Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Yelta

Thread: Grindz in a Mazzer Mini - "medium" setting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28

    Grindz in a Mazzer Mini - "medium" setting

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Decided to try some Grindz in the Mazzer. The instructions say to use a "medium" setting. Unfortunately, after decades being a programmer, the word "medium" lacks the required unambiguity. (I know, my wife tells me it's a negative personality trait in the "real" world.)

    Since I only grind for espresso, "medium" for me is 6 or 7 notches back from the usual range. If you use the grinder for French Press, then "medium" might be 180 degrees back from the espresso range.

    Can someone put me out of my misery? Most likely, "Paul, it's not important - just wind it back about a quarter of a turn and get on with it." would be excellent advice.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,660
    I wind my K3 out a fair bit.....to sort of a plunger grind....never had a problem, and Grindz clean quite well.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,949
    Hmmm, posted an answer about half an hour ago! nowhere to be seen so will say it again.

    The Mazzer Mini has numbers from 0 to 9 on the adjustment collar, set it on 5 and all should be well.

    Or you could simply unscrew the burr carrier and give it all a good clean out, simple job, will take 15 mins at the outside.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dragunov21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Or you could simply unscrew the burr carrier and give it all a good clean out, simple job, will take 15 mins at the outside.
    Is there any need to clean further than just brushing the burrs? I'd have thought there was a buildup of oils that grinds would clean out that a simple brushing wouldn't?

    Particularly relevant because I put some mystery beans from a friend's parents' farm through my K6 and I suspect they were inexpertly-roasted, 100% robusta.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Interesting...
    And thanks for the suggestions, Barry and Yelta.

    I set it to 5 (or half a turn or Plunger grind) and it was all over in a few seconds. That was a quick 6 bucks worth.
    Had a look down into the burrs - looks OK. Had a look into the outlet chute - hmmm - I can still see brown stuff.

    So I pulled the burr carrier off (which was always my intention anyway) and the burrs looked nice and clean but, as expected, there was still lots of coffee which the Grindz didn't get to. But only took a few minutes to clean it with a brush.

    Which brings us to your question, Dragunov21 - does Grindz have any "detergent" like action? I read everything I could find before I bought it and can't remember if that was discussed. As Yelta pointed out, it's not hard to pull it apart and give it a clean, so did my $6 add any value to my normal cleaning regime?

    Guess I'll use the other two satchels when it's due for the next two cleans , pull it down afterwards and then decide if I buy any more.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,949
    Quote Originally Posted by paul49 View Post
    Interesting...
    And thanks for the suggestions, Barry and Yelta.

    I set it to 5 (or half a turn or Plunger grind) and it was all over in a few seconds. That was a quick 6 bucks worth.
    Had a look down into the burrs - looks OK. Had a look into the outlet chute - hmmm - I can still see brown stuff.

    So I pulled the burr carrier off (which was always my intention anyway) and the burrs looked nice and clean but, as expected, there was still lots of coffee which the Grindz didn't get to. But only took a few minutes to clean it with a brush.

    Which brings us to your question, Dragunov21 - does Grindz have any "detergent" like action? I read everything I could find before I bought it and can't remember if that was discussed. As Yelta pointed out, it's not hard to pull it apart and give it a clean, so did my $6 add any value to my normal cleaning regime?

    Guess I'll use the other two satchels when it's due for the next two cleans , pull it down afterwards and then decide if I buy any more.
    I don't bother Paul, just remove the burr carrier every few months and give it a clean up, the burrs themselves accumulate very little gunk, most of it seems to collect in the grinding chamber, and as you say Grindz wont remove it.
    DesigningByCoffee and Dimal like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by paul49 View Post
    Interesting...
    And thanks for the suggestions, Barry and Yelta.

    I set it to 5 (or half a turn or Plunger grind) and it was all over in a few seconds. That was a quick 6 bucks worth.
    Had a look down into the burrs - looks OK. Had a look into the outlet chute - hmmm - I can still see brown stuff.

    So I pulled the burr carrier off (which was always my intention anyway) and the burrs looked nice and clean but, as expected, there was still lots of coffee which the Grindz didn't get to. But only took a few minutes to clean it with a brush.

    Which brings us to your question, Dragunov21 - does Grindz have any "detergent" like action? I read everything I could find before I bought it and can't remember if that was discussed. As Yelta pointed out, it's not hard to pull it apart and give it a clean, so did my $6 add any value to my normal cleaning regime?

    Guess I'll use the other two satchels when it's due for the next two cleans , pull it down afterwards and then decide if I buy any more.
    If you do persist with using Grindz....it's a lot cheaper buying by the canister.

  8. #8
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    I don't bother Paul, just remove the burr carrier every few months and give it a clean up, the burrs themselves accumulate very little gunk, most of it seems to collect in the grinding chamber, and as you say Grindz wont remove it.
    Hi Paul
    Second this. I've got a Macap M4 which is very similar. Now I've done it a few times it's a very quick job to strip and clean. By the sounds of it - you had to strip & clean to get the residual Grindz out anyway!

    I just do mine every few months when the chute starts looking oily and gronky - then a collection of toothpicks & cotton tips, plus the vacuum (and doesn't the vacuuming smell good for a week after!) gets it spotless again - so much so that you can taste the difference
    Matt

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
    (and doesn't the vacuuming smell good for a week after!)
    Matt
    Hi Matt,
    My hands smell the same way every time as well. It takes a few days before they don't smell like a neglected grinder.

    I've had a Cunil El Tranquilo for about 12 years which I stripped down 3-4 times a year for cleaning. I bought The Mazzer about two years ago and it is a little easier to strip and clean so I'm not even sure why I bought the packet of Grindz. More in the nature of an experiment perhaps?

    Nobody has chimed in to say that it has magical restorative powers so I think I got the result I expected.

    (And it turned a boring cleaning session into an experiment so that was worth a few dollars.)

  10. #10
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,949
    As a matter of interest Paul this thread also prompted me to post this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...zzer-mini.html



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •