Results 1 to 37 of 37
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DesigningByCoffee
  • 1 Post By Dr_Dave
  • 1 Post By MattyRay
  • 2 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By Yelta

Thread: Suggestions for manual grinder?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134

    Suggestions for manual grinder?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I've been given an older coffee machine which I am working on at the moment, and am looking for suggestions on grinders.

    I was thinking about getting a manual grinder as they tend to be less expensive than an electric but from what I gather they can still produce a high quality grind. I would generally only be making a couple of coffees at a time, so time and effort taken is not a big concern.

    What manual grinder would be best? Any suggestions welcome!

    Thanks,

    Matt

  2. #2
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    Hi MattyRay

    This would be the first place I'd look for a manual grinder if you're not using it for travel so much…

    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...-lido-2-a.html

    However, if the budget is tight, and you're using it with a machine, something like a Breville Smart Grinder may well suit your needs better…

    Cheers Matt

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134
    Thanks for that. I had been eyeing that one off but was hoping to spend a little less :-). We actually use a Breville Smart Grinder at work and it does work well, but is slightly more expensive than the Lido 2.

    How do the Hario Skerton and Mini Mills compare in regard to the Lido 2 with regard to function and grind quality?

    Thanks for the help!

    Matt

  4. #4
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    Hi Matt
    Here is a good place to start…

    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...ch-presso.html

    But a scroll through this grinder thread has lots of reviews on hand grinders - unfortunately the consensus seems to be that small, cheap hand grinders are great for travel with manual methods like an aeropress - but too slow, fiddly and a little inconsistent for use with a machine. A cheap brevile grinder on special is probably your best bet, or look in the for sale section for a second hand Compak or Rancilio Rocky?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134
    Thanks for that info.

    Maybe I should just wait a bit longer and spring for the Lido or a Breville... :-)

    Matt

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyRay View Post
    Thanks for that info.

    Maybe I should just wait a bit longer and spring for the Lido or a Breville... :-)

    Matt
    If your only pulling a couple of shots here and there and don't mind a work out go the Lido2 for sure. Grind quality for espresso is excellent.
    Check out the Lido2 thread for more of my thoughts.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134
    I'll do that Steve, thanks for that!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7
    Hand grinder would be your cheapest option if you dont mind spending a couple of minutes of labour intensive hand grinding prior, given me tasty results and all part of the morning ritual. Comandante or Porlex both with ceramic burrs

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    297
    Hario skerton is fine with my Aeropress but it is hard work for espresso grinds. Fairly big steps in the grind adjustment, but it might depend on how good your machine is.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134
    Ok, thanks for the information. I think I might borrow a hand grinder first to see if it's for me, and make a decision from ther.

    Cheers!

  11. #11
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Try out a Hario hand grinder. Japanese quality. You can't go wrong.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    13
    You should get a LIDO3 when it comes out....

    There's a SCAJ event, and OE did a booth there..

    google "SCAJ LIDO3" and find the link to the coffeegeek thread...

  13. #13
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Hi Matt,

    If you're in Melbourne, come and have a play with our demo Lido 2. They are a seriously high quality bit 'o kit.

    Chris

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134
    Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Chris, I'm in Adelaide unfortunately, but thanks for the offer. The reviews I've read are pretty positive, so when the time comes I'd be happy to buy on reputation.

    Regards,

    Matt

  15. #15
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    The Cafe de Tiamo is great quality and good value. I love the glass bottom.

  16. #16
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Chris, I can't wait to see the Lido 2. That's in a class of its own...

  17. #17
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Chris, does the Lido 2 grind with less effort than a Kyocera?

  18. #18
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly404 View Post
    Chris, does the Lido 2 grind with less effort than a Kyocera?
    Hi Pauly. I have both and the Lido 2 does "feel easier" to me. Can't say I have quantitative measurements, but the action is fine- and smooth.

    Chris

  19. #19
    kbc
    kbc is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,960
    Thanks Chris

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    So if I wanted a value grinder for our occasional camping holidays, am I going to notice a significant difference between the Lido 2 and a Porlex or similar? I'm using a Bacchi stovetop espresso machine and have noticed with my smart grinder I'm using a 10 grind setting compared to 13 for my Breville BES 900. Even on such a fine grind I'm still finding the extraction too fast on the Bacchi. I just don't want to have to bring a big electric grinder into the camper but don't want to spend big dollars for maybe 20 days a year.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5
    How can you go past the rossa. Not cheap and i like that there is a kilo of brass in it. And better bearings than the crankshaft in my car. commercial link removed per site posting policy
    Last edited by Javaphile; 12th December 2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Commercial link(s) removed

  22. #22
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by blybo View Post
    So if I wanted a value grinder for our occasional camping holidays, am I going to notice a significant difference between the Lido 2 and a Porlex or similar? I'm using a Bacchi stovetop espresso machine and have noticed with my smart grinder I'm using a 10 grind setting compared to 13 for my Breville BES 900. Even on such a fine grind I'm still finding the extraction too fast on the Bacchi. I just don't want to have to bring a big electric grinder into the camper but don't want to spend big dollars for maybe 20 days a year.
    I've just picked up a Lido from Chris. Awesome bit of kit!
    I also wanted something to take away for holidays and car camping to use with the Aeropress or plunger, but could also handle espresso sampling duties or filter at home - and the Lido will easily handle all of this. I think it would handle the Bacchi grind better than a Porlex - but don't quote me. I haven't used the Porlex, but consensus seems to be here at CS that the smaller grinders struggle with espresso - the Lido doesn't.
    I looked at a Rossi too - smaller, awesome quality and I'm a sucker for machined brass - but twice the price.

    Cheers Matt
    TC likes this.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
    I've just picked up a Lido from Chris. Awesome bit of kit!
    I also wanted something to take away for holidays and car camping to use with the Aeropress or plunger, but could also handle espresso sampling duties or filter at home - and the Lido will easily handle all of this. I think it would handle the Bacchi grind better than a Porlex - but don't quote me. I haven't used the Porlex, but consensus seems to be here at CS that the smaller grinders struggle with espresso - the Lido doesn't.
    I looked at a Rossi too - smaller, awesome quality and I'm a sucker for machined brass - but twice the price.

    Cheers Matt
    Adding to this helpful post, side by side the Porlex is not anywhere near the same league as the Lido2 for grind quality, build quality / speed. As for flavour its no contest.

    I would imagine the Rosco and Lido2 to be on par in terms of output quality and a more appropriate comparison overall.
    Rosco looks like it could go a generation longer though.

    I gave my Porlex away....

  24. #24
    Senior Member gonzo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve82 View Post
    Adding to this helpful post, side by side the Porlex is not anywhere near the same league as the Lido2 for grind quality, build quality / speed.

    I gave my Porlex away....
    You aren't mistaken that it is not in the same league. It certainly isn't ideal as an espresso grinder doemstically. However, for the minimalist traveller its design is noteworthy for Aeropress users as it fits into it perfectly. The handle can stir the grinds and the grinds container eliminates the need for a funnel to pour beans into it without going everywhere.

    Lido 2 & the 'brass monster' take the win in this case.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Gavisconi007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by blybo View Post
    So if I wanted a value grinder for our occasional camping holidays, am I going to notice a significant difference between the Lido 2 and a Porlex or similar? I'm using a Bacchi stovetop espresso machine and have noticed with my smart grinder I'm using a 10 grind setting compared to 13 for my Breville BES 900. Even on such a fine grind I'm still finding the extraction too fast on the Bacchi. I just don't want to have to bring a big electric grinder into the camper but don't want to spend big dollars for maybe 20 days a year.

    I have the Bacchi matched with the Lido (version 1 ). I wanted something that I could take up the coast on trips away, produces good quality coffee, and needs no maintenance and I must say this combo is spot on. I put it all in a small bag with my latest roast and it produces a far better coffee than any cafés do up the coast. Highly recommend the Lido matched with the Bacchi .

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Hamptons
    Posts
    293
    Hi Guys,
    Looking for a portable grinder to travel with the Otto. We need something that grinds finely and is lightish for travel (aircraft not in a back pack)
    Would you recommend the Lido or something else?
    I see the Lido 3 is being developed and looks ideal for travel - does anyone have any experience of the Lido 3?
    Thanks for any help
    Dave
    Last edited by Dr_Dave; 23rd January 2015 at 09:58 AM.

  27. #27
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    The Lido is awesome - and easily handles espresso grind (which I believe you need for the Otto). Not small or overly light - but neither is the Otto!
    Matt

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Hamptons
    Posts
    293
    Thanks Matt!
    I really like the Otto - it has produced great coffee on our holiday in Japan.
    I will wait and see what Lido 3 looks like when released as am in no rush
    Cheers
    Dave
    DesigningByCoffee likes this.

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    60
    Hausgrind or Feldgrind by Made By Knock have a good reputation

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Hamptons
    Posts
    293
    Thanks for that. In no rush so will have a look at them
    Cheers
    Dave

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    13
    I'm trying to talk myself into a porlex mini hand grinder. It'll do the job, yes?

    Then i see the Lido 2 being advertised on the same page and wonder "its 5 times the price, but how much better is it?".

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Hamptons
    Posts
    293
    Hi KC,
    Lots of comparisons in the world - cortina vs Ferrari. Both will get you to destination etc.
    For me the Lido 3 looks ideal for travelling. I'll wait and see how much they are once in production
    Cheers
    Dave

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134
    Just an update:

    I ended up purchasing the Lido 2 from Chris at Talk Coffee around 12 months ago and have been very happy with it. I am currently using it to grind for a La Pavoni Pro and it is doing a great job. I have to have it set to within 1 or 2 graduations of it's finest, but at it's finest, I am able to choke the Pavoni. It can take quite a while to grind when set this fine, but I very rarely pull more than two at a time. It is a very solid unit, nothing has broken, nor am I expecting anything to :-)

    Regards,

    Matt
    Yelta likes this.

  34. #34
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyRay View Post
    Just an update:

    I ended up purchasing the Lido 2 from Chris at Talk Coffee around 12 months ago and have been very happy with it. I am currently using it to grind for a La Pavoni Pro and it is doing a great job. I have to have it set to within 1 or 2 graduations of it's finest, but at it's finest, I am able to choke the Pavoni. It can take quite a while to grind when set this fine, but I very rarely pull more than two at a time. It is a very solid unit, nothing has broken, nor am I expecting anything to :-)

    Regards,

    Matt
    Morning Matt, LaPavoni Pro and manual grinder, sounds to me like your coffee making ritual would be a very quiet process, I like it.

    As a matter of interest what type of coffee do you make with the Pav?
    simonko and magnafunk like this.

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Morning Matt, LaPavoni Pro and manual grinder, sounds to me like your coffee making ritual would be a very quiet process, I like it.

    As a matter of interest what type of coffee do you make with the Pav?
    I usually do cappuccinos for my wife and cappuccino/latte for myself. I do prefer a ristretto type shot. I'm also about to get into roasting my own beans, so that will be an interesting time.

    It was only in the last few days that I got a double filter, and it is sooo much better than the single I received with the machine.

    BTW, I notice you are in Moonta - I am in Adelaide but periodically stay at a family friend's shack at Pt Hughes, so Moonta is quite familiar to me :-)

    Cheers,

    Matt

  36. #36
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyRay View Post

    It was only in the last few days that I got a double filter, and it is sooo much better than the single I received with the machine.

    BTW, I notice you are in Moonta - I am in Adelaide but periodically stay at a family friend's shack at Pt Hughes, so Moonta is quite familiar to me :-)

    Cheers,

    Matt
    I agree, the double basket is streets ahead of the single.

    We like it on the Copper Coast, nice quiet area.
    MattyRay likes this.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    280
    That's my dream coffee nirvana, lever and hand grinder - degraditis I guess. A therapeutic ritual, a slowing down, the same feeling sharpening knives on a stone gives.

    It just sucks when you've got many coffees to make with others telling you their Nespresso is much quicker.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •