Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Gavisconi007
  • 3 Post By Gavisconi007
  • 4 Post By TC

Thread: EK43 Mahlkonig - HOME USE

  1. #1
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    727

    EK43 Mahlkonig - HOME USE

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

    Im looking into getting a new bag grinder, I have been looking at the ek43 mahlkonig. Can someone tell me if these are suitable for home use also. I understand they are a large grinder and I also see you can get an attachment for them for espresso. Just wondering if they are more of a fuss to use for home and better just as a bag grinder?

    I guess im thinking of doing away with my current bag grinder and my smaller grinder i use with my machine should the EK be suitable to use for both.

    Kind regards,

    Chris

  2. #2
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    Hi all,

    Im looking into getting a new bag grinder, I have been looking at the ek43 mahlkonig. Can someone tell me if these are suitable for home use also. I understand they are a large grinder and I also see you can get an attachment for them for espresso. Just wondering if they are more of a fuss to use for home and better just as a bag grinder?

    I guess im thinking of doing away with my current bag grinder and my smaller grinder i use with my machine should the EK be suitable to use for both.

    Kind regards,

    Chris
    I can tell you I used one of the EKs at work to grind decaf filter coffee, then espresso (a little messy) and then the best ground filter coffee I've ever had through a grinder with a quick adjustment of the dial.

    I refrain from engaging in grinder discussions but my choice when I finally select a grinder with be between an EK43 and the Ditting KR805 with magnetically seated cutters.

  3. #3
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    727
    I assumed it might be a little messy. It might be what i'm trying to work out is it worth it? I guess i wont have to hold the portafilter there long as it will grind the required amount pretty quickly.

  4. #4
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    I assumed it might be a little messy. It might be what i'm trying to work out is it worth it? I guess i wont have to hold the portafilter there long as it will grind the required amount pretty quickly.
    There's a great little funnel that snaps on to a portafiltre to guide the throughput. Site sponsors have them.

    We drink a lot of filter coffee but I tune and test espresso machines. I also have 2-3 different coffee roasts at any one time. The EK just seems more and more like the right grinder for our purposes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    727
    Similar to you i roast a few different blends which i try through my home grinder. However it means removing thr beans that are in there to do so. I have used the ditting i have as a home grinder but felt it was not the most ergonomical grinder to use. Im sure the EK isnt the best either but hey i will see what others have to say.
    Thanks for your thoughts
    😉

  6. #6
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    Same thoughts here with the Ditting. I work on Ditting grinders and they're rock solid. I suppose the cutters are about the same price - I think RRP EK43 hovers around $.6K for a set.

    I'll be interested in what other forum members say as well. I'm not convinced either. I've used the '43 so I'm familiar with it is all.

  7. #7
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    727
    When i was at MICE i was actully surprised how big the EK43 was. Should have taken more notice at the time and had a better look and a play with one.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    When i was at MICE i was actully surprised how big the EK43 was. Should have taken more notice at the time and had a better look and a play with one.
    Artisan Smith makes a beautiful wooden hopper for the '43. If I get one I'll drop it down a bit - maybe a recess on my work bench. The small hopper looks good on them.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sprezzatura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hervey Bay, QLD
    Posts
    930
    ... which reminds me: I saw an image of a chopped down '43. It may be more user friendly (I am not tall) if one doesn't grind directly into 1 kilo/500g bags.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Mania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Chiangmai , Thailand
    Posts
    22
    Hi all

    New to site & enjoying all the info

    On the EK43 Mahlkonig has a new one due late 2016 called the EK43 Barista
    Maybe this is what you saw sprezzatura ?

    This article has a pic of the new Barista model in front of the taller original model

    Last edited by Mania; 30th April 2016 at 01:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Junior Member Mania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Chiangmai , Thailand
    Posts
    22
    <deleted> sorry dbl posted
    Last edited by Mania; 30th April 2016 at 02:17 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979
    There isn't any other grinder that can go between different kinds of coffee, roasts, brewing styles, make them all taste great and still do it with practically no wastage. I love our EK43 at work, We use it for SO espresso, decaf and filter, and switch between during service, once you get used it shots are incredibly repeatable if you accurately weigh your does on the way in and use a well cited jam funnel so you don't lose anything that comes out. You'll find it easy to hit your recipe to within 1 second = more god shots. The main draw back is size and cost.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Gavisconi007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_man67 View Post
    There isn't any other grinder that can go between different kinds of coffee, roasts, brewing styles, make them all taste great and still do it with practically no wastage.
    Sorry to disappoint Muppet, but yes there is, and I have one. It's called an Elektra Nino. No jam funnel required either.......
    BeanBrat and Dimal like this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint Muppet, but yes there is, and I have one. It's called an Elektra Nino. No jam funnel required either.......
    Agreed, Gavisconi ..... The Elektra Nino is one mighty grinder in performance, quality and (to my eyes) style.

  15. #15
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    727
    So does the Elektra Nino act as a bag grinder as well? Have seen these brought up here in discussion but not paid much attention to them.

    Interested to know more.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  16. #16
    Senior Member Gavisconi007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    596
    Hi Chris

    It doesn't have a peg to hold the bag if that's what you mean.

    It can easily adjust between different brew styles though and has virtually no wastage between changes.

    The key feature of the Nino is a stainless steel chute which is connected right into the grind chamber, as opposed to the traditional Mazzer type grinders which have a substantial "tunnel" which the grinds have to make their way through before exiting through the chute.

    The Nino churns out a 20 gram double in approximately 2.8 seconds. A one second purge in the morning is all that is needed to get into fresh beans- ditto between bean changes.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Gavisconi007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    596
    PS- the EK43 looks excellent as well and all I have read is good things about them. Just wanted to point out that it isn't the only grinder in that calibre.

    PPS- the Nino looks BadAss
    BeanBrat, coffeechris and Dimal like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    727
    Cheers, thanks for your thoughts.
    I have to agree it looks great and appealing.
    The EK43 may look great to some but no others.

    I guess im looking for something that will grind a 1kg and more quick as i can, but also act as a grinder to services my own needs and that being espresso.

    I might be better sticking with what i have,

  19. #19
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Hi Chris,

    Suggest you keep your eyes peeled for a preloved Ditting bag grinder.

    You might find one for about $1k if you're lucky.

    Right grinder (with shaker) for the task and $2+k play $$$ remaining in your pocket...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Hi Chris,

    Suggest you keep your eyes peeled for a preloved Ditting bag grinder.

    You might find one for about $1k if you're lucky.

    Right grinder (with shaker) for the task and $2+k play $$$ remaining in your pocket...
    This is a very good suggestion. I have a big Ditting (KFA1103) with 110 mm burrs. It's extremely versatile, a very capable bag grinder with bag holder and also an impressive grinder for espresso.

  21. #21
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Yes. Love mine as well.

    I use a Mahlkonig K501.

    36kg, 115mm burrs and 1.8kg/min of hugely underutilised bag grinder goodness.

    Some weeks, it does absolutely nothing!
    mahlkonig-k501.jpg

  22. #22
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    727
    Kind why im asking. I have my macap i use with my machine and also have my ditting kr804 and was wondering if its worth it or not to selling both and getting a ek43 to use for both grinding large amounts and home use espresso.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    722
    You don't like the 804 for espresso?

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint Muppet, but yes there is, and I have one. It's called an Elektra Nino. No jam funnel required either.......
    That looks great, massive improvement on roburs design by the look of it.

    How does it go if you want a workflow where you are pre-weighing doses, how quickly in practical terms can you grind an espresso, grind 50gm of filter and then switch back to the same espresso recipe? how predictably could you nail the recipe first time on the last shot?

  25. #25
    Senior Member Gavisconi007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_man67 View Post
    That looks great, massive improvement on roburs design by the look of it.

    How does it go if you want a workflow where you are pre-weighing doses, how quickly in practical terms can you grind an espresso, grind 50gm of filter and then switch back to the same espresso recipe? how predictably could you nail the recipe first time on the last shot?
    I couldn't answer that sorry because I've only ever used it at home. I can say though that I can easily switch between bean types and can dial in with very little fuss and very quickly. I've also found that now that I have it paired with a lever there is even less variability between bean types so it rarely needs adjusting.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •