Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TC
  • 1 Post By BLrdFX
  • 1 Post By BLrdFX

Thread: Is Kony E, is good

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    158

    Is Kony E, is good

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After spending the past 6 months with a Mazzer Major E I didnt see myself changing my grinder for quite awhile. But after being offered a Kony E I couldnt resist. Ive been through 500grams of coffee in less than 24 hours and reinvigorated my passion for the ultimate espresso. The Kony is definately slower than the Major but Im not in a hurry, so its no worry. Ive really enjoyed swapping back to my naked portafilter and watching the pours its very satisfying.
    Im now looking forward to trying my hand at some roasting, Behmor come at me!!

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Welcome to the club AREXtwo,

    Mine's about to go "round the clock" in the next couple of weeks and I consider it's run in now.

    There is not another grinder on the market which I'm prepared to consider replacing it with.
    matth3wh likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BLrdFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    123

    Kony-E

    The build quality is great! The speed is not a real issue unless you are racing baristas in a Cafe'.

    I use a scale on the PF Forks and weigh each shot.

    IMG_0032.jpg
    Dimal likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    158
    Yeah I noticed some people weighing the basket as it is loaded, what weight do you shoot for for a double?

  5. #5
    Senior Member BLrdFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    123
    It depends on the machine and the dose. For my LM GS/3 I use a 17g dose and for the L-I I use a 15.5g dose.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    299
    I have the E mated with a GS3. In hindsight, I think the manual version would have been the better option for my home usage. I tend to make 2 or 3 lots of 2 coffees (6 coffees) over the space of each morning. I do find for that low volume useage, that I get fluctuations in the dose each morning. That is what was good for today will not necessarily be good for tomorrow. in a high volume scenario such as a cafe (in fairness where the machine was designed to be used) it is fine as you would dial it in each morning. But I dont really pull enough shots to dial it in each morning. So I do find I probably waste more coffee with the E than I did with my old mazzer mini in trying to get a consistent dose.

    However, that slight issueaside, I do love the grinder. I painted mine orange (there's a thread here on it) and do find that the chrome nozzle on the E does complement the paint job. So that is a plus for it over the manual models.

  7. #7
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Hi Clinto,

    I have the exact same setup (albeit black grinder). I bin the first grind each morning and then shoot away. My usage is similar to yours and I'm finding mine terrific. Perhaps I have more shots up and that might be the reason. I'm currently at 9800.

    Chris

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    239

    Is Kony E, is good

    I am currently at 3950 on mine and like Chris bin the first grinds through in the morning and it gets consistent enough from there. It took 2000 shots for the burrs to settle I think.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I am currently at 3950 on mine and like Chris bin the first grinds through in the morning and it gets consistent enough from there. It took 2000 shots for the burrs to settle I think.
    I have been doing exactly the same and it's working a treat

  10. #10
    Senior Member BLrdFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    123
    I really like the Kony-E but need to dump the first 1, or maybe 2, doubles into the compost bucket otherwise those stale grounds wreck the taste and flow of the shot.

    Does the MINI Mazzer retain less grounds?

  11. #11
    Senior Member specialpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by BLrdFX View Post
    I really like the Kony-E but need to dump the first 1, or maybe 2, doubles into the compost bucket otherwise those stale grounds wreck the taste and flow of the shot.

    Does the MINI Mazzer retain less grounds?
    +1 with dumping the first shot for the kony-e. The first shot (being stale grinds within the chute/chambers) always results with squirts everywhere when using the naked handle. I usually dump this shot unless I know I'm going to make coffee for someone that doesn't really care about coffee, or for anyone asking for a 'weak' coffee. Second shot is much better.

    Mazzer Mini (manual/doser) definitely retains less grounds provided you've done the sweeper mod & use a brush to clear out the chute. The only retention is where all the crushing/grinding occurs. I dont really bother purging this because shots come out beautifully. It's a bit harder to use a brush with the kony (it screws up the dosing button and you have to take off the electronic panel + remove the grill... which isn't worth the trouble).

  12. #12
    Senior Member BLrdFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    123
    Mazzer really did figure out the electronic dosing with the full, packed chute and chamber. You are correct about messing up the dosing button if the chute is cleaned!

    Do you think the Mazzer Mini-E Type B retains as much as the Kony-E??? I know they are completely different types of burrs but I am interested in the grounds retention/
    AREXTwo likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by AREXTwo View Post
    After spending the past 6 months with a Mazzer Major E I didnt see myself changing my grinder for quite awhile. But after being offered a Kony E I couldnt resist. Ive been through 500grams of coffee in less than 24 hours and reinvigorated my passion for the ultimate espresso. The Kony is definately slower than the Major but Im not in a hurry, so its no worry. Ive really enjoyed swapping back to my naked portafilter and watching the pours its very satisfying.
    Im now looking forward to trying my hand at some roasting, Behmor come at me!!
    hi,
    with you experience, how long it take to grind 18gr? ( Major VS Kony )
    also Kony has 63mm outside diameter, do you know the inner diameter?
    (Robur Burr has 71mm out and 49mm in diameter)

    cheers

  14. #14
    Senior Member BLrdFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    123
    Comparing a flat burr to a conical burr is pretty tough. The grind paths are completely different and therefore the amount of time the coffee is in contact with the burr is different.

    Apples & oranges.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecoin View Post
    hi,
    with you experience, how long it take to grind 18gr? ( Major VS Kony )
    also Kony has 63mm outside diameter, do you know the inner diameter?
    (Robur Burr has 71mm out and 49mm in diameter)

    cheers
    6.8 seconds for Major and 7.35 for the Kony. Not sure about those diameters though

  16. #16
    Senior Member saoye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by specialpants View Post
    Mazzer Mini (manual/doser) definitely retains less grounds provided you've done the sweeper mod & use a brush to clear out the chute. The only retention is where all the crushing/grinding occurs. I dont really bother purging this because shots come out beautifully. It's a bit harder to use a brush with the kony (it screws up the dosing button and you have to take off the electronic panel + remove the grill... which isn't worth the trouble).
    I have come to prefer my mazzer mini E over my doser now that I have no more retention problem. You will have to remove the grill though. Here's a link to my grind retention problem for the mazzer mini E.

    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...solutions.html

    Absolutely no stale grounds left behind. (I do also give the grinder neck/collar a sweep to clear out the unground beans left in there). The pastry brush is your friend

  17. #17
    Senior Member BLrdFX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    123
    Thanks Saoye! Now I remember that Thread. It appears that the MINI has less retention than the Kony. Thanks for the refresher course

    Stephen

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Hmmmm might be time to upgrade my Major...

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by AREXTwo View Post
    6.8 seconds for Major and 7.35 for the Kony. Not sure about those diameters though
    good enough for home @ 7.35"
    thanks

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    158
    For comparative purposes thought I'd share a photo of my line up, I don't think I have a coffee problem... Do I???
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by AREXTwo View Post
    For comparative purposes thought I'd share a photo of my line up, I don't think I have a coffee problem... Do I???
    very nice setup, with Kony @7.35", can you drop a video, because i have a plan to downgrade from Robur to Kony for my Home setup, i just fill to much coffee leave inside the machine, some video on youtube has different time frame.

    cheers

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecoin View Post
    very nice setup, with Kony @7.35", can you drop a video, because i have a plan to downgrade from Robur to Kony for my Home setup, i just fill to much coffee leave inside the machine, some video on youtube has different time frame.

    cheers
    Ok , no problem

  23. #23
    Senior Member specialpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    310
    I don't know if this helps Bluecoin, but it's about 6 seconds for 20g on my one.

    It did originally start at 8 seconds but has had a chance to wear in over the past two years (very easy domestic use - mainly on weekends). I did chuck up a couple of videos on youtube.

  24. #24
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,978
    Quote Originally Posted by BLrdFX View Post
    I use a scale on the PF Forks and weigh each shot.

    IMG_0032.jpg
    Very simple, and nifty adaptation "BLrdFX".....

    Mal.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by specialpants View Post
    I don't know if this helps Bluecoin, but it's about 6 seconds for 20g on my one.

    It did originally start at 8 seconds but has had a chance to wear in over the past two years (very easy domestic use - mainly on weekends). I did chuck up a couple of videos on youtube.
    not to bad, my Robur about 4 sec, maybe i will down grade for my home setup with Kony, hope i can try KONY-E by my hand.

    cheers



Similar Threads

  1. Playing with a Kony-E
    By scollops in forum Grinders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd January 2013, 10:32 AM
  2. Mods for Kony-E
    By redzone121 in forum Grinders
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th March 2011, 05:40 PM
  3. Kony-e vs K30
    By stucci in forum Grinders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th December 2010, 08:00 PM
  4. Does anyone in Sydney have a Kony-E?
    By Identity in forum Grinders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29th October 2009, 02:09 PM
  5. Mazzer Kony
    By rowd in forum Grinders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th July 2006, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •