Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: EM480 Mess Fix

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41

    EM480 Mess Fix

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    My clever husband can 3D print i.e. out of plactic. He has made me a plastic riser that sits inside the basket and stops grinds spraying everywhere. We can produce more at $10 including postage anywhere within Australia.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    609

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Sounds like a great idea! Always love innovation.
    Might be best to post something with some photos in the "Coffee Hardware For Sale" section.
    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    290

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    I just chopped a see through plastic cup in half and wet dry the bottom smooth. Probably 45cents...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Pity I hadnt thought of that one. I fiddled around with cutting a funnel but it ended up too bit and difficult to cut. I guess thats why I need a clever hubby to save me. I think had I not had him your idea is much more sensible. I was only charging $10 to cover cost and postage but I am now recommending in all fairness, the plastic cup.
    Cheers Dawn

  5. #5
    Member aqua3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    85

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Yay! just tried the plastic cup idea, great. Then searched for grind adjustment on EMO480 will adjust my grinder to finer grind so it will probably get messier, so this cup will be very useful. this is what CS is all about making coffee life better. Happy Brewer. :)

  6. #6
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    I hate a messy bench!* So I use the cutout cup, the provided storage container and another tupperware to avoid having to clean the bench* ;D a bit excessive maybe...

    Heres a video I made yesterday to pick up on my inefficiencies in making my morning coffee, but you can see what I do to avoid making a mess with the EM0480. Anyway, I hope to bring my whole process down to 2 minutes next time.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvIiIvTjV0&feature=feedu

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    395

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E4C4254482D0 link=1318046564/5#5 date=1319213251
    I hate a messy bench!* So I use the cutout cup, the provided storage container and another tupperware to avoid having to clean the bench* ;D a bit excessive maybe...

    Heres a video I made yesterday to pick up on my inefficiencies in making my morning coffee, but you can see what I do to avoid making a mess with the EM0480.* Anyway, I hope to bring my whole process down to 2 minutes next time.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcvIiIvTjV0&feature=feedu
    I thought for a second that you had two EM0480s there... My word those Giottos are shiny! ;D

  8. #8
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 193420323D3C3B32142113342130550 link=1318046564/6#6 date=1319237240
    I thought for a second that you had two EM0480s there... My word those Giottos are shiny! Grin
    Hehe, yes its only a reflection in the side of the Giotto.* I dont make enough coffee to justify two grinders...plus I wouldnt have two EM0480 for that matter.* Maybe a nice Mazzer and the 0480 as a back up?* Now you got me thinkin... ::)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    290

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Hey Saoye,

    Watched you clip. Nice pour.

    Try not to hit the porta filter so hardle with the tamp as your maybe causing the puck to fracture. Also it may be better to hit with the plast handle top rather than metal on metal.

  10. #10
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Hi InTheCup, was wondering how long itd take before someone mentioned that. Yeh, I didnt realise how hard I was hitting the portafilter. Its to get the coffee to fall from the perimeter of the basket into the middle so I can temp again. Ive already noted it next time I tap the porta filter.

  11. #11
    Senior Member specialpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    310

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 5B504A514B54565F380 link=1318046564/8#8 date=1319270938
    Try not to hit the porta filter so hardle with the tamp as your maybe causing the puck to fracture.
    I was going to suggest that you shouldnt tap the portafilter at all. It does infact fracture the puck and you can see it each time if you use a naked handle.

    Good video though - I hope you can cut down your coffee making routine.

    Is there any reason why you dont grind straight into the portafilter? I think theres an opportunity to cut down time here.

    I also noticed the cooling flush took quite a while. Whats the story there?

  12. #12
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 757663656F676A7667687275060 link=1318046564/10#10 date=1319317596
    I also noticed the cooling flush took quite a while. Whats the story there?
    Its typical of the Giotto...if you read my other posts I had to tweak the boiler pressure to bring the cooling flush down to where it is now.* I know the tapping is frowned upon but it works for me.* used the rubber part to tap and lighter.

    I dont grind straight into the portafilter as I find it a lot messier to grind straight in (the issue with the EM0480 is it is quite messy...hence the topic)and by letting it grind into the container I dont have to stand and wait.* Just feels easier to me.


  13. #13
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,429

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    What is your purpose re tapping the PF? I used to do it to knock the grinds stuck to the side of the basket above the tamped level back down to retamp. But after I got a fitted pullman tamper and this is no longer an issue as there are now no grinds left up the basket wall after a tamp. I also noticed after I made the PF naked (prior to tamper upgrade) that stopping the tapping reduced the chance of chanelling quite a bit. this was not visible with a normal PF as all the liquid obviously gets mixed up.

    BTW, the giotto is a lovely looking bit of bling!

    Cheers

  14. #14
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 6C7F79606C630D0 link=1318046564/12#12 date=1319332183
    I used to do it to knock the grinds stuck to the side of the basket above the tamped level back down to retamp.* *But after I got a fitted pullman tamper and this is no longer an issue as there are now no grinds left up the basket wall after a tamp

    Exactly right.* I bought the Giotto which came with the ezytamp.* I find a good 1mm on each side compared to my precice tamp for the Lelit.* I dont need to tap for the Lelit.* With the large gap between the tamper and the basket I find that it does not push down the grinds around the side...its a lot messier than the precise tamper. and I hate messy* Im still trying to persuade/convince the tea drinker that I need a specially machined tamper to have a correctly fitted tamper...shes not convinced.* Which means Ill get it next year* ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by 6C7F79606C630D0 link=1318046564/12#12 date=1319332183
    BTW, the giotto is a lovely looking bit of bling!
    Your Faemas pretty darn nice also.* Was going to be my machine before I "stole" the Giotto...
    Anyway, I think were diverging from the topic* ;D

  15. #15
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,429

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    If you can do plastic printing, maybe printing something that will provide side walls (and even a built in PF holder), rear and base that can sit infront of the grinder, essentially encapsulating the exit chute so stray grinds dont go everywhere, and you can easily empty the strays by pulling out the plastic piece.* Like the smart grinder I guess, that works very well at containing stray grinds for a mess free bench.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6E7C7264781D0 link=1318046564/13#13 date=1319341002

    Im still trying to persuade/convince the tea drinker that I need a specially machined tamper to have a correctly fitted tamper...
    I reckon a decent fitted tamper and matching baskets is an "investment", its something you can take with you to use on a different machine, if upgradeitis strikes. (assuming 58mm)* [smiley=cheesy.gif]


    Quote Originally Posted by 6E7C7264781D0 link=1318046564/13#13 date=1319341002
    Your Faemas pretty darn nice also.*
    Wanna swap??* [smiley=grin.gif]

    Cheers

  16. #16
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 6073756C606F010 link=1318046564/14#14 date=1319348660
    Wanna swap??

    Hehe, Im just getting used to the Giotto and besides I think yours is a plumbed in model?

  17. #17
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 6073756C606F010 link=1318046564/14#14 date=1319348660
    If you can do plastic printing, maybe printing something that will provide side walls (and even a built in PF holder), rear and base that can sit infront of the grinder, essentially encapsulating the exit chute so stray grinds dont go everywhere, and you can easily empty the strays by pulling out the plastic piece.

    You know what would work without all this hassle? A cafelat tamper stand. Just put this under the chute, stand the portafilter on the tamp stand with the cup funnel and hey presto! I should check the height measurements first though.

  18. #18
    Senior Member brettreaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    267

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    I made a stand with mesh the grinders sits on : the coffee falls to the bottom: I will post a pic. Works for me

    Quote Originally Posted by 1732243D530 link=1318046564/0#0 date=1318046564
    My clever husband can 3D print i.e. out of plactic. He has made me a plastic riser that sits inside the basket and stops grinds spraying everywhere. We can produce more at $10 including postage anywhere within Australia.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    I cut the bottom off a plastic cup today, and once I trimmed the top it fitted nicely in the little plastic group handle holder. A nice little funnel that holds itself in place, and fits exactly into the filter basket. No mess!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    290

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Hey guys (and girls),

    I think your all over thinking this one. See link.

    Unless you want it o be atheistically pleasing its real simple.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBXpYfZIUdo

  21. #21
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Hi ITC,

    This thread is about the EM0480 specifically being messy.* I still like using the container thats provided, but same solution regarding the plastic cup.*

    I also knock on the rubber base of the EM0480 to dislodge any unground beans and to loosen the grinds still left in the chute.* Crude but it works.

    Heres my latest video with my Pullman tamper.* No more knocking the side of the portafilter for me :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hypVq-KUsUs

  22. #22
    Bean Powered Member jaybee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    262

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Great videos guys. My solution was to get a Mini Mazzer and keep the EM04080 for plunger grind. Where there is plastic, there is static...

    But lets face it, coffee is a messy sport.

  23. #23
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Hi Jaybee,

    Those with the EM0480 is more likely unable to spend the hundreds of dollars for a mini mazzer...yet ;)

    Having said that though, the compactness of the EM0480 is suited for those with lack of bench space.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    290

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Nice pour Saoye,

    I think not tapping the portafilter has improved the shot.

    As for the mini, I know its not a sunbeam! but it worked just as well with my previous Rocky and it helped alot. Lets face it less cleaning means more time to enjoy the results.

    Now its a shot off.

    Time to film an espresso! I had a laugh ;D


  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,376

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 2E3C3224385D0 link=1318046564/20#20 date=1319971336
    Hi ITC,

    This thread is about the EM0480 specifically being messy.* I still like using the container thats provided, but same solution regarding the plastic cup.*

    I also knock on the rubber base of the EM0480 to dislodge any unground beans and to loosen the grinds still left in the chute.* Crude but it works.

    Heres my latest video with my Pullman tamper.* No more knocking the side of the portafilter for me :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hypVq-KUsUs

    Thats a lot like mine, except my "chute" is a little taller.

    Works well (although I think it makes dosing a little more difficult).

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    139

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Heres my simple solution on a 450;
    This is the very top part of a 1.25L soft drink bottle, the threaded end fits very snug into the silicon attachment. I cut the bottle so that it fist nicely into my pf basket, stops any stray or static grinds going anywhere and even the occasional clump rolling off the mole hill!


  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    That is brilliant. Is it firm enough to push on the trigger to grind or do you have to put it onto on rather than auto. I will try it and them get him to practice more on the printer and make one.

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    41

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by 33212F3925400 link=1318046564/5#5 date=1319213251
    I hate a messy bench! So I use the cutout cup, the provided storage container and another tupperware to avoid having to clean the bench a bit excessive maybe...
    Actually with my printed it just goes directly inside the group head pushes on the start trigger and grinds straight in. Take it out and tamp and pour.

  29. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: EM480 Mess Fix

    As we know the EM0480 grinder sprays too many coffee grounds around the place during the grind. My solution was to simply make a round hole in the lid of the plastic bucket for the extension spout (Part Number EM048X).* Check it out in action...
    * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfqMlaTlr-Y

    -Stew



Similar Threads

  1. uncle joe's mess hall
    By timdimdom in forum WA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th April 2016, 08:33 AM
  2. Coffee grind mess
    By Drluke in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15th May 2012, 09:09 PM
  3. Breville Fresca Mess
    By kfilgate in forum Brewing Equipment - Midrange ($500-$1500)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th February 2011, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •