Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Grinder for Giotto

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8

    Grinder for Giotto

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

    New to the forum, but the advice on here looks great!

    Last night I brought home my brand new Giotto Rocket. Looks awesome! I carefully followed all the instructions for setting it up, pulled my first shot and got a thin watery crema, tried again, same result :(

    This morning Ive played with the grind on my my grinder and still have the same result. Ive tamped the coffee in really hard, firmly, not so firmly and with the 10 shots Ive attempted this morning Ive still got a thin watery crema.

    My Grinder is a Delonghi KG100. Seemed to work well with my previous machine (Saeco Via Vienza... but then you could almost use dirt in one of those machines and still get a crema! :) ) So I "assumed" it would be ok for the Giotto...

    Ive used up the best part of my budget for this machine, not sure if I can afford another $500+ on a grinder!

    Any suggestions welcome!

    Thanks Guys.

    Carly

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Hi Carly and welcome to CS,

    Sorry to bring bad tidings, but your grinder is not really adequate for the job. I would have thought the people you purchased from would have asked what you had and then advised you appropriately?

    At the very least, set your sights on a Breville Smart grinder. More appropriate would be something from a manufacturer like Mazzer or Compak.

    Make sure your beans are also freshly roasted (within the last few weeks). In general, stay away from supermarkets and outlets which cant tell you when your beans were roasted.

    You have an excellent machine which when matched with a good grinder will deliver terrific coffee.

    Good luck ;)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Thanks 2mcm, will check it out.

  4. #4
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Spot on advice given by 2mcm, your current grinder just isnt up to it.

    Im also surprised and disappointed if you werent advised about grinders by your vendor when purchasing your Giotto, I can only assume it was not one of our many fine sponsors.* It is generally accepted that the grinder is just as important, if not moreso, than the machine. You could have bought a less expensive machine and used the left over to buy a decent grinder. This would give you much better results than your current set up.

    The Breville Smart grinder will probably be your best option for around $250 (try buying from one of the sponsors listed on the left hand side of the page). Off the top of my head Talk Coffee, Cuppacoffee and E61 sell this model (apologies to other sponsors who also sell it).

    To get something better you will have to spend $600+ e.g. Compak K3, Mazzer Mini, Macap M4.

    There are some cheaper options like the Rancilio Rocky but from the reports I read, the Breville Smart Grinder is as good or better and $200+ cheaper.


  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Hi Caffeine Junky,

    Thanks for your advice. Ill take a look for the Breville I think.

    Its really not the retailers fault, my purchase was on the back of a purchase my boss made for the office, I was able to get a Giotto at a very good price, and seized the moment, so its more my fault for not researching properly.

    Lesson learnt, but I must say that even without crema Im impressed at the machine! Now Ive just got to get the grind right and well be in business!

    :)

  6. #6
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Fair enough Geogie. The Giottos are absolutely beautiful machines. I used to own an ECM version and from all reports the Rockets are considerably better.

    Another important question is what water source are you using (tap, bore, rain), is it filtered and what sort of filtration?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    It is an amazing Machine. Im stopping off on the way home tonight to buy a new Breville Smart Grinder...! Little point having a great machine and getting average coffee from it. ::) Ive also got some fresh beans, roasted today to work with now which is good too.

    Water source is Tap Water, then run through a Sunbeam Water Filter/Chiller (using the room temp setting for the water that goes in the machine).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Quote Originally Posted by 082A203D28262A2D20364F0 link=1302124326/6#6 date=1302153912
    Ive also got some fresh beans, roasted today to work with now which is good too.
    Hmm. And the person that sold you these beans that were roasted today thought this was good too?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    759

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Quote Originally Posted by 6F4E454542582B0 link=1302124326/7#7 date=1302156157
    Hmm. And the person that sold you these beans that were roasted today thought this was good too?

    They cant win! Too old, too fresh....

    Enjoy the beans Georgieboy. Hopefully the grinder and fresh beans should make some knockout drinks.

    Ideally the beans will probably be at their best drinking age abou 5-9 days in then decline in quality after about 3 weeks.

  10. #10
    Caffeine Junky
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Quote Originally Posted by 5B79736E7B75797E73651C0 link=1302124326/6#6 date=1302153912
    Water source is Tap Water, then run through a Sunbeam Water Filter/Chiller (using the room temp setting for the water that goes in the machine).
    You may want to buy yourself some water hardness test strips to test how hard your water is (i.e. calcium, magnesium and other ions). I am not familiar with your filter device but assume it is designed for drinking water. Filtration for coffee machines requires softening to remove these solutes or you could find yourself with a lot of scale clogging up your machine.

    I appreciate youve already spent a lot of money on the machine and now grinder so probably arent eager to spend more but in the long run it could work out cheaper.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Quote Originally Posted by 60626E6666686F72010 link=1302124326/8#8 date=1302156865
    Quote Originally Posted by 6F4E454542582B0 link=1302124326/7#7 date=1302156157
    Hmm. And the person that sold you these beans that were roasted today thought this was good too?

    They cant win! Too old, too fresh....

    Enjoy the beans Georgieboy. Hopefully the grinder and fresh beans should make some knockout drinks.

    Ideally the beans will probably be at their best drinking age abou 5-9 days in then decline in quality after about 3 weeks.

    Seems I have so much to learn!! :)

    The Grinder worked a treat, first pull with the new grinder and ta da! CREMA!! YAY!

    Very happy :D

    Thanks everyone for your advice on this, much appreciated.


    Quote Originally Posted by 6B6A60736D6872010 link=1302124326/9#9 date=1302158685
    Quote Originally Posted by 5B79736E7B75797E73651C0 link=1302124326/6#6 date=1302153912
    Water source is Tap Water, then run through a Sunbeam Water Filter/Chiller (using the room temp setting for the water that goes in the machine).
    You may want to buy yourself some water hardness test strips to test how hard your water is (i.e. calcium, magnesium and other ions). I am not familiar with your filter device but assume it is designed for drinking water.* Filtration for coffee machines requires softening to remove these solutes or you could find yourself with a lot of scale clogging up your machine.

    I appreciate youve already spent a lot of money on the machine and now grinder so probably arent eager to spend more but in the long run it could work out cheaper.

    Will investigate the water hardness thing too... just on that another question arrises, off the grinder topic, I used to run a descale through my old machine on a semi regular basis. Can I run a descale solution through the Giotto?

    :)

  12. #12
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    740

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Quote Originally Posted by 73515B46535D51565B4D340 link=1302124326/10#10 date=1302174662
    Can I run a descale solution through the Giotto?
    Sorry also OT.......but

    Yes, have a look at this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274615034

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Thanks! Might leave that to the experts! ;D

  14. #14
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    740

    Re: Grinder for Giotto

    Only done it once, not that hard but is time consuming.......Only give it "good" water to drink is the key I believe ;)

    Steve.



Similar Threads

  1. Which grinder for a Giotto?
    By iaindb in forum Grinders
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 3rd August 2011, 11:29 AM
  2. Please Help - Grinder Needed for ECM Giotto
    By cinatit48 in forum Grinders
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 6th March 2010, 08:17 PM
  3. New Giotto= new Grinder
    By vrasti in forum Brewing Equipment - Pointy End ($1500-$3000)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th July 2008, 12:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •