Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: HELP: Compak K3T dead

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

    Needing your expertise urgently!! My K3 - the grinder - is not rotating when I turn it on..Im assuming its got a bean(s) stuck in between the burrs so you hear the machine try to rotate but nothing happens. At times it moves a few millimeters then stop..

    Ive rotated the settings from fine to course back and forth to try and loosen things up but no use..and used a vacuum to suck out any residual beans, no good either.

    Any help would be good..thanks!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    921

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    If you can rotate the settings then it doesnt sound like a bean (or something else) stopping it.

    It sounds (to my uneducated ears) like there is something more like a bearing or motor issue going on but more investigation is needed.

  3. #3
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 64737272752364160 link=1274694057/0#0 date=1274694057
    Hi All,

    Needing your expertise urgently!! My K3 - the grinder - is not rotating when I turn it on..Im assuming its got a bean(s) stuck in between the burrs so you hear the machine try to rotate but nothing happens. At times it moves a few millimeters then stop..

    Ive rotated the settings from fine to course back and forth to try and loosen things up but no use..and used a vacuum to suck out any residual beans, no good either.

    Any help would be good..thanks!!
    Warrranty ?

    Supplier

    Service person...

    Without seeing and measuring etc... Sounds like teh start cap has failed or the terminal has come loose.

    Do not try to fix ya self..

    Where are you located ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somerset, Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    90

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Good call AM. *I seem to have replaced more than a few starter capacitors in the last little while.

    Get it back to the supplier ASAP.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Thanks guys. I only got it on the weekend from Talk Coffee in Melb.

    Have only used it to try and dial in the settings..when trying to rotate to the fine settings..I can only get as far as 25 (out of 50) so Im assuming its full of beans that hasnt come out of the chute??

    Surely the start cap / terminal can withstand a lil more punishment??

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    389

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 56414040471156240 link=1274694057/4#4 date=1274699914
    Thanks guys. I only got it on the weekend from Talk Coffee in Melb.

    Have only used it to try and dial in the settings..when trying to rotate to the fine settings..I can only get as far as 25 (out of 50) so Im assuming its full of beans that hasnt come out of the chute??

    Surely the start cap / terminal can withstand a lil more punishment??
    I would be contacting Chris ASAP and I am certain you will find him most helpful. He provides good support for what he sells and you dont want to play around and void warranty, not worth the risk.

  7. #7
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 697E7F7F782E691B0 link=1274694057/4#4 date=1274699914
    Thanks guys. I only got it on the weekend from Talk Coffee in Melb.

    Have only used it to try and dial in the settings..when trying to rotate to the fine settings..I can only get as far as 25 (out of 50) so Im assuming its full of beans that hasnt come out of the chute??

    Surely the start cap / terminal can withstand a lil more punishment??
    The cap was a suggestion only... And any electronic part can fail and even on teh first use..

    If new / warranty... Ya should be speaking to teh supplier first; not asking on forums..

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Question to those with a K3T..I read in a manual that you should only adjust grind settings whilst it is grinding / moving. Is this correct??

    Wouldnt this cause a major issue if you were on a really fine setting and adjusted leading to (potentially) the burrs clashing??

    Can someone provide a starting point on the grind settings for 18g of coffee going into a double basket?? Thanks.

  9. #9
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    Quote Originally Posted by 44535252550344360 link=1274694057/7#7 date=1274768041
    Question to those with a K3T..I read in a manual that you should only adjust grind settings whilst it is grinding / moving. Is this correct??

    Wouldnt this cause a major issue if you were on a really fine setting and adjusted leading to (potentially) the burrs clashing??

    Can someone provide a starting point on the grind settings for 18g of coffee going into a double basket?? Thanks.
    If done correctly NO.. That is why its in the manual..

    That is why ya do it that way.. So that the burrs do touch... All be it very softly... That is why they are made in a specific manner as the part that touches does so ever just so before the cutting blades do..

    We are talking the Burr body touching NOT the cutting bits.

    Contact ya supplier...

    As to 18g in a basket - WHY ?

    Dose to the correct level and tamp.. If the shot is good = Great. *If not then adjust what ever ya need...

    Ya can not make coffee by numbers..

    18g in my double and I would not drink it in a fit.. Then for some; ya could never fit 18G in :-?

  10. #10
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: HELP: Compak K3T dead

    I have spoken to redd this morning and suggested that the top burr needs to be completely cleared of grind debris by removing it from the grinder.

    Many new owners have a tendency to underdose and adjust their grinder finer without it running and seize the burrs with turkish grind,

    Normally, going to the coarsest possible grind will clear them, but it seems not in this case.

    New grinders very rarely fail, but new owners sometimes do! Its a common mistake and its happened to me before as well when too aggressively changing grind. Its why the manual says that the grinder needs to be running to change grind- particularly if youre going finer....;)

    Chris



Similar Threads

  1. is my via veneza dead
    By stonemason3 in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th June 2010, 09:06 AM
  2. SOS Dead Alp....
    By TC in forum Roasters
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd November 2005, 02:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •