Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By skidquinn
  • 2 Post By Adam76
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By shortblackman
  • 1 Post By DesigningByCoffee

Thread: 2nd home grinder advice for single origin beans

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    32

    2nd home grinder advice for single origin beans

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,
    I'm wanting to add a second (less expensive) electric conical burr grinder to sit next to my Compak 3 -- just for single origin beans for when I want to have a long black coffee.

    Budget is $200 - 300 and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the Sunbeam and Breville options? I know the Lido 3 is a good grinder, but I don't really want to stuff around with a hand grinder.

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Senior Member skidquinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    143
    Hi mate. I've just gone through this process and ended up on a Lido 3.
    I've had cheaper sunbeam grinders in the past (from memory cost me ~$200 new). The result doesn't come close to how good the coffee is out of the Lido 3.
    I wasn't overly keen on the manual grinder thing as well, but it isn't as bad as I expected. The Lido is quick (ie. 45 seconds for 21 grams), quiet and doesn't have to sit on your bench.
    Honestly, for a very similar price point, they are worlds apart.

  3. #3
    Senior Member deegee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane Southside
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam76 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm wanting to add a second (less expensive) electric conical burr grinder to sit next to my Compak 3 -- just for single origin beans for when I want to have a long black coffee.Budget is $200 - 300 and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the Sunbeam and Breville options? I know the Lido 3 is a good grinder, but I don't really want to stuff around with a hand grinder. Thanks .
    If you prefer the electic option, you could have a look at the Breville BCG600SIL . It's a simpler, cheaper version of the Smart Grinder. Same mechanicals as the BCG820, but with a basic timer. I use a hand grinder for my usual "coffee for one", but I get the Breville out when I need to make several cups for family or friends.

    I have no illusions about the quality or longevity, but if I only use it once or twice a month for five or six doubles, I figure it should last fairly well. Their weak point seems to be the plastic gears driving the burrs, so I won't be grinding lightly roasted hard beans in it. There are members here who have a had their 800's and 820's for a few years and most seem to be happy with them.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by skidquinn View Post
    Hi mate. I've just gone through this process and ended up on a Lido 3.
    I've had cheaper sunbeam grinders in the past (from memory cost me ~$200 new). The result doesn't come close to how good the coffee is out of the Lido 3.
    I wasn't overly keen on the manual grinder thing as well, but it isn't as bad as I expected. The Lido is quick (ie. 45 seconds for 21 grams), quiet and doesn't have to sit on your bench.
    Honestly, for a very similar price point, they are worlds apart.
    Ok thanks mate.

    What's the life span of the burrs that grind the coffee on these manual grinders? Can they ever be sharpened?

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,864
    If not a Lido, then maybe a used Lelit stepless grinder would be the best bet, or perhaps an Isomac Granmacinino or similar. Far better build quality than an appliance grinder and will last for ages...

    Mal.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    If not a Lido, then maybe a used Lelit stepless grinder would be the best bet, or perhaps an Isomac Granmacinino or similar. Far better build quality than an appliance grinder and will last for ages...

    Mal.
    Hey thanks Mal.

    I wouldn't mind a good seeing hand grinder - problem is I don't know anything about grinders which ones are good and which ones are not and what brands and how to check their condition etc.... I'm also in perth which limits my options a bit.

    Any advice when looking at second hand grinders?

    Cheers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Hi Adam,
    Breville and Sunbeam burr grinders can do a decent job for manual brewing inc pourover, aeropress and cold brew.
    For your espresso machine I would also suggest a step up - either a new Lido or a pre-loved M2M, Lelit, K3, etc.
    If you're ok with a work out, Lido is definitely the way to go for great grind quality.
    Cheers, Paul
    See here: https://sites.google.com/site/thekbe...native-brewing
    Hey Paul.
    Thanks for the info mate. That's really helpful. I'll keep an eye out for a pre loved Lelit out K3 etc.

    Otherwise if I have no luck then I will look at the Lido.
    Cheers
    Dimal and kbc like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,633
    The Lido really isn't a work out either. As well as being quick, the ergonomics are fantastic.....I'm using a Lido E-T exclusively while overseas, making 4-5 cups a day and it really is a doddle. And the grind quality is fantastic.
    TC likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    If you prefer the electic option, you could have a look at the Breville BCG600SIL . It's a simpler, cheaper version of the Smart Grinder. Same mechanicals as the BCG820, but with a basic timer. I use a hand grinder for my usual "coffee for one", but I get the Breville out when I need to make several cups for family or friends.

    I have no illusions about the quality or longevity, but if I only use it once or twice a month for five or six doubles, I figure it should last fairly well. Their weak point seems to be the plastic gears driving the burrs, so I won't be grinding lightly roasted hard beans in it. There are members here who have a had their 800's and 820's for a few years and most seem to be happy with them.
    BCG600 has a lower power motor than the 820.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    The Lido really isn't a work out either. As well as being quick, the ergonomics are fantastic.....I'm using a Lido E-T exclusively while overseas, making 4-5 cups a day and it really is a doddle. And the grind quality is fantastic.
    Thanks Barry.

    So aside from the fact that the hands grinding with the Lido is quick and easy... you are saying that the grind quality is great? In other words better than the $300 sunbeam or breville options?

    Thanks for clarifying.

    Cheers.
    Adam

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dandenongs
    Posts
    632
    the lido can be taken anywhere. it's very versatile.
    Havent tried a breville, but it's streets ahead of the Sunbeam. and you won't replace it, cause it won't break.

    The grind quality of the Lido, for it's price, is great. comparable / better than grinders of twice the price.
    DesigningByCoffee likes this.

  12. #12
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    Second the above.
    The 'locals' are probably sick of hearing it from me - Lido grind quality is on par with a Robur.
    Enough said!
    kbc likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam76 View Post
    Thanks Barry.

    So aside from the fact that the hands grinding with the Lido is quick and easy... you are saying that the grind quality is great? In other words better than the $300 sunbeam or breville options?

    Thanks for clarifying.

    Cheers.
    Adam
    Yes, as per the two replies above, the Lido grind quality is streets ahead of the Sunbeam/Breville options. For the first couple of days that you use the Lido it can be a little 'messy' as there is a fair bit of static attracting the grinds to the burrs, but that issue goes away after a little 'seasoning' (i.e. use).

  14. #14
    Guest
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    461
    Not sure of your quality expectations but maybe borrow a hario skerton and see if it's good enough. Quarter the price of Lido but definitely not quarter the quality.

    I managed to choke my 920 last night on some fresh columbian decaf so at least you know it can grind fine enough, though not necessarily as consistent as a Lido.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    184
    Why don't you just empty the compak?
    Serious question.
    Low volume home use is perfect for only grinding what you need at a time.
    That's what I'd do.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    17
    I'll second that.
    A Compak K3 is good for grinding a single serve.
    Leave the beans in the sealed bag they came in. Take out and grind just what you need.
    For me it's made easier by the beans being about the same volume as the ground coffee. So I just fill the mokapot basket with beans, tip them in the grinder, grind them, and out the bottom comes a mokapot basket worth of ground coffee.
    Couldn't be easier. Can have a variety of single origins on the go at once.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjwhite View Post
    I'll second that.
    A Compak K3 is good for grinding a single serve.
    Leave the beans in the sealed bag they came in. Take out and grind just what you need.
    For me it's made easier by the beans being about the same volume as the ground coffee. So I just fill the mokapot basket with beans, tip them in the grinder, grind them, and out the bottom comes a mokapot basket worth of ground coffee.
    Couldn't be easier. Can have a variety of single origins on the go at once.
    Yeah thanks guys. That's actually not such a bad idea. A little more fuss but not much really when you think about it.
    Actually solves my problem and leaves $300 in my wallet!!

    Thanks.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •