Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By snedden9485

Thread: ECM Automatik 64 v Profitec T64

ECM Automatik 64 v Profitec T64

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys

contemplating upgrading to an electronic doser less grinder and leaning towards the ECM to match my Mechanika machine.

Im of the belief both of these grinders come from the same factory (same parent company), but are there any real differences beyond minor aesthetics and the operation switch (button near PF holder compared to press button on top)?

thanks people

Chris

After viewing Readerals review of the Profitec I guess most of my questions are answered...
    Dimal and readeral like this.

Iv now spotted a near new Mazzer Major electronic which is around that $1300 mark. Trying to figure out if this is too much grinder for home use. Obviously it will retain more grounds, but is the 5-7 gram retention accurate?

Space or height isn't really an issue as I have a dedicated trolley which has lots of room.

Trying to figure out which way to steer is bloody tough! Do I go a small moderately fast machine or a massive beast that's tried and tested???

The Major is super-quick mate; in the region of Robur performance and that's saying something, if speed is a consideration...

Mal.

Cheers Mal. Speed is somewhat a factor, but not really that important for home use. The ECM would do it marginally slower.

I guess its the new kid on the block or the old general???

Or I could buy a near new Macap m4d for around $800 or thereabouts from on here. Decisions decisions!!!

Laughing at your comment above :P re choice... Hmm tricky. I honestly find that 7 seconds is plenty fast enough. I dilly dally around with so many other things when making coffee (like needlessly flushing my portafilter between shots and drying it again) that if I cared, I could make up that time elsewhere.. So having much less of my bench taken up is a deciding factor for me. Obvs not an issue for you. BUT if you have the space, AND if you would find yourself doing events at any time with your gear, maybe the major is a better choice in the end, as it might be more heat stable and quicker between coffees.
    My hunch about the ECM/Profitec is it's less good for single dosing. It does have the anti static screen, and it does an excellent job with it, but does hold onto your grinds. So if that's how you operate, then I'd lean toward the major.

Honestly, I don't have Major experience. Can't compare quality - but the Profitec ain't unproven anymore in my book. JetBlack sell out of them all the time. I love it. My coffee is delicious

(Also I don't have any concerns about burr heat transfer in the ECM, but it has a service cycle more suited to the home environment, not 20 back to back shots.)

Is the Major doserless? That'd be a deal breaker for me if it wasn't.

By holding onto grinds, do you mean it needs a 2 second purge between shots after sitting for a few hours between coffees? I always dump 5g or so between shots over a few min apart anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Is the Major doserless? That'd be a deal breaker for me if it wasn't.
    yes major electronic doser less

I only purge in the morning. I just deal with whatever is there in the afternoon. My coffee in the morning is no more delicious than my coffee in the afternoon, but they are both delicious. I purge about 2 seconds, so yeah probably 5g or so. Likely it's overkill, but that's what I've set it as and haven't changed it. Honestly, when the Sydney humidity backs off into autumn, I'll probably have to purge less.

Any grinder with a screen will retain grinds, as it needs pressure to move that coffee through, but I like what it achieves, and wouldn't change it. If one DOES want to change it though, all you need is a set of Allen keys. Don't need to rip it out like in a Mazzer.

Quote Originally Posted by snedden9485 View Post
    yes major electronic doser less
    Reckon it's worth buying it anyway, and if your resale ends up below $1300, you could just write it off as paying ~$100 for the experience?

Sorry I don't mean to keep spamming your thread, but how quick and clean is the Quamar? as far as I know it has the same size burrs and generally the 7s ballpark for grind speed; is that true? If so, an ECM/Profitec might be a sideways movement, rather than an upward one? WRT build quality and style (maybe even longevity) I'm sure that the ECM would top the Quamar - but will you get a better day to day coffee? I'm really none-the-wiser. But it's a factor to think through.

I like the smaller hopper, it's easy to manage and not overfill, and the ECM is really quiet. Maybe noise would be a factor to consider too between ECM/Prof and the Mazzer?
    And finally, adjusting the grind KICKS BUTT on the ECM over Mazzer. No careful adjustment skills required, just twist the nob.

My quamar has 52mm burrs from memory. It's around 20 second grind time, similar to a mini E I guess.

Mine is a q50, the q80 has bigger burrs and motor and does times around 6 seconds for a double shot.

Reviving this thread in lieu of starting another as it covers the topics I want to cover. (I've also read the thread referred to in this one reviewing the Profitec T64)

I'm using the ECM's little brother the C54. In the short time I've had it, it appears to be a nice little grinder. It suffers from the same retention issue as it's big brother. Although if I remove the spout I can remove at least half of the retained grinds with a brush.
    I pulled it apart for a clean the other day. Weighing the total retained grinds came in at 5.7g. I cleaned the spout (without removing any of the grinds inside the grinder) and removed about 4g.

Anyway, The biggest annoyance with the C54 is the stepped grind adjustment. I'd much prefer a worm drive as per the two discussed in this thread.

I've had a chat with the retailer I purchased my Mechnika Slim and grinder from, and they will take the C54 back if I want to trade up to the higher model ECM C64.

For users of the ECM C64 how have you found it after 12 months or more of use?
    Apart from the anti-static gate any issues/problems/irks?

Thanks for any thoughts/comments

Cheers Gordon