Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    21

    Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    HI all

    Im trying to decide on a grinder to partner with my Bezzera B35 (bought after malicious inteference from certain coffeesnobs here ;) ).

    Now, please dont bamboozle me with 7000 thousand tech details, and an equal amount of options :o. Im a man of little brain, and I have very simple needs for the grinder. Ill be making coffee mainly for myself, with occasional guest catering. a few cups a day usually. I dont need some whizz-bang thing that will crunch through 50kg of beans in 37 seconds and do my washing at the same time.

    Budget around the $500 mark.

    My BZ35 is at my local shop having a service. Im doing my 1st espresso course next Friday at the same shop. Theyve been extremely helpful. And gave me a free espresso :P. I am hoping that theyll be able to do the training on my machine - no-one from their tech side there when I dropped it off yesterday, so I need to speak to them on Tue to see if this is possible.

    When I initially went in to talk to them about the machine and training, they aimed me at the Eureka Mignon, which they stock. $549 - which seems about the right ballpark compared to online prices.

    They also sell the Compak K3, but their price is not so good for these - $679 for the chrome, and dont seem to do the cheaper non-chromed versions (I dont care about the bling!). Online I can get it for under $600.

    The other consideration I suppose would be the Vario, but this is over $600, and according to bellabairstas review (referred to elsewhere on this site), is not as good as the Mignon.

    Im swayed towards the Mignon as I can probably sort out a deal with the shop - spending a fair bit of money with them as it is, and I think we should be able to set everything up during the training so I come away with a setup where the only variable is the nut on the end of the basket handle. Important when youre a P-plater...

    Im not sold on the Mignons styling - it looks like it should have a coal hopper and be run on steam power. But thats minor. Again, Im not overly swayed by form over function.

    Does anyone have experience with any/all of these three? Theres a bit of chatter here about the Mignon, and it all seems positive. K3 seems more popular, but is the difference or popularity enough for me to spend more, or get it somewhere else and go through setting it up myself?

    Or should I be considering anything else in this price range?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Honestly those 3 options seem to be much of a muchness, all of them have their fans and none seem to have any serious issues. As you say there may be an advantage in buying from the people you are already dealing with.

    On CS the K3 gets the most noise, but as its a commercial site and many of the sponsors have had special deals on the K3s that may be a little unrepresentative. (Checking on Home-Barista they do seem to get a good report card.)

    Other options are the small Mazzers and Macaps, although you would probably have to look second hand at that price point.

    If you use the sitesponsors@coffeesnobs.com.au email it will go to all sponsors and you could ask them what deals they have on at the moment - i suspect end of financial year is a good time to be purchasing.

  3. #3
    .
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,312

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    I dont know a thing about the Vario but the Mignon and the K3 are both excellent grinders and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference in the quality of the coffee made with either once they are set up correctly and using the same beans and machine.

    The only real difference is one uses 50 mm plates (Mignon) and the other 58 mm (K3), and as you dont want to know the ins and outs of that i dont need to go there.

    So in the end the difference comes down to 3 things none of which have anything to do with quality(covered in my first sentence above).

    They are:
    a) budget
    b) looks (you and the missus have to live with it long term in HER kitchen)
    c) the total "client experience" (ease of use and whatever...).....which is entirely depended on anyones opinion and which no one can ever really know until after they take the plunge and buy one or other grinder...and then they dont have an example of the other grinder to compare to so what does that all mean unless the reviewer actually has experience of BOTH grinders to be able to compare the client experience of both models.....???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    My own Roastery sells both the Mignon and the 3 Variants of the K3T, and sales of the Mignon far outstrip the others* due to its very compact size for home use.

    wrt the K3T, I dont understand the comment about this being a "commercial site" and as stated, another site apparently gives it a good rap. So apparently both sites agree.......and I would then say that is proof that whatever is meant by saying this is a "commercial site" (presumably that you shouldnt "trust" what is said about the K3T here??????) is obviously bollocks.

    The black K3T is a great value grinder because of the price VS its capability....period. And I dont really understand whats unrepresentative about that just because it is recommended in this site and for that reason.


    Hope that helps.




  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Quote Originally Posted by 241007110A3D210D04040707620 link=1339292524/2#2 date=1339326251
    Is this some kind of "cheap shot"?* Concering what?
    OT

    Not at all, its just pointing out the fact that although this looks like a public forum its actually a commercial site. That is reflected in a few elements such as the banning of links to non-sponsor sites which you would never see on a public forum, also the heavy presence of sponsors posting compared to public forums.

    Its not necessarily a bad thing, just something which new users may not be aware of, on the other hand one of the benefits is obviously that users will get quick and detailed responses from commercial coffee enterprises.

    Given the unusual nature of the site I just make sure I check the information offered with more consumer based sources on the net.

    / OT

  5. #5
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Quote Originally Posted by 55535E475F534B320 link=1339292524/3#3 date=1339327518
    Given the unusual nature of the site I just make sure I check the information offered with more consumer based sources on the net.
    Hello Galumay,

    I think the flip side is that the site is also lucky to have some knowledgable sponsors who have far broader terms of reference that individual opinions on consumer sites.

    To assume that sponsors are here merely to extract maximum margin on gear is may well be interpreted as a cheap shot by many sponsors including the few of us who give our time freely to provide advice and assistance. Personally, I couldnt give a toss about margins. My goal is to point out pitfalls allow members to choose the right gear for themselves, not what I think they should have.

    I would hope that your buying experience woud have reflected that?* :-?

    Trust that lever is still pulling deadly shots....

    Chris

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    308

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6055585F6B775B52525151340 link=1339292524/4#4 date=1339367308
    To assume that sponsors are here merely to extract maximum margin on gear is may well be interpreted as a cheap shot by many sponsors
    Except that I never said anything of the sort, in fact i specifically recommended the OP contact the sponsors to get prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6055585F6B775B52525151340 link=1339292524/4#4 date=1339367308
    I think the flip side is that the site is also lucky to have some knowledgable sponsors
    I also think I made the point that there were advantages as well.

    The drawbacks are real though, and I continue to be troubled by the fact that the site really purports to be something its not - a public forum, in the usual sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6055585F6B775B52525151340 link=1339292524/4#4 date=1339367308
    I would hope that your buying experience woud have reflected that?
    Of course it does, and thats why I just last week recommended an interested party to you for an intended purchase of another Izzo Pompeii. Its why I rang you to see if you could sell me a new grinder a couple of days ago.

    Ultimately thats one of the problems with this being a commercial site, to be honest sponsors can get a bit precious about the motivation and intention of users - precisley because they have a financial interest.

    My experiences with all the sponsors I have dealt with over the years have all been 100% positive in terms of their products, service & support. Thats not the issue I have.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6055585F6B775B52525151340 link=1339292524/4#4 date=1339367308
    Trust that lever is still pulling deadly shots....
    Of course it is! You talked me into buying the ultimate espresso machine!! ;D

    Anyway I apologise for dragging this thread completely off topic, perhaps its a discussion that the sponsors should have collectively and reconsider some aspects like the ban on linking to non-sponsor sites?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    21

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Its handbags at dawn eh!

    Think Ill go for the Mignon then - right price, right supplier and pretty comparable to the others.

    Role on Friday :)

  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3D3B362F373B235A0 link=1339292524/5#5 date=1339373802
    Talk_Coffee wrote Today at 08:28:
    To assume that sponsors are here merely to extract maximum margin on gear is may well be interpreted as a cheap shot by many sponsors.

    Except that I never said anything of the sort, in fact i specifically recommended the OP contact the sponsors to get prices.
    Agreed. My apologies if you thought my statement was directed specifically at you galumay. Many here do though. My intention was to clarify that. Like members, sponsors also come in two varieties: contributors and lurkers.

    Like you, sponsors who contribute here are also passionate about coffee. Its not just moving boxes. It why we make time at all hours to offer opinions and professional advice. That said, the incentive to contribute is falling away as I see it. Sadly, some appear to live in a permanent holding pattern seeking any opportunity/excuse to criticise- if not here, then elsewhere ::)

    Quote Originally Posted by 3D3B362F373B235A0 link=1339292524/5#5 date=1339373802
    Anyway I apologise for dragging this thread completely off topic, perhaps its a discussion that the sponsors should have collectively and reconsider some aspects like the ban on linking to non-sponsor sites?
    Keeping it off topic, thats a decision for the site owner and mods- not sponsors. That said, if anyone can plug anyone else there would be little incentive for sponsors to contribute financially. You then risk breakdown of the entire model as well as more expensive beans and other gear which we and Andy subsidise. I dont see anyone complaining about the cost of greens or freight?* :-? ;)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    290

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    Does the Midgeon have a scale of fineness?

    I only have seen them with a twist knob? Does this make dialling it in after cleaning etc troublesome?

  10. #10
    .
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,312

    Re: Eureka Mignon v K3 v Mahlkonig Vario for my Bezzera BZ35?

    You DO NOT NEED to open up a grinder to clean it in a home use (LOW VOLUME) situation particularly if it is managed in the "recommended" (here) way which is to only put enough beans in the hopper for each sitting and basically run the thing out of coffee at every use.

    About all you need to do if you want, is occasionally stick the end of the vacuum cleaner up the grinders outlet spout and suck it out, and the same in the hopper. Assist with something like a long thin paint brush.

    That means, you dont need to worry about "dialing" anything in, because you didnt move anything in the first place!

    KISS always works for me ;)

    Any grinder with an actual micrometric adjuster will be tedious to adjust back up ("dial in") because of the very slow movement per number of turns made of the adjuster. But that is what makes them so accurate! However as already stated....its not a problem.

    Hope that helps.



Similar Threads

  1. Mahlkonig Vario question
    By FineGrind in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th December 2012, 01:31 PM
  2. !!!SOLD!!! - FS: Mahlkonig Vario Grinder
    By Juddylicious in forum SOLD
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30th September 2011, 09:42 AM
  3. Mahlkonig Vario Grinder
    By A_M in forum Grinders
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10th September 2011, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •