Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: what grinder should i get?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26

    what grinder should i get?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi guys,

    ive got around $200-$250 to spend on a grinder and know next to nothing about all the different brands etc. would it be wiser to purchase...

    1) brand new sunbeam EM0480 or
    2) a nicer second-hand grinder?

    and if no. 2, what kinds of grinders would i be looking at around that ballpark (thats in decent nick of course) :)

    thanks!

    p.s. *perhaps it would it be better to invest in a better coffee machine?? i have a sunbeam EM5400.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    47

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    I would guess that a decent grinder can make more difference than a coffee machine in that price range. *It could still hinge on the machine however if it has very little ability to deliver a good shot.

    There have been reports of the sunbeam grinders not grinding fine enough even with some modification so I would suggest that getting a second hand Rancilio Rocky would be the way to go. *That way, when you get the chance to get a nicer machine, the Rocky will allow you to make some good espresso :)

    You might be able to pick one up for about $250-350 depending on the person selling it.


  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    i saw in the hardware sale a nemox dell opera machine / grinder and i did a quick google to see how the thing rated. apparently theyre very good! too bad i was too slow :(

    i wonder how the nemox dell opera would compare to a sunbeam EM5400 + rancilio rocky combo (assuming i get a rocky)?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    47

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    I would imagine someone else might be able to comment on how that would go, certainly wouldnt be too bad. *I used to have a Sunbeam EM4800C without a grinder as well, it wouldnt have been too bad with a grinder but it was fairly annoying (mainly the milk steamer and spouts on the portafilter) compared to my EM6910.

    I would suggest that if you are comfortable with the machines capabilities after doing a bit of looking around at various reviews and trying them out if possible, then theres no need to feel like you should get anything better - especially if you can get something your comfortable with at a really good price. *I suggested the Rocky because its common, reasonably priced as far as grinders go, works well and last a long time if looked after :)

    If would have already had one if I could have found one locally - but after a fair bit of searching I decided to save up and get something more long-term for both volume and quality.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    439

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 636661677366090 link=1273394136/2#2 date=1273399811
    i wonder how the nemox dell opera would compare to a sunbeam EM5400 + rancilio rocky combo (assuming i get a rocky)?
    The nemox dell opera would kill the Sunbeam + Rocky if if was temp surfed properly. For walkup shots, the Sunbeam would probably make a more consistently good shot.

    The grinder in the Nemox is basically a Lux with a screw adjuster instead of stepped adjustment. Its loud but has excellent grind quality - easily comparable to a Rocky. The combined machine option does mean that you have to buy a new grinder as well as a machine if upgraditis strikes.

  6. #6
    Senior Member trentski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Altona, Melbourne
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Theres a second hand grinder for sale in the hardware section at the moment, it would be a better bet than a sunbeam but its big :D

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Well ground fresh beans in unpressurised baskets with a decent tamper is the way to go. So if you dont have the basket and tamper do that first.

    The Sunbeam 450 or 480 is the bottom end of what is adequate for Espresso grinding. From there there is grinders like the Ascaso or Ibiteral ranges at $3-400 which are not much of a step up in grind but they are a good step up in build. Then you are in Rocky country. at $500ish I think. None of these are nessecerily a bad choice but spend as much as you can IMO.

    Your other option is to wait for a second hand one here, grinders from snobs you can be generally happy with as we care for our gear better than average. My first grinder from here was an Ibiteral at $220 I think did me for 6-8 months I think and is now living in Perth with its new snob owner ;)

    The last option is the bay of evil or secondhand commercial kitchen suppliers and look for a suitable grinder. In most cases assuming the motor turns when connected the worst you may be up for is a new set of burrs and maybe a set of bearings. Caveat Emptor certainly applies but I got a couple of ex commercials for $250-300 each and they came with a spare set of burrs as well, apart from a full strip and clean and changing bearings they are working a treat. When new these were $1.5k grinders.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2C262629262022470 link=1273394136/4#4 date=1273453343
    The nemox dell opera would kill the Sunbeam + Rocky if if was temp surfed properly. For walkup shots, the Sunbeam would probably make a more consistently good shot.

    The grinder in the Nemox is basically a Lux with a screw adjuster instead of stepped adjustment. Its loud but has excellent grind quality - easily comparable to a Rocky. The combined machine option does mean that you have to buy a new grinder as well as a machine if upgraditis strikes.
    newbie cs here - what does temp surfed and walkup shots mean? :)

    this nemox sucker is definitely sounding more and more appealing to me. do you guys know of any other alternatives to the nemox in the same $$ ballpark (that have the machine / grinder combined)?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2027232C242E3B2B2C25420 link=1273394136/6#6 date=1273456675
    Well ground fresh beans in unpressurised baskets with a decent tamper is the way to go. So if you dont have the basket and tamper do that first.
    i did a quick google on unpressurised baskets but not too much came up - what are they?

    and does a decent tamper make that much of a difference? i picked up a stainless steel one which i thought was more than adequate - guess not??

    p.s sorry for all the newb questions ::)

  10. #10
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 636661677366090 link=1273394136/8#8 date=1273459243
    Quote Originally Posted by 2027232C242E3B2B2C25420 link=1273394136/6#6 date=1273456675
    Well ground fresh beans in unpressurised baskets with a decent tamper is the way to go. So if you dont have the basket and tamper do that first.
    i did a quick google on unpressurised baskets but not too much came up - what are they?

    and does a decent tamper make that much of a difference? i picked up a stainless steel one which i thought was more than adequate - guess not??

    p.s * sorry for all the newb questions *::)
    http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=unpressurised+baskets

    More info that you can poke a stick at..

    Do an advanced search on CS..

    Also think of single floor Vs double floor baskets.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2421262034214E0 link=1273394136/8#8 date=1273459243
    i picked up a stainless steel one which i thought was more than adequate - guess not??
    That is decent ;) All I meant is if yours came with a tacky bit of undersized plastic then go decent.

    Like AM said on the baskets too. If you look from the top to bottom the floor is a fine perforated finish and you can see light through it. The pressurised ones dont really give a proper espresso shot and typically are designed to run on Stupormarket mid grind stale beans.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    214

    Re: what grinder should i get?


    Hi Johnso,

    I would go with your second option i.e. a nice second hand grinder.

    Just be careful to check the grinder physically (if possible) and ask questions. I bought my grinder second hand which cost about NZ $270 with postage. It has the same specs as a rocky. .i.e 50 mm grinding blades.

    The grind looks pretty consistent as well.

    Good luck with the search. 8-)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    439

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2623242236234C0 link=1273394136/7#7 date=1273458909
    newbie cs here - what does temp surfed and walkup shots mean?
    Temperature surfing is timing the boiler light interval when pulling a shot to ensure that the temperature is at a consistent point (boilers typically have thermostats that allow a 10 deg C temp swing).

    A "walk up shot" is walking up to a machine and grind/dose/tamping, then plugging in the PF and pulling the shot with no regard to the machines temperature state. Most machines will produce a less than perfect shot when doing this.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    ok i think ive made my mind up on the nemox unless someone can suggest an alternative two-in-one solution. reasons being that i am actually short on real-estate and if the quality produced by this machine is on par (and possibly) better than the sunbeam + rocky, combo then it will suit me very well.

    i know it may limit my upgrade options later on - but to be honest i dont think i will upgrade if this thing serves me well.

    thanks for all your input and advice csers!

    now. if anyone has a nemox which they would kindly sell to me for a decent price - feel free to pm me :)

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2025222430254A0 link=1273394136/13#13 date=1273480447
    unless someone can suggest an alternative two-in-one solution
    Nope its the best and the toughest of the 2 in 1s. Cuppacoffee and Talk Coffee did both have them along with several other sponsors I think if you want a real look. The only minor downside over the Sunbeam 6910 based combo is the short delay between milk and doing the next shot.

    Never say never to upgraditis :)

  16. #16
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,954

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Slightly O.T. but.... ::)

    Something else to keep in mind with the Lelit/Nemox range of machines, is that they respond particularly well to a PID Controller upgrade, even more so than the Silvia because of differences in Boiler design. While it wont be able to perform like a HX machine with this mod, it will allow you to undertake so-called walk-up espresso shots, completely eliminating the need for temperature surfing and improving shot-to-shot consistency. As an added bonus, will also improve the Steam performance too.... 8-)

    Mal.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7E53575B563A0 link=1273394136/15#15 date=1273494053
    Slightly O.T. but.... ::)

    Something else to keep in mind with the Lelit/Nemox range of machines, is that they respond particularly well to a PID Controller upgrade, even more so than the Silvia because of differences in Boiler design. While it wont be able to perform like a HX machine with this mod, it will allow you to undertake so-called walk-up espresso shots, completely eliminating the need for temperature surfing and improving shot-to-shot consistency. As an added bonus, will also improve the Steam performance too.... 8-)

    Mal.
    wow i am so just scraping the surface of the wonderful world of espresso! :D

  18. #18
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960

    Re: what grinder should i get?

    My 2 cents worth.

    The Sunbeam was my frist grinder and it did an amazing job for the price. *It has a great reputation.

    If you can stretch, go for a used K3 touch at $350-$450. *Give the Rocky a miss as its not much of a step up from the Sunbeam.

    If you can stretch to a better machine as well Id recommend a used Silvia.

    Good luck :)



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 29th January 2013, 10:46 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 16th November 2012, 11:33 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th May 2011, 06:00 AM
  4. Eureka Mignon Grinder or Brevilles Smart Grinder
    By Golden_Brew in forum Grinders
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 6th May 2011, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •