Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Help! Channeling on the Sette

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166

    Help! Channeling on the Sette

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just got a sette 270w, having upgraded from the Vario.
    Im using a cremina with naked pf.
    My old routine was does about 18g, a few taps of the pf and light tamp and polish.
    Channeling was rare and the puck was always dry with no evidence of cracking or channeling.

    The first thing I noticed with the sette is the grinds are much more fluffy than the vario - this should be a good thing right?
    The previous user had placed 2 shims so the thing can grind super fine, I have it at 13 - F, any finer and it chokes the cremina.

    Im finding however that i get horrible channel issues when I use my old routine.
    The surface of the puck is also very uneven after extraction which i find bizarre??
    Im really hoping its not an issue with the grinder but rather that I just need to do something different.

    Could fellow users of the sette give some suggestions on dosing and tamping technique?
    What I will try for my next morning cup is to grind coarser and tamp harder to hopefully minimise channeling.

    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member JMcCee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Morningtom Peninsula
    Posts
    298
    How long do you preinfuse? My suggestion is no tamp just polish and preinfuse longer. Or just preinfuse longer-

    Lets know how you go

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166
    i pre-infuse for about 10-15 seconds. Ok thanks ill try that jmccee.

  4. #4
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,081
    18g sounds like a big dose for the Cremina. I dose ~ 14g on mine with a 10 sec pre-infuse. I don't have a Sette.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynton87 View Post
    Im finding however that i get horrible channel issues when I use my old routine.
    what issues exactly? are you sure they are due to channelling?

  6. #6
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,081
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    18g sounds like a big dose for the Cremina. I dose ~ 14g on mine with a 10 sec pre-infuse. I don't have a Sette.
    Further to my previous post, there are a few discussions on the dosing of the Cremina. Check this out:

    https://www.home-barista.com/levers/...t40696-10.html
    CoffeeGeek - Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines, Olympia Cremina potential problem

    I also grind fine and tamp lightly.

  7. #7
    Member mipl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Terrey Hills, NSW
    Posts
    47
    Hi

    I recently upgraded to a Sette 270 without the W. My settings are 7 - F, I grind 14 gr in 6.6 seconds into a single basket and the coffee I get out of my machine is really good. I am not super experienced but I reckon there are a lot of variables to consider in order to get the best out of your equipment.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hobart TAS
    Posts
    278
    If 18g is at high end of dose for Cremina (depending on which basket you are using) and you have an uneven surface on the puck, have you checked clearance to the shower screen with the coin test?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Otago View Post
    If 18g is at high end of dose for Cremina (depending on which basket you are using) and you have an uneven surface on the puck, have you checked clearance to the shower screen with the coin test?
    Yes, Ive had my cremina for the last 7 years so im very familiar with the amount of head room, the only variable of recent is the change in grinder, i was pulling great shots with my old vario, flat dry puck

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166
    im using the elektra double basket, my sette actually says '20g', but im not sure how accurate the scale is - ive heard vibration of the pf puts it out a bit. But 20g fills the basket without touching the shower screen.
    Last edited by Wynton87; 4th July 2018 at 12:03 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by saeco_user View Post
    what issues exactly? are you sure they are due to channelling?
    i have a naked pf so i can see dead spots and the stream doesnt form a nice single stream, usually I have 2-3 wheat coloured streams and blind spots, its just sad. Then the pick is all rippled and unever after extraction which ive never come across in the last 7 years of daily espresso making

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus View Post
    Further to my previous post, there are a few discussions on the dosing of the Cremina. Check this out:

    https://www.home-barista.com/levers/...t40696-10.html
    CoffeeGeek - Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines, Olympia Cremina potential problem

    I also grind fine and tamp lightly.
    thanks flynnaus, ive read those posts a few years back when getting used to my cremina, I might have to re-visit, im impressed by the fluffy-ness of the grinds with the sette, so if i cant find the right dose and grind i think the upgrade will pay off, i guess i just feel like ive suddenly gone back to noob days. Thanks for the reminders though.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynton87 View Post
    Just got a sette 270w, having upgraded from the Vario.
    Im using a cremina with naked pf.
    G'day Wynton87

    FYI, I have three Varios and have set up 6 or 7 friend's Settes (plus a mob of other grinders over the years). For the Turkish to espresso range using the standard ceramic burrs the Vario to Sette comparison is pretty invidious - the Vario wins hands down (i.e. not a close contest at all). Test machines ranged from SB6910, 2 group La Pavoni and LM Linea - they all show the same difference clearly.

    For coarser grinds the Sette is good to the point that I nearly bought one - although all the Settes I tried are pretty noisy* (banned from the main house, like 50% of my gear). Then I helped a fellow CS'r and he gave me a set of $30ish optional steel burrs for my Varios. Result: way better at coarser grinds compared to the Sette, however the steel burrs are totally useless for espresso - hence I bought another Vario for coarser coffee grinds (i.e. summer's cold drip / steep and my modded "stirrer plunger").

    I don't know who told you the Sette was a step up for espresso, however IMO it is a pretty big step down and the Cremina** will really show that up.

    My two cents worth - sorry to be the bearer of bad news.


    TampIt

    *noise: I believe via CS:"artman" that the new Settes are a lot quieter - he is on his second one. My own setup / testing was about a year ago. YMMV on noise.
    **Cremina: My fave manual lever, I used to have an Electra manual lever "pre nasty divorce". Better at showing grinder differences (and better coffee for that matter) than the gear I was using.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    G'day Wynton87

    FYI, I have three Varios and have set up 6 or 7 friend's Settes (plus a mob of other grinders over the years). For the Turkish to espresso range using the standard ceramic burrs the Vario to Sette comparison is pretty invidious - the Vario wins hands down (i.e. not a close contest at all). Test machines ranged from SB6910, 2 group La Pavoni and LM Linea - they all show the same difference clearly.

    For coarser grinds the Sette is good to the point that I nearly bought one - although all the Settes I tried are pretty noisy* (banned from the main house, like 50% of my gear). Then I helped a fellow CS'r and he gave me a set of $30ish optional steel burrs for my Varios. Result: way better at coarser grinds compared to the Sette, however the steel burrs are totally useless for espresso - hence I bought another Vario for coarser coffee grinds (i.e. summer's cold drip / steep and my modded "stirrer plunger").

    I don't know who told you the Sette was a step up for espresso, however IMO it is a pretty big step down and the Cremina** will really show that up.

    My two cents worth - sorry to be the bearer of bad news.


    TampIt

    *noise: I believe via CS:"artman" that the new Settes are a lot quieter - he is on his second one. My own setup / testing was about a year ago. YMMV on noise.
    **Cremina: My fave manual lever, I used to have an Electra manual lever "pre nasty divorce". Better at showing grinder differences (and better coffee for that matter) than the gear I was using.
    Oh man... hopefully I can flip the thing.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    100
    Have you tried a coffee distribution tool? The spinny thingy???
    I found this helped

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    166
    All good guys, followed some suggestions from a guy that owns the sette and a cremina, found that grinding fine and dosing less cured the issue, getting flavours i never got with my vario now.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •