Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Grinding for more consumer machines?

  1. #1
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,041

    Grinding for more consumer machines?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi folks
    I need to roast up and grind a few bags of coffee as a gift for a fella who has a consumer machine (not sure which) but no grinder. I have found in the past that the espresso grind that is perfect for my E-61 machine from the Macap tends to choke Breville/Sunbeam style machines. Any ideas how far towards a plunger style grind I'd need to head in my grind settings to be relatively safe from choking his machine? Half way?
    Cheers
    Matt

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
    Hi folks
    I need to roast up and grind a few bags of coffee as a gift for a fella who has a consumer machine (not sure which) but no grinder. I have found in the past that the espresso grind that is perfect for my E-61 machine from the Macap tends to choke Breville/Sunbeam style machines. Any ideas how far towards a plunger style grind I'd need to head in my grind settings to be relatively safe from choking his machine? Half way?
    Cheers
    Matt
    Unfortunately There is no right or wrong answer as each day and each machine is different. When I say day as in humidity and tempreture that will affect the extraction of the coffee. Yes you can buy the pregrounded coffees from woolies but those are not as fresh as they can be. FYI each grinder is also different in terms of steps or stepless.

    The exact model of the grinder that you have/ using to ground the beans, would be handy??

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,022
    Probably better a little too course than too fine Matt.

  4. #4
    TOK
    TOK is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    697
    go about half way between a filter grind and the grind you use for your machine, for starters

  5. #5
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Probably better a little too course than too fine Matt.
    Yeah, 'spect you're right there
    I know this is hardy an ideal CS situation, but when people are willing to pay for pre-ground…

    I'm sure Andy gets plenty of orders for "15kg espresso ground to be used at out fate in march - just want to be sure I get in early before the Christmas rush!"

    Quote Originally Posted by TOK View Post
    go about half way between a filter grind and the grind you use for your machine, for starters
    Sounds like a plan. On the Macap I grind for plunger about 1.5 "numbers" from espresso - so might halve this distance and see how we fare…

    Thanks all
    Matt


    PS I did go away once to a pretty ritzy get-away weekender which had a Breville Cafe Series, and pre-ground in the fridge. Wasn't expecting great things (but better than the coffee bags we took!) so gave it a whirl. Bit of a gusher no matter how hard I tamped - but through milk was actually pretty nice!
    So have high hope that my premium home-roast might be just what the doctor ordered - pre-ground or otherwise



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •