Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 301 to 343 of 343
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: Niche Zero Coffee Grinder

  1. #301
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    301
    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Early January delivery for mine. Ended up AUD990.06 delivered which is still an amazing price for what you get.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  2. #302
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Altiplano View Post
    Perfect - appreciate the feedback. I was after a ballpark sense and you hit the nail on the head.

    I haven't really been following the Niche Zero as it's been a recent discovery for me.
    Without wishing to derail the thread, anyone care to explain why they've chosen this over what they currently have?
    - I think it's still relevant to talk about pros/cons...

    For what it's worth, I'm cross shopping the Eureak Atom/Mignon Perfetto.
    I was looking at the Mignon to match the new Lelit Mara the missus just bought me (replacing the Sylvia and Breville Smart grinder I've been using for years now). After reading a few testimonials and Dave Corbey's review I think I'm nearly sold on the Niche though

  3. #303
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
    I was looking at the Mignon to match the new Lelit Mara the missus just bought me (replacing the Sylvia and Breville Smart grinder I've been using for years now). After reading a few testimonials and Dave Corbey's review I think I'm nearly sold on the Niche though
    The Niche is such a good grinder for dialling in recipes, for keeping coffee fresh, for not wasting half a bag in purging after adjustments, ect ect. The only down side I've found is making back to back coffees can be a bit slower. If you pre weigh your beans ready to go, and don't stress about measuring the output, just trust the grinder will give you what you put in, the work flow is fine. I still love my Mythos 1, but if I was looking for a new grinder unless it was a Mythos 2, I'd struggle to go past the Niche. The Niche is everything it's cracked up to be, so far at least. I feel mine is getting better too, I've got about 3-4kg through it now.

  4. #304
    Junior Member randyr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
    I was looking at the Mignon to match the new Lelit Mara the missus just bought me (replacing the Sylvia and Breville Smart grinder I've been using for years now). After reading a few testimonials and Dave Corbey's review I think I'm nearly sold on the Niche though
    I've had a Mara for a few months now and I love it. I also have a Niche due to be delivered sometime this month.
    simulacrum likes this.

  5. #305
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    367
    8 Weeks in with the Niche and yes its grind has improved - if that is possible as the starting point for me was a remarkable improvement in workflow and grind consistency over the mini e. No regrets at all. As mentioned elsewhere popping beans during grinding can case shards to find their way onto the workbench, currently and temporarily, I am using the cut off top of a paper cup (think of egg rings shape) that very snuggly fits between the lid and the bean entry chute and forms a loose seal when the lid is down - this has stopped escaping shards. Still very impressed with the Niche and actually enjoy using it!
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  6. #306
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    8 Weeks in with the Niche and yes its grind has improved - if that is possible as the starting point for me was a remarkable improvement in workflow and grind consistency over the mini e. No regrets at all. As mentioned elsewhere popping beans during grinding can case shards to find their way onto the workbench, currently and temporarily, I am using the cut off top of a paper cup (think of egg rings shape) that very snuggly fits between the lid and the bean entry chute and forms a loose seal when the lid is down - this has stopped escaping shards. Still very impressed with the Niche and actually enjoy using it!
    Hi cool idea, do you have a photo at all?

  7. #307
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    367
    Will post piccies on the weekend.

  8. #308
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    fairly static
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere popping beans during grinding can case shards to find their way onto the workbench
    I have not seen that. Quality control? Design refinement between the first and second batches? Fewer beans in the hopper on my part? Different beans? I see occasional fragments hitting the roof but nothing has worked its way outside the chamber so far.

  9. #309
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    popping beans during grinding can case shards to find their way onto the workbench
    I have this occasionally, and put it down to my fine grind setting increasing the distance between the silver ring and the cover allowing the shards to escape...... not a biggie for me.

    It is pretty sad, but do I get much enjoyment when .....the occasional recalcitrant bean pops about just refusing to succumb to the inevitable ...... Yes, I need to get out more !
    Jono_Willmer, simonsk8r and noonar like this.

  10. #310
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    fairly static
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder55 View Post
    put it down to my fine grind setting increasing the distance between the silver ring and the cover allowing the shards to escape...... !
    What grind setting are you using? Mine is on 15 for the current beans.

  11. #311
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    367
    20, 21, 22 for me. It would choke the R58 on 15 methinks (running at 6.5bar), I get a 40s slow starting, oozy pull at the 20-21 setting, 18g in, 18g VST, 36ish out, 40sec, naked sculptures just about every time. Consistent to such an extent if I think I have mad a mistake during prep (distracted or whatever) I can accurately predict where the lopsidedness will show up first during the pull.

  12. #312
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by beensean View Post
    What grind setting are you using? Mine is on 15 for the current beans.
    I am down at 3 for 13g grind in 15g basket, 27 second pour.

  13. #313
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    54
    Have you guys calibrated the grinder settings according to the niche video? I am around 21-23 mark always.
    noonar likes this.

  14. #314
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    The Niche is such a good grinder for dialling in recipes, for keeping coffee fresh, for not wasting half a bag in purging after adjustments, ect ect. The only down side I've found is making back to back coffees can be a bit slower. If you pre weigh your beans ready to go, and don't stress about measuring the output, just trust the grinder will give you what you put in, the work flow is fine. I still love my Mythos 1, but if I was looking for a new grinder unless it was a Mythos 2, I'd struggle to go past the Niche. The Niche is everything it's cracked up to be, so far at least. I feel mine is getting better too, I've got about 3-4kg through it now.
    Alright I'm sold.. time to figure out what colour I want
    Jono_Willmer, Janus and beensean like this.

  15. #315
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by justacuppa View Post
    Have you guys calibrated the grinder settings according to the niche video? I am around 21-23 mark always.
    Calibrated mine after one weeks use (20shots). Time to do it again - soon.

  16. #316
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    fairly static
    Posts
    123
    Typically mine has used settings 18-20. The current reduction is, I think, peculiar to some current beans which I have not had before. If it stays below 20 for others then I will check calibration.

  17. #317
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by justacuppa View Post
    Have you guys calibrated the grinder settings according to the niche video? I am around 21-23 mark always.
    Yes first thing I did on getting the grinder, will do it again this pm and see if it makes a difference

    Just re-calibrated, now at around 4, made little difference
    Last edited by Downunder55; 1 Week Ago at 02:00 PM.

  18. #318
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    724
    Calibration..... it’s only a number relative to you and yours. My “2 fingers tight” may be nothing like yours. I haven’t calibrated mine as though it arrived yesterday and has seen the light of day, it has been placed back in its cocoon until the “big man in the red suit” drops it in my lap....... :-)

    SM
    Jono_Willmer and topshot like this.

  19. #319
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggers View Post
    I second that review in every way... could not be happier with mine and given the cost vs performance of the Niche vs more expensive grinders it is a winner on every front.

    Go on.. you won't regret it.
    Care to weight in on the noise? I saw you got rid of your Atom (I can't believe I missed that!!!!)
    - New grinder purchase will go far smoother if the partner acceptance factor is high

  20. #320
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Mono View Post
    ......it has been placed back in its cocoon until the ďbig man in the red suitĒ drops it in my lap....... :-)SM
    That's 16 sleeps ......too many for a great grinder to be left unused !

    Suggest you re think your very flawed strategy, remove the Niche .........but repack the lovely wooden handled grind chute brush .......let Santa give you this lovely present instead

  21. #321
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Altiplano View Post
    Care to weight in on the noise?
    I was interested in this too, as our bedroom is quite close to the kitchen. My impression is the Niche is pretty quiet, and I am happy to use when "The Boss" is still asleep.

    Used an iPhone App so maybe not accurate, but the relative numbers are interesting:
    General Background level: 30dB
    With Espresso Machine on: 38db (has a small fan)
    Niche grinding beans: 67dB
    Making Espresso: 60dB
    Tap running into SS sink: 67dB
    Boiling a kettle (peak): 62dB
    The Niche makes a low rumbling sound as it grinds, it is not a shriek or a piercing sound.

  22. #322
    Senior Member topshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Currans Hill, NSW
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder55 View Post
    I was interested in this too, as our bedroom is quite close to the kitchen. My impression is the Niche is pretty quiet, and I am happy to use when "The Boss" is still asleep.

    Used an iPhone App so maybe not accurate, but the relative numbers are interesting:
    General Background level: 30dB
    With Espresso Machine on: 38db (has a small fan)
    Niche grinding beans: 67dB
    Making Espresso: 60dB
    Tap running into SS sink: 67dB
    Boiling a kettle (peak): 62dB
    The Niche makes a low rumbling sound as it grinds, it is not a shriek or a piercing sound.
    It makes less noise than some hand grinders I have!
    It's seems quieter than a Compak K10 while actually grinding, could be due the the low frequency "rumbling" noise as Downunder55 said.

  23. #323
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    fairly static
    Posts
    123
    Not measured, but definitely both quieter and lower pitched than a Rancilio Rocky.

  24. #324
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder55 View Post
    That's 16 sleeps ......too many for a great grinder to be left unused !

    Suggest you re think your very flawed strategy, remove the Niche .........but repack the lovely wooden handled grind chute brush .......let Santa give you this lovely present instead
    Now that is thinking outside of the square....... but Iíll hang in there. Iím still using my M4D so I am not without a grinder. Now if I was the Niche would be on the bench and dialled in the first night at home.
    Jono_Willmer likes this.

  25. #325
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
    Alright I'm sold.. time to figure out what colour I want
    I can't help you with that, but I have been using the Atom this weekend, but the way my dad has it setup he grinds into a cup anyway, so it's a no brainer the Niche would be better in this situation. The size of the Niche is small so whatever colour you choose it isn't going to dominate your kitchen.
    simulacrum likes this.

  26. #326
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder55 View Post
    I was interested in this too, as our bedroom is quite close to the kitchen. My impression is the Niche is pretty quiet, and I am happy to use when "The Boss" is still asleep.

    Used an iPhone App so maybe not accurate, but the relative numbers are interesting:
    General Background level: 30dB
    With Espresso Machine on: 38db (has a small fan)
    Niche grinding beans: 67dB
    Making Espresso: 60dB
    Tap running into SS sink: 67dB
    Boiling a kettle (peak): 62dB
    The Niche makes a low rumbling sound as it grinds, it is not a shriek or a piercing sound.
    This is so so helpful. Thanks!!!

    Honestly, the only thing holding me back now is just my personal preference for a more industrial look. I can't process the small appliance look of the Niche.
    DaveC's review is great - it's an ideal breakdown. You couldn't ask for better marketing material huh..

  27. #327
    Senior Member topshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Currans Hill, NSW
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Altiplano View Post
    This is so so helpful. Thanks!!!

    Honestly, the only thing holding me back now is just my personal preference for a more industrial look. I can't process the small appliance look of the Niche.
    DaveC's review is great - it's an ideal breakdown. You couldn't ask for better marketing material huh..
    Go for function/performance over looks.
    I have replaced my Compak K10WBC with the niche and couldn't be happier, smaller footprint and equal grind quality.
    Dimal likes this.

  28. #328
    Zee
    Zee is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    29
    How are these things at the coarse end of the scale? For V60 or siphon, foureegsample?

    Z...

  29. #329
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    How are these things at the coarse end of the scale? For V60 or siphon, foureegsample?

    Z...
    DaveC's review had a section on brewed coffee written by a different UK coffeeforum member (see page 9 onwards)
    Zee likes this.

  30. #330
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    So I bit the bullet and put my order in...

    It would be nice to have something to use in the meantime aside from my Sunbeam*. Good things come to those who wait right...

    *It's worse than you could imagine... Yes..
    simulacrum, noonar and Janus like this.

  31. #331
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Altiplano View Post
    So I bit the bullet and put my order in...

    It would be nice to have something to use in the meantime aside from my Sunbeam*. Good things come to those who wait right...

    *It's worse than you could imagine... Yes..
    If you were close enough I could help out with a loan Mazzer Mini e that's not being used at the moment - thanks to the Niche.

  32. #332
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    54
    The wait time is not too bad for delivery in January, and I am sure, like many happy owners here, you won't be disappointed!

    I took a gamble back in september 2017, and with the delays, it was well over 12months before it finally arrived. Couldn't be happier! The extra delay for a well-designed and excuted project was totally worth it and restore my faith in crowd-funded projects after having backed a few failed/poorly delivered projects before.
    Last edited by justacuppa; 4 Days Ago at 08:37 PM.
    Jono_Willmer and CafeLotta like this.

  33. #333
    Senior Member topshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Currans Hill, NSW
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    How are these things at the coarse end of the scale? For V60 or siphon, foureegsample?

    Z...
    They are great, we use ours for V60 & Aeropress when not using it for espresso.

    It does a very consistent course grind.

  34. #334
    Zee
    Zee is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
    DaveC's review had a section on brewed coffee written by a different UK coffeeforum member (see page 9 onwards)
    I missed that somehow - cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    They are great, we use ours for V60 & Aeropress when not using it for espresso.
    Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post

    It does a very consistent course grind.


    Excellent - looks like just the ticket switching between beans on V60's.

    Z...
    simulacrum likes this.

  35. #335
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Altiplano View Post
    So I bit the bullet and put my order in...

    It would be nice to have something to use in the meantime aside from my Sunbeam*. Good things come to those who wait right...

    *It's worse than you could imagine... Yes..
    Same - pulled the trigger a couple of days ago.. all the positive feedback here was the last straw. Now trying to get the best out of my new lelit mara with my old breville grinder while i wait for Jan delivery >_<

  36. #336
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Inner West Sydney
    Posts
    301
    The waiting is the hardest part. Iíve reverted to pour over until the Niche arrives, at which point Iíll resume brewing espresso.

  37. #337
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    If you were close enough I could help out with a loan Mazzer Mini e that's not being used at the moment - thanks to the Niche.
    Wow - that's awfully nice of you!

  38. #338
    Senior Member Jono_Willmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
    Same - pulled the trigger a couple of days ago.. all the positive feedback here was the last straw. Now trying to get the best out of my new lelit mara with my old breville grinder while i wait for Jan delivery >_<
    You'll be blown away by the taste you can extract compared to the Breville grinder.

  39. #339
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    19
    Lots of happy owners, I’m finding I have to keep adjusting it, I’m wasting heaps of beans

  40. #340
    Senior Member topshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Currans Hill, NSW
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianB View Post
    Lots of happy owners, Iím finding I have to keep adjusting it, Iím wasting heaps of beans
    You may have to adjust your distribution and tamping technique, then it should be all good.

  41. #341
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianB View Post
    Lots of happy owners, I’m finding I have to keep adjusting it, I’m wasting heaps of beans

    How far far do you need to adjust each time ie 2-4 marks or 1/2
    are you using decent scale that measure in at least 0.1g increments?

  42. #342
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    fairly static
    Posts
    123
    I have found small changes in bean weight to be reflected in the cup, directly and reliably. This is a capability I did not have before; at least, not with the same simplicity.

  43. #343
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    You may have to adjust your distribution and tamping technique, then it should be all good.
    I dont need to constantly adjust my Sette grinder like I do with the Niche. Same batch of beans used, same dose (weight), same basket, same preperation method, same machine and extraction profile. I dont feel my puck prep is the issue

    One differnce I notice is, I grind a lot finer than what others are, i'm around the 10 mark. This isn't calibration, I need finer grinds than most.
    Last edited by DamianB; 1 Day Ago at 10:54 AM.



Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •