or is it AU_D2 *;) *that a hand grinder can not do espresso *::) ::) ::) Supreme Roasters

    I even use a cheep wooden one set to fine and it does espresso when camping.. *Hard work but not imposable..

    Now a good Turkish grind is another matter and Hand or Machine... They have to be bloody good to give a good Turkish grind on demand and all the time..

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    70

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D2B693B3B590 link=1282887412/4#4 date=1282897378
    Im after a cheapish hand-grinder too. Mind sharing where abouts you are buying one from?

    I had a look at Amazon but a lot of them wont ship to Aus?

    Cheers.
    Im not sure what the policy on posting retailers is here. But if you look back to my original post you should be able to work out where I was looking at the grinder ;)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    122

    Re: Hand grinder for espresso?

    I had nothing but a Kyocera hand grinder for the first 6 months of having my espresso machine and it did a great job, and for a few reasons.

    Firstly, it can grind finely enough, no doubt, the Kyocera grinds to powder if you tighten it enough. The downside to this is you dull the burrs quite quickly if you get into Turkish coffee with it, which then gives you lots of fines in courser grinds when you dont want them.
    Secondly, having the hand grinder only and having a few different beans going through the grinder at anytime meant I had to learn the ins and outs of grinding pretty quickly. Youll quickly get to know your grinding, not buy numbers on a collar but with your fingers.
    Theyre the upsides, but the downside of time involved is quite a major issues. You grind, pull a shot, need to make an adjustment then three mins later youre ready for another shot. That might not sound to bad, and its not life or death, but it is frustrating. If youre like me and have a La Pav, needing to regrind means youve lost your window for that hour due to the bloody thing overheating. Just before I bit the bullet and got a Mazzer I kept a drill in the kitchen, on a slow speed its a rough n ready arm reliever!

    To answer your question, I guess in a long winded way I just said yes.

    :)



Similar Threads

  1. portaspresso - Rossa Hand Espresso
    By Andy in forum Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 26th June 2012, 01:41 PM
  2. DIY Hand-held-Espresso-maker
    By lindsayra in forum Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th February 2012, 02:08 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th November 2009, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •