Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By roosterben
  • 1 Post By mthomas87
  • 1 Post By roosterben
  • 1 Post By Mono
  • 2 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 3 Post By stippo
  • 1 Post By wattgn
  • 5 Post By stippo

Thread: Much of a sound jump?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    26

    Much of a sound jump?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys,

    Just wondering if the niche zero is much quieter than the compak k3. Currently have the k3 and my wife struggles with its noise levels at 5 am when I get up for work. I love the idea of the niche.. but wondering if I'd get annoyed single dosing because I have never done it before.. maybe safer to get a Eureka atom or ceado e37j of something?

    It's hard to tell the sound differences through YouTube because of the microphones when filming.

    Can anybody share their experiences?

    Thanks!

    I have an expobar minore IV to pair it with.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    15
    They claim 72db for the Niche, which is Quieter than the 74.8db claimed for the K3.

    While the Niche IS quieter, I doubt it could be considered quiet at 5 am...

    Have you considered a quality hand grinder?
    Not gonna get much quieter, and often the grind quality far exceeds that of an electric.

    Just depends if you want to grind by hand?

    Personally Iv been very impressed with the Kinu M47 Simplicity.

  3. #3
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,569
    It's not just the sound pressure level that's important but also which frequencies are loudest.
    The Niche operates at a lower RPM than the K3 so I would expect the most prominent frequencies to be at the lower end of the spectrum and therefore not as annoying...

    Mal.
    Conic likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    284
    Can't tell you definitively but I have owned both the Atom and Niche Zero. The Atom is the quietest grinder I have owned and I have owned and flipped about 15 different grinder models. If noise level is #1 then Atom is hands down the quietest grinder, low RPM, rubber motor mounts, almost silent without beans and very quiet when grinding. Surprisingly I would say the Niche is a close second, the Niche and Atom are super quiet compared to every other grinder I have ever owned. Both would be heaps quieter than a Compak K3, although I have flipped a couple I haven't really used a K3 (never been my daily driver) much and can't recall the noise level.

    On the hand grinder side I have a Commandante C40 and it is quite noisy while grinding so not sure how helpful a it would be as a quiet option.
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by roosterben View Post
    Can't tell you definitively but I have owned both the Atom and Niche Zero. The Atom is the quietest grinder I have owned and I have owned and flipped about 15 different grinder models. If noise level is #1 then Atom is hands down the quietest grinder, low RPM, rubber motor mounts, almost silent without beans and very quiet when grinding. Surprisingly I would say the Niche is a close second, the Niche and Atom are super quiet compared to every other grinder I have ever owned. Both would be heaps quieter than a Compak K3, although I have flipped a couple I haven't really used a K3 (never been my daily driver) much and can't recall the noise level.

    On the hand grinder side I have a Commandante C40 and it is quite noisy while grinding so not sure how helpful a it would be as a quiet option.
    I notice you say "owned" for the Atom and the Niche, what made you change It up? upgraditis? What did you end up with? It looks like most people who own the Niche love it..

    Thanks for the responses guys.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    83
    We have a K3 and a niche at work. The K3 seems much louder but that could mostly be because it's higher pitched. You can hold a conversation with the niche running, less so with the K3. It would probably be even quieter if you put it on a rubber mat or something instead of the wooden feet.

    The Niche is also just a much better grinder in general (as long as you're OK single dosing) than the K3 if that helps your decision.

    FWIW the quietest grinder I've used was the Mythos One.
    Dimal likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by stippo View Post
    I notice you say "owned" for the Atom and the Niche, what made you change It up? upgraditis? What did you end up with? It looks like most people who own the Niche love it..

    Thanks for the responses guys.
    Bit of upgraditis but also changing between beans and dialing in on the Atom got a bit annoying (I used it as my main grinder daily for about 6-8 months). I was single dosing, hopper removed, using a tamper in the funnel to keep some weight on the beans. At the time I was doing some roasting at home and I am always trying different commercial roasted beans as well, so found I was wasting a bit of coffee swapping beans.

    Probably had the Niche for about 6 months and loving it. I will say as others have noticed the flavour profile is perceptively different (but only just and hard to say better/worse). But as a single doser for the price with big conical burrs it is one of my favourite purchases and will be a keeper forever (unless I happen to have 3-4k spare for something boutique in the future). No regrets about parting with the Atom even though it is a superb grinder in its own right.
    Dimal likes this.

  8. #8
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    766
    I have never heard a K3 but comparing my NZ to my previous M4D the difference is substantial. As per the earlier posts it is as much the pitch of the sound as the volume. Was probably going to grab an Atom but then discovered the NZ. Had never single dosed prior, it is a process but it is like distributing and tamping it just becomes routine. Now if I was in a commercial environment or trying to make coffee for twenty guests..... painful but ninety % of the Tim it is one or two cups.
    Dimal likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas87 View Post
    You can hold a conversation with the niche running, less so with the K3. It would probably be even quieter if you put it on a rubber mat or something instead of the wooden feet.
    Have a look under the Niche feet, they are on rubber. The wooden "feet" spin freely even when it's sitting on the bench.
    Dimal and mthomas87 like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by stippo View Post
    Hey guys,

    Just wondering if the niche zero is much quieter than the compak k3. Currently have the k3 and my wife struggles with its noise levels at 5 am when I get up for work. I love the idea of the niche.. but wondering if I'd get annoyed single dosing because I have never done it before.. maybe safer to get a Eureka atom or ceado e37j of something?

    It's hard to tell the sound differences through YouTube because of the microphones when filming.

    Can anybody share their experiences?

    Thanks!

    I have an expobar minore IV to pair it with.
    I used to have an Atom, now have a Niche. In terms of actual volume the Atom is far quieter, but in terms of disturbance the Niche is only about 10% more disturbing due to the low frequency of the noise. If you don't want to single dose get an Atom 65, the only issue with the standard Atom is the retention and purging required, the 65 has 5mm larger burrs but the same size grinding chamber, so far less room to retain stale grounds. I loved my Atom, the only reason I changed is because my wife started having decaf and I started brewing filter more so the ability to switch back and forth made a lot of sense. I still have quite a soft spot for the Atom, before I sold it I did my wife's baby shower with it (~60 people), and it is so consistent providing you keep some beans in the hopper. I wasn't as dutiful in filling it as I should've been, I'd notice a shot ran a bit fast and then check the hopper, added some more beans and back to super consistent shots.
    Dimal likes this.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I used to have an Atom, now have a Niche. In terms of actual volume the Atom is far quieter, but in terms of disturbance the Niche is only about 10% more disturbing due to the low frequency of the noise. If you don't want to single dose get an Atom 65, the only issue with the standard Atom is the retention and purging required, the 65 has 5mm larger burrs but the same size grinding chamber, so far less room to retain stale grounds. I loved my Atom, the only reason I changed is because my wife started having decaf and I started brewing filter more so the ability to switch back and forth made a lot of sense. I still have quite a soft spot for the Atom, before I sold it I did my wife's baby shower with it (~60 people), and it is so consistent providing you keep some beans in the hopper. I wasn't as dutiful in filling it as I should've been, I'd notice a shot ran a bit fast and then check the hopper, added some more beans and back to super consistent shots.

    Now you got me seriously considering the atom 65... So conflicted

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    I used to have an Atom, now have a Niche. In terms of actual volume the Atom is far quieter, but in terms of disturbance the Niche is only about 10% more disturbing due to the low frequency of the noise. If you don't want to single dose get an Atom 65, the only issue with the standard Atom is the retention and purging required, the 65 has 5mm larger burrs but the same size grinding chamber, so far less room to retain stale grounds. I loved my Atom, the only reason I changed is because my wife started having decaf and I started brewing filter more so the ability to switch back and forth made a lot of sense. I still have quite a soft spot for the Atom, before I sold it I did my wife's baby shower with it (~60 people), and it is so consistent providing you keep some beans in the hopper. I wasn't as dutiful in filling it as I should've been, I'd notice a shot ran a bit fast and then check the hopper, added some more beans and back to super consistent shots.


    Well I'm sold. Just went to my local coffee shop who had a niche on display and we had a play and made a piccolo on it. The flavour profile was world's apart from what my k3 can produce and waaaay more quiet. I'll be ordering one this week. Thanks guys
    Dimal, Mono and level3ninja like this.

  13. #13
    Coffee+carbon=heaven Mono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Regional Victoria
    Posts
    766
    Good stuff. Single dosing is not much more fluffing about..... and you know the beans haven’t been sitting in the hopper for x hours....

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,387
    The Atom is a great grinder and you can get it for 900 or so and it is quiet. The Mignon Specialita is also excellent but the Atom is better value for what you get. The Specialita is better for single dosing.

    My 2 cents is single dosing is for the OCD crowd...forget it and just load the hopper up and enjoy your coffee.

    This is one who has a Mazzer Robur and I have never noticed any effect from retention when used on a daily basis. I have also owned a Specialita.
    JohnA likes this.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    26
    IMG_20200130_193630.jpg

    Pulled the trigger..
    Can't wait to dial it in tomorrow!
    So much quieter than the K3...
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Dimal, Mono, noonar and 2 others like this.

  16. #16
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    17,569
    Should be a great combo "stippo"...

    Mal.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •