Results 1 to 43 of 43
Like Tree39Likes
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By wattgn
  • 1 Post By wattgn
  • 1 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By saeco_user
  • 2 Post By level3ninja
  • 3 Post By rusty888
  • 1 Post By VBMJuniorHX
  • 3 Post By Caffeinator
  • 1 Post By wattgn
  • 4 Post By MorganGT
  • 1 Post By Caffeinator
  • 1 Post By MorganGT
  • 2 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By VBMJuniorHX
  • 4 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 1 Post By VBMJuniorHX
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 2 Post By Dimal

Thread: Grinder Help! Eureka zenith 65e, Compak E5, or 5yo Mythos one

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29

    Grinder Help! Eureka zenith 65e, Compak E5, or 5yo Mythos one

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

    ive spent waaaayyy too much time on google researching my next grinder. Currently have a k3 push, which has worked tirelessly for us. Itís just so slow and Iím wanting to stream line the process a little. Currently measuring out 22g of beans for a 20g shot, doing a purge and then waiting 18 seconds for the shot. Next morning Iíll purge any old beans from the day before and repeat.

    Im looking at something around $1000 or just over. As Iím single dosing I want something that wonít popcorn (well as best as possible), minimal grind retention, fast and preset buttons. The way I can use a scoop that roughly takes around 22g of beans and dump it in the grinder push a button and 6-8 seconds later voila!

    Ive narrowed down to:
    Eureka zenith 65e
    Compak E5

    A Mythos one is available around the same price but not sure about being fit for purpose based on the above. Also read a little about popcorning but then someone said they donít get it so donít know what to believe! Iíve heard retention might not be the best either?!?

    any comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciate!!

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,122
    The Niche Zero fits squarely into that category...

    Mal.
    level3ninja and Caffeinator like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    The Niche Zero fits squarely into that category...

    Mal.
    If you are set on single dosing then the Niche Zero or the Eureka Mignon Specialita would be good.
    Dimal likes this.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    I think the biggest issue with the niche is grind time and with popcorning can take close to 20 seconds from what I’ve read?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by VBMJuniorHX View Post
    I think the biggest issue with the niche is grind time and with popcorning can take close to 20 seconds from what I’ve read?
    Just spend 4k on the Kafetek Monolith, it will do the job.
    Dimal likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member flashpixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    277
    Buy the Eureka Atom in Coffee Hardware for Sale

    https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...nder-sale.html

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,201
    You could just buy four or five grinders then sell the ones you don't want to one of us.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,058
    Quote Originally Posted by VBMJuniorHX View Post
    I think the biggest issue with the niche is grind time and with popcorning can take close to 20 seconds from what Iíve read?

    20 seconds is hardly a lifetime.
    Erimus likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    260
    Baratza Sette 270wi. Very Fast. Minimal grind retention. Noisy.
    yojabbajabba likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by VBMJuniorHX View Post
    I think the biggest issue with the niche is grind time and with popcorning can take close to 20 seconds from what I’ve read?
    That would be the ballpark, yes. However overall it is much faster than a grinder you're purging and then weighing the dose after. With the Niche it's weigh, tip into grinder, flip switch, stir and tip into portafilter. It's fairly streamlined as far as single dosing goes. It's slower than full hopper timed dosing, but for single dosing it's pretty quick. If you want faster single dosing look at an EK43 or Eureka Atom 65 or 75 (with Blow Up system)
    Dimal and yojabbajabba like this.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    Thanks for the replies. Ninja I’m struggling to find the atom 65/75 for purchase?!?

    has anyone had experience with the grinders I’m looking at and potentially the problems I’ve mentioned???

    i think I’m leaning away from the Compak the more I read. Eureka as a brand and build quality seems to come out on top. So question is more about eureka or second hand Mythos one.

  12. #12
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,664
    I don't know that any Australian shops are selling the 75 yet. Here's the 65, may want to ask them about the Blow Up system.

    https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...-atom-65-black

    From what I've read the Mythos 1 tend to need some bean weight in the hopper for best results, so not sure how well they'd go for single dosing.

  13. #13
    Senior Member rusty888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    250
    I have an atom. I donít think itís fit for purpose for single dosing for you. Perhaps the same with e5 which is what I was looking at getting against the atom.

    If your single dosing the Niche is the only one around that price.
    Dimal, flashpixx and Caffeinator like this.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    I have an atom. I don’t think it’s fit for purpose for single dosing for you. Perhaps the same with e5 which is what I was looking at getting against the atom.

    If your single dosing the Niche is the only one around that price.
    thanks rusty. Out of curiosity what do you think the main issues with the atom are for single dosing? is it just the atom you have or specialty 65/75?

  15. #15
    Senior Member rusty888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    250
    The chrome atom.

    Itís retention due to the chute design. Even blowing it through would just be painful and the popcorning it has.

    The grinder needs 150g at least always pushing down.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    I think I need to accept having between 150-250 in the hopper at all times. Surely everyone with a decent grinder here would be making the same compromise at home? Otherwise why have grinders with timers and use it for single dosing. You would just get popcorning and never actually grind through your weighed out beans.

    So so now my question is eureka zenith 65e or used 5yo Mythos one
    yojabbajabba likes this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    296
    1. Can you blind taste popcorning in the cup? Dose, pour rate and length being identical. (Or is it just a head full of internet?)
    2. Ask your local tech about how much he enjoys servicing a Mythos One
    3. If you want to single dose, I agree with the others. Buy a Niche.
    Dimal, Yelta and flashpixx like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member rusty888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    1. Can you blind taste popcorning in the cup? Dose, pour rate and length being identical. (Or is it just a head full of internet?)
    2. Ask your local tech abut how much he enjoys servicing a Mythos One.
    Iíve never susbscribed to popcorning affecting taste. The only thing is time to fill a basket and say like the atom your paying for that feature.

    But if I was to single dose an atom it would take nearly a minute to fill the basket.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,201
    I have the Robur and now the Fillet Mignon Specialita. Satan got me to buy one.

    I like the timer but it is another variable. With the Robur I just fill the basket and tamp, easy and reproducible and quite accurate with practice.

    The Specialita one single doses nicely, it seems so far. I think the Mignon has low retention due to the smaller burrs and steep but short chute. I decided to try the Specialita else I would eventually end up with the Robur...again. If you know what I mean, people naturally go bigger it seems to me.

    When you see dosing reproducibility tests it is always done in quick succession which is misleading and I can volumetrically dose better than a timer can time as it is based on observation.

    Now I will have to sell one of these...I dunno. I bought the Specialita on impulse and I still love the Mazzer Robur as it works so well.

    I think bigger conical burrs still give the grind quality edge and consistency to the Robur but the Specialita is very very good and I haven't made my mind up yet.

    Clumping can be annoying and again the Robur wins in that it seems to produce few clumps whereas the Specialita produces clumps that are broken down into very much smaller clumps using their ACE system.

    The Robur is surprisingly quiet too but the Specialita wins I think here.

    Overall an espresso enthusiast would love either machine but I think ideally for single dosing, it needs to be simple and easy and this Specialita is good for single dosing even though it isn't designed with that in mind. The Robur, no I wouldn't single dose even though the retention is still relatively small, smaller than most people think.

    I would recommend having a look at the Specialita as I think it is better for single dosing than just about any machine on the market except for those especially made for such use, as the Nice Zero is. It is also a lovely grinder in itself. I think for most home users this is the Eureka to get.
    Last edited by wattgn; 1 Week Ago at 02:08 PM.
    Brewster likes this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,664
    If you want to single dose with the Atom (without significant purging) you need to get the Blow Up system as well

  21. #21
    Senior Member flashpixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    The chrome atom.

    It’s retention due to the chute design. Even blowing it through would just be painful and the popcorning it has.

    The grinder needs 150g at least always pushing down.
    I have the Atom 65 Specialty, retention is less than the Atom 60, however for consistent dosing it needs 100g of beans in the hopper.

    The 65 doesn't popcorn, and if you dont mind weighing each dose its a very nice grinder,

    Street price is $1,400 without the Blow-Up system.

    I got mine from DiPacci in Sydney.

    The importer has them in stock I believe, they are Service Sphere (google them). They also have the Blow Up Hoppers.

  22. #22
    Senior Member flashpixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    If you want to single dose with the Atom (without significant purging) you need to get the Blow Up system as well
    While I've not tried the Blow-Up system myself, any actual demonstrations of it suggest it's doesn't work as well as it is marketed for single dosing - you have to pump the lid a few times, and the hopper itself isn't airtight leading to loss off effectiveness of the "blow".

    For end of day purging it seems to work a bit better.

    Having said that, at less than 9 secs for 20g of beans, I dont mind adding 0.3g or removing same with a teaspoon.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinator View Post
    2. Ask your local tech about how much he enjoys servicing a Mythos One
    As a tech, my answer is - not much. Besides the crappy clump crusher, the new fun thing with Mythos Ones is that the relay on the control board that powers the motor is undersized, and eventually burns out, requiring board replacement (unless you have the time to solder on a new relay).
    And they would be terrible for single dosing, as the curved inlet chute between the hopper and the burrs always retains a fair few beans.

  24. #24
    Senior Member rusty888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganGT View Post
    As a tech, my answer is - not much. Besides the crappy clump crusher, the new fun thing with Mythos Ones is that the relay on the control board that powers the motor is undersized, and eventually burns out, requiring board replacement (unless you have the time to solder on a new relay).
    And they would be terrible for single dosing, as the curved inlet chute between the hopper and the burrs always retains a fair few beans.
    Thoughts on the new mythos gravitech. Iím considering one but have heard mixed reviews.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by flashpixx View Post
    While I've not tried the Blow-Up system myself, any actual demonstrations of it suggest it's doesn't work as well as it is marketed for single dosing
    Yep- good concept for weird, suss dolls, lilos and other pump up things, but doesn't turn a grinder designed for commercial purposes into a single dose grinder. If you wants a single dose grinder, best buy one rather than trying to repurpose a commercial grinder and then being dissatisfied.
    Dimal likes this.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    Thoughts on the new mythos gravitech. I’m considering one but have heard mixed reviews.
    Nope. Wouldn't buy one. The very first one we got in stock for a customer who wanted one for his new cafe had endless issues with doses changing randomly and dramatically, randomly not activating etc. and was sent straight back to the supplier before it ever saw the cafe. And I don't think they could fix it either. Have had a few (and heard of a few more) that had similar and other issues, and suddenly nobody wants them anymore, plus I think the boss refuses to source them for customers anymore.
    Dimal likes this.

  27. #27
    Senior Member rusty888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganGT View Post
    Nope. Wouldn't buy one. The very first one we got in stock for a customer who wanted one for his new cafe had endless issues with doses changing randomly and dramatically, randomly not activating etc. and was sent straight back to the supplier before it ever saw the cafe. And I don't think they could fix it either. Have had a few (and heard of a few more) that had similar and other issues, and suddenly nobody wants them anymore, plus I think the boss refuses to source them for customers anymore.
    I had heard the first batch were dodgy. Since then I havenít heard much.

  28. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    sounding more and more like the Eureka Zenith 65e may be the right answer for me. I accept that i will need to load the hopper up with 150-250g, which im fine with as i will go through this in a week or so.

    Unless anyone has any other suggestions based on all the above and this particular selection? has anyone got the Eureka Zenith 65e?

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,201
    Consider the Doser model. You can get one new for $825.

  30. #30
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by VBMJuniorHX View Post
    sounding more and more like the Eureka Zenith 65e may be the right answer for me. I accept that i will need to load the hopper up with 150-250g, which im fine with as i will go through this in a week or so.

    Unless anyone has any other suggestions based on all the above and this particular selection? has anyone got the Eureka Zenith 65e?
    I have one of these, simply its the grinder I have had for the last 2 years and normally by now I have upgraded to something else. I can say this grinder is fantastic. Grind retention isn't too bad (thats aid ive never worried about it). the main thing for me is the consistent grind i get from it. Also should you want to or need to change the grind, the dials on these are super easy to achieve that. It also grinds pretty quick, I currently get 20g out in 8 sec. once again not something i think of or worry about for home use.

    the only thing i didnt like is the big hopper, I under stand this is useful for a Cafe, but for home use, I spent the extra and got the smaller hopper.


    Cant go wrong with one of these in my opinion.

    Cheers,

    Chris
    yojabbajabba and flashpixx like this.

  31. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    I have one of these, simply its the grinder I have had for the last 2 years and normally by now I have upgraded to something else. I can say this grinder is fantastic. Grind retention isn't too bad (thats aid ive never worried about it). the main thing for me is the consistent grind i get from it. Also should you want to or need to change the grind, the dials on these are super easy to achieve that. It also grinds pretty quick, I currently get 20g out in 8 sec. once again not something i think of or worry about for home use.

    the only thing i didnt like is the big hopper, I under stand this is useful for a Cafe, but for home use, I spent the extra and got the smaller hopper.


    Cant go wrong with one of these in my opinion.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    Thanks for the feedback Chris! much appreciated.
    coffeechris likes this.

  32. #32
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    762
    Id be very surprised if you got one and it didn't meet your requirements and or expectations. Never had or used the Compak E5, but im sure its also up there in comparison. Good luck with the grinder buying.

    Chris

  33. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    So to everyone. Does anyone have any other recommendations outside of the Eureka Zenith 65e? for a solid home grinder in the $1200 price range?

  34. #34
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    762
    Just some food for thought and some dont mind, but i prefer a Flat burr grinder over a conical burr grinder. you will find both at this price range and others. just something to think of and look into.

    Chris

  35. #35
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,122
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    just something to think of and look into.
    Best to find a coffee place that use both flat and conical burr grinders, then see if you can taste the difference in the cup between them, using the same beans.

    Mal.

  36. #36
    Senior Member flashpixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Best to find a coffee place that use both flat and conical burr grinders, then see if you can taste the difference in the cup between them, using the same beans.

    Mal.
    not to diminish the topic, but at this price point, is there going to be any perceivable difference? Perhaps if you are comparing grinders at $4k plus??

    As an example a Niche Zero with 63mm conical burrs vs the proposed Eureka Zenith 65e with 65mm flat burrs??

    For my education....

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by VBMJuniorHX View Post
    So to everyone. Does anyone have any other recommendations outside of the Eureka Zenith 65e? for a solid home grinder in the $1200 price range?

    T64 or the ECM equivalent are both very good quality grinders in this class.

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    176
    If you single dose and don't want to get annoyed about wasting grinds the best option is the Niche (under 4k). It has the burrs from the Robur and is very quiet. There is often a 10% off voucher on eBay from a site sponsor so you may pick one up for say $1150.

    I have used the Eureka Atom (the one for sale) and to be honest this is a great grinder but two things are annoying a) wasted grinds due to purging and b) the wasted beans when dialing in different beans.

    While the workflow is different, the Niche is not super fast but I just grind and let it go while I rinse and wipe the portafilter. The only real downside is if you are making multiple coffees back to back it might get annoying having to weigh out beans multiple times.
    Dimal likes this.

  39. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by flashpixx View Post
    not to diminish the topic, but at this price point, is there going to be any perceivable difference? Perhaps if you are comparing grinders at $4k plus??

    As an example a Niche Zero with 63mm conical burrs vs the proposed Eureka Zenith 65e with 65mm flat burrs??

    For my education....
    Fair point. And i've resided to the Niche being too slow for me so looks like my decision is made l0l?!?
    Last edited by VBMJuniorHX; 1 Week Ago at 02:19 PM.
    flashpixx likes this.

  40. #40
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,122
    Quote Originally Posted by flashpixx View Post
    at this price point, is there going to be any perceivable difference? Perhaps if you are comparing grinders at $4k plus??

    As an example a Niche Zero with 63mm conical burrs vs the proposed Eureka [COLOR=#333333]Zenith 65e with 65mm flat burrs??
    There's heaps of pro/con arguments here on CS and elsewhere about this sort of thing and to me, yes I can discern a difference between the two. One is not better than the other, just different. For me, the large conical (name your manufacturer of choice) grinder, broadens out the overall flavour spectrum and makes it easier to identify what some of these flavours are and their prominence in the profile.

    The only real way for anyone to know which they prefer, is to sample a number of coffees (in my case, Long Blacks) made using each grinder burr type, using the same beans right in front of you. Which ever one produces the flavour profile that your palate prefers, is the one to go for...

    Mal.
    Javaphile, CafeLotta and flashpixx like this.

  41. #41
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    There's heaps of pro/con arguments here on CS and elsewhere about this sort of thing and to me, yes I can discern a difference between the two. One is not better than the other, just different. For me, the large conical (name your manufacturer of choice) grinder, broadens out the overall flavour spectrum and makes it easier to identify what some of these flavours are and their prominence in the profile.

    The only real way for anyone to know which they prefer, is to sample a number of coffees (in my case, Long Blacks) made using each grinder burr type, using the same beans right in front of you. Which ever one produces the flavour profile that your palate prefers, is the one to go for...

    Mal.
    I started this conical Vs flat burr and as you said Mel no difference. Trying to pick a difference in flavour no change. I have gone with flat burr only based on the grinder I have had for a small amount of time which was a conical burr I felt didn't give as much crema. Probably not even worth the argument.

    Flavour wise I cannot pick.

    Cheers Chris
    flashpixx likes this.

  42. #42
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,122
    Yep...

    The quality and freshness of the beans you use is waaayyy more important...

    Mal.
    coffeechris and Yelta like this.

  43. #43
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Yep...

    The quality and freshness of the beans you use is waaayyy more important...

    Mal.
    Never made any comparisons having always used a flat burr machine, however I'm sure Mal is on the money, again.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •