Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Static in a EM 0480?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    71

    Static in a EM 0480?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a six month old Sunbeam EM 0480 Grinder paired with a Gaggia Classic.

    I have been ordering my beans from a local roaster, who post them the day they are roasted, and I get them a day later.

    I have been extremely happy with the grinder until the last batch of beans I received, it is a different blend to the one I have usually ordered. *The first few coffees I had were great, but then the grinds started flying around all over the place. *Now the EM 0480 is not the cleanest of grinders anyway, but this went from tolerable to unacceptable. *The espresso was also terrible - weak and under-extracted, turning blond in around 7-10 seconds, and tasting (in a flat white) like warmed-up milk.

    I gave the grinder a good clean, which improved the static slightly, but not enough. *I have now resorted to using the Weiss Distribution Technique, where you use a skewer to stir the grinds in the PF, to get rid of the clumps. *This bought my espresso back to a drinkable level, but still not perfect.

    I have just ordered on-line some more coffee, back to the usual blend I would use, to see if the beans had anything to do with this static-clumping problem, but before they arrive I thought I would post here and get others opinions.

    Could it be the change in weather recently? *It has gotten pretty warm here in the SW of WA over the last week.

    Could there be a fault with the Grinder? *I have been reading other posts, and they are saying they grind at 15, whereas mine sits between 4 and 7, depending on the beans and age.

    Could it be the beans? *Do some beans create more static than others?

    Cheers

    Spelunx :D

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    fear not, its the beans.

    Most people wouldnt experience this because they stick to the same blend all the time.

    but people that have a special interest in coffee like to chop and change, and sometimes they end up with a blend or type of beans thats quite different from the last lot they used..ergo, the "problem" you just experienced...only its not a problem, its the way it is.

    Dont worry about the number settings on the adjuster. I dont ever look at them. Just find the right grind for the coffee in use, and be prepared for a change when you select another type of coffee.

    G.

  3. #3
    Senior Member javabeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    496

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    Yes, be prepared to adjust your grind setting when you change bean varieties. Ive got the same grinder and have recently taken up home roasting. The different beans I roast need a different grind setting. Hell even the same bean variety I roast from one batch to the next needs a grind adjustment because of the differences in the roasting.

    Never mind the grind setting, just make sure you get a good grind and shot out of it. Numbers mean nothing, quality of the shot is what Ive find counts.

    With the static, I dont tend to notice it now as I grind into the tub and then transfer to my portafilter. Works a treat, and a lot less bench clean up is required.

    Enjoy your grinder,

    Javabeen.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    71

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo_150 link=1164281293/0#1 date=1164282971
    fear not, its the beans.

    Most people wouldnt experience this because they stick to the same blend all the time.

    but people that have a special interest in coffee like to chop and change, and sometimes they end up with a blend or type of beans thats quite different from the last lot they used..ergo, the "problem" you just experienced...only its not a problem, its the way it is.

    Dont worry about the *number settings on the adjuster. I dont ever look at them. Just find the right grind for the coffee in use, and be prepared for a change when you select another type of coffee.

    G.
    Are you saying that if I change beans again the static will go away?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    71

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    Quote Originally Posted by javabeen link=1164281293/0#2 date=1164286866
    Yes, be prepared to adjust your grind setting when you change bean varieties. Ive got the same grinder and have recently taken up home roasting. The different beans I roast need a different grind setting. Hell even the same bean variety I roast from one batch to the next needs a grind adjustment because of the differences in the roasting.

    Never mind the grind setting, just make sure you get a good grind and shot out of it. Numbers mean nothing, quality of the shot is what Ive find counts.

    With the static, I dont tend to notice it now as I grind into the tub and then transfer to my portafilter. Works a treat, and a lot less bench clean up is required.

    Enjoy your grinder,

    Javabeen.
    Cheers Javabeen.

    I realise the grinder setting has to change, I find I need to gradually dial it finer as the beans age as well as adjusting between blends.

    However the biggest problem is the clumping and the static, so I might give your solution a try in the morning.



  6. #6
    .
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,312

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    Hello Spelunx,
    re your ".......if I change beans again (will) the static will go away......?"

    If you change back to the blend you were peviously using, the level of static should return to that of before when you were using those beans.

    Basically the gist of the matter is if you think something has gone wrong, the first thing to do is to return to your previous blend, and all should return to "normal". That will show there is nothing wrong, and anyb differences in the behaviour of your system can then be attributed to the diff in the beans.

    We see differences in grinding behaviour all the time and even our large commercial grinders sometimes spit out / cause a lot of coffee dust to stick all around the grinding area.

    The amount of static "dusting" appears to be directly governed by the amount of chaff or skin thats still left on the beans after roasting. Its very light (in weight) and static really carries it around. Often you will find quite an obvious dusting of tan coloured flecks on top of the darker coloured coffee thats just been ground...thats the chaff and its of no consequence.

    So Im agreeing....its most probably all in the beans and going back to your regular blend should confirm ( or not).


    Regardz,
    FC.

  7. #7
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    or...alternately, a rubber strap which drags along the ground behind the grinder like my grandfather had on his old Ford?? ;) ;D

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    Ha! - need that rubber strap to be lined with a conductor of some sort.

    Some good science in this thread. If you want to identify the source of the problem make sure you only change one thing at a time! Certainly dry weather (low humidity) will increase the ability for coffee grinds to hold static charge.

    My experience suggests varying the beans can cause more/less static & hence more clumping.

    Cheers :)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    459

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    My 0480 experience suggests that darker roasts tend to be more static prone.

  10. #10
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1164281293/0#6 date=1164315661
    or...alternately, a rubber strap which drags along the ground behind the grinder like my grandfather had on his old Ford?? *;) ;D
    Or strapped to your ankle.
    That way you can discharge any static on all the equipment you touch.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    71

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Ghost link=1164281293/0#7 date=1164317060
    Ha! - need that rubber strap to be lined with a conductor of some sort.

    Some good science in this thread. If you want to identify the source of the problem make sure you only change one thing at a time! Certainly dry weather (low humidity) will increase the ability for coffee grinds to hold static charge.

    My experience suggests varying the beans can cause more/less static & hence more clumping.

    Cheers :)

    Great! *I give you guys science, and you give me a rubber strap in return! *:D :D

    I have ordered the coffee, should arrive on Monday, depending on when they roast.

    Matt:
    It may well have been a darker roast, the tasting notes describe a feisty roast with beans from Papua New Guinea, Costa Rica, Colombia and Indian Tiger Mountain. *It certainly is stronger than the usual blend I get, not that it necessarily equates to a darker roast, but it maydo.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    so, this is the youghurt cup (actually a rice pudding from iku foods cup) with the bottom cut out, to use with my em0480. i used to use a frozen youghurt cup, but it was much flimsier, and i went through about 3 in 6 weeks.... so this one has lasted about 4 months as its very sturdy...

    its great to use.... means that i dont waste anything.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    another view


  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    and in action.....sorry about the focus, the camera didnt deal with the grinding coffee well.....


  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    178

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?

    i use an old paper t/a coffee cup. works the same i think. so far so good. definitely less messy...

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    71

    Re: Static in a EM 0480?


    Well, the new coffee arrived today and I couldnt resist, normally I would wait two days before ripping the top off the packet, but on this occasion the frustration levels were just too high.

    And yes, as predicted it appears that the beans were the cause of the problem, because it is no longer happening now that I am back to my original blend.

    The taste still isnt 100%, because the coffee came out looking like brown champagne, but that will settle down in the next day or two.

    Thanks for all the help and advice.




Similar Threads

  1. static pre-infusion
    By damian1 in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 9th January 2009, 04:04 PM
  2. Static on Deli Grinder
    By mcknightp in forum Grinders
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th December 2008, 12:07 AM
  3. EM480 static and channeling
    By acoggins in forum Grinders
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 28th November 2008, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •