Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21

    New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello fellow coffee lovers. Im new to the forum, been lurking for a while but now I have a question.

    Im a long term user of the stove top bombs, but am about to embark on the journey of home espresso machinery. Ive chosen the Sunbeam 6910 as my machine. For a grinder I chose the Sunbeam EM0480. I know it has its faults, but its fine for a beginner like me, plus fits my budget.

    The problem is, my supplier is having trouble supplying. They have Breville BCG450s there, at a good price, but I reckon I can get them even better online.

    My question is, considering Im kicking off with a "budget" grinder only, should I wait for the Sunbeam, or pocket 80 clams (difference in price) maybe and see if I can snag a Breville online?? That is, are the faults of the Sunbeam "generic" type faults of the budget grinder range, and is the Breville just as "good"?

    I appreciate your responses.

    Cheers, darky....................

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Darky link=1201254957/0#0 date=1201254957
    Hello fellow coffee lovers. Im new to the forum, been lurking for a while but now I have a question.

    Im a long term user of the stove top bombs, but am about to embark on the journey of home espresso machinery. Ive chosen the Sunbeam 6910 as my machine. For a grinder I chose the Sunbeam EM0480. I know it has its faults, but its fine for a beginner like me, plus fits my budget.

    The problem is, my supplier is having trouble supplying. They have Breville BCG450s there, at a good price, but I reckon I can get them even better online.

    My question is, considering Im kicking off with a "budget" grinder only, should I wait for the Sunbeam, or pocket 80 clams (difference in price) maybe and see if I can snag a Breville online?? That is, are the faults of the Sunbeam "generic" type faults of the budget grinder range, and is the Breville just as "good"?

    I appreciate your responses.

    Cheers, darky....................
    Welcome to CS Darky,

    We say it here all the time but you will soon learn that every dollar you save on a cheap grinder will come back to haunt you with every shot you throw down the drain. Most here would not even consider the Sunbeam as adequate. It makes a good plunger grinder though ;)

    Realistically, you should be spending at least $300...probably much more....

    With grinders, there aint no bargains...You gets what you pays for...The grinder reviews thread is a good place to start: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235531

    Good luck..

    2mcm

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1201254957/0#1 date=1201255458
    Welcome to CS Darky,

    We say it here all the time but you will soon learn that every dollar you save on a cheap grinder will come back to haunt you with every shot you throw down the drain. Most here would not even consider the Sunbeam as adequate. It makes a good plunger grinder though ;)

    Realistically, you should be spending at least $300...probably much more....

    With grinders, there aint no bargains...You gets what you pays for...The grinder reviews thread is a good place to start: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235531

    Good luck..

    2mcm
    Hey Mate, thanks for the reply.

    Youre gunna have to work with me here a little. I cant find "Coffee Budget UsersAU" anywhere, so you may have to dumb it down a little for me (please)........... :D

    Without going into detail, trust me I have a budget which I must stick to. I concede that my coffee may not be as good as some others may brew around these parts, but as with everything else material in life, I have limits on the amount I can spend on it and Im happy within my budget(s).

    Now, back to my query.................. ;)

    I KNOW there are Sunbeam users here, Ive seen you.............. :P Is the Breville of similar budget quality??

    Cheers, darky...............

  4. #4
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Darky,

    Whilst I fully agree with the advice from Chris (buy the BEST you can afford), if you can only stretch the budget to an EM0480, then go for that.

    From reading up on the Breville, it looks like it is passable, but if it was comparable to the Sunbeam, Im sure we would have had a number of people extolling its virtues by now. I would say, spend the bit more and go with the Sunbeam. The issues it has are addressable and when working, it does appear to do the job required.

    I have personally gone through 6 grinders to get to where I am today. Certainly would have been better off starting with my current grinder or even my previous (Rocky), but then again, budgets do not always allow that to happen.

    If you start below a 480, then you will be pushing the proverbial uphill to make decent coffee.

    Hope that helps.

    Brett.

  5. #5
    Senior Member robusto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Its good to have a budget and stick to it. Generally.

    But as 2muchcoffeeman says, with coffee equipment it is likely to be a course to regret when it becomes the overriding concern.

    After all, your goal is good coffee. That is why you are going from the stove top to proper espresso.

    A dictate of that step is the necessity of a good quality grinder. Irrespective of budget constraints, Im afraid.

    It is rather pointless have a coffee machine which can only reach its potential by being matched with a decent grinder... and then offering it up grounds crushed by an inferior device.

    Result: unsatisfactory coffee. Way below expectations. Way below what the coffee machine can produce.

    Buy your Sunbeam grinder now. ...and in no time at all youll find the need to upgrade, and that of course will come at a higher than original cost.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Thanks Guys, I REALLY appreciate your replies.

    That said, it may have been a mistake coming to "this site" and asking for advice on budget grinders.

    Trust me when I say Im pretty lucky to be in a position to be able to upgrade from my stovetop at all. Be assured I have VERY finite resources. If I had more Id spend more.

    This site has been a wonderful resource (as a lurker) in my decision to buy a 6910. For the resources I have, thats the best buy for me.

    Similarly with the EMO480. For a budget grinder the people that use them are happy with their purchases largely. As there actually isnt one available at present, there could be a fair saving for me buying a Breville if theyre of "similar budget quality". And thats my query............... ;)

  7. #7
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Yep, I understand. And my answer is - "No I dont think they are!"

  8. #8
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Darky,

    I have a Sunbeam grinder and it works with the 6910.
    It is the absolute bottom of the range as far as Im concerned.
    Dont risk your money on the Breville.

    You should look for another supplier then for the 0480.



    P.S. You will eventually upgrade. The only question is when. ;D

  9. #9
    Senior Member ozscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    BRISBANE
    Posts
    1,998

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Darky - im sure you will be happy with what you get for the money you spend on that combination. The grinder is almost certainly not going to last as long as some of the more expensive ones, but overall with the combo you will be impressed.

    Cheers

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    81

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Darky link=1201254957/0#5 date=1201259173
    Thanks Guys, I REALLY appreciate your replies.

    That said, it may have been a mistake coming to "this site" and asking for advice on budget grinders.

    Trust me when I say Im pretty lucky to be in a position to be able to upgrade from my stovetop at all. Be assured I have VERY finite resources. If I had more Id spend more.

    This site has been a wonderful resource (as a lurker) in my decision to buy a 6910. For the resources I have, thats the best buy for me.

    Similarly with the EMO480. For a budget grinder the people that use them are happy with their purchases largely. As there actually isnt one available at present, there could be a fair saving for me buying a Breville if theyre of "similar budget quality". And thats my query............... ;)
    Hi,
    Ive been using my current EM0480 for 1 year now, which works very well and only now has been relegated to grinding the occasional decaf. *
    You may get one cheaper if you were able to shop around in person, but online is probably the way to go if you cant. *If you google "Sunbeam EM0480 best price", $179 SEEMS to be the best online price right now.
    If youre patient, you may get a grinder bargain in the price range youre looking for, like the Granmacinino that went for $150 last week, in Coffee Snobs hardware for sale section.
    regards, Phil

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Thankyou all so much for the input.

    Ok, Im sitting on my hands until the Sunbeam arrives then. Theres so little info out there on the Breville that its not worth the risk. At least here (CSs) people are and have used the EMO480 and are prepared to endorse it as good in its price range.

    Stand by for the arrival of the units (unii???) and the ensuing coffee making problems...............

    Cheers, darky....................

  12. #12
    Senior Member bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    294

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    I have a sunbeam 6910 and 0480. This combo makes great coffee that you will be happy with. But I can also agree with some of the posters here - get the best grinder you can afford - it WILL make a difference to your coffee. It really depends on your personality and how obsessive you become about coffee. I have had the 0480 for a month and am making great coffee probably better than most cafes out there (although thats not saying much). However I am also tired of its limitations eg the steps/gradations between grinds isnt fine enough and the coffee sometimes comes out in clumps. It is definitely the bottom of the range but makes a great coffee nonetheless - I cant comment on the Breville but I wouldnt risk my money. Just persevere and wait till you can get the sunbeam. And sometimes its worth trying the big retail stores - I got mine at sale time for $150. The other thing you have to think of is dont make a white elephant out of your 6910! If your grinder isnt good enough you will be having crappy crema-less shots that taste like black water. Food for thought.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    Quote Originally Posted by bennett link=1201254957/0#11 date=1201380714
    I have a sunbeam 6910 and 0480. This combo makes great coffee that you will be happy with. But I can also agree with some of the posters here - get the best grinder you can afford - it WILL make a difference to your coffee. It really depends on your personality and how obsessive you become about coffee. I have had the 0480 for a month and am making great coffee probably better than most cafes out there (although thats not saying much). However I am also tired of its limitations eg the steps/gradations between grinds isnt fine enough and the coffee sometimes comes out in clumps. It is definitely the bottom of the range but makes a great coffee nonetheless - I cant comment on the Breville but I wouldnt risk my money. Just persevere and wait till you can get the sunbeam. And sometimes its worth trying the big retail stores - I got mine at sale time for $150. The other thing you have to think of is dont make a white elephant out of your 6910! If your grinder isnt good enough you will be having crappy crema-less shots that taste like black water. Food for thought.
    Yep, thanks bennett, taken all that on board. Your good self and many other here with limited funds have proven however, theres good coffee to be made with a 6910/0480 combo, which is why I chose them..............

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,562

    Re: New grinder, urgent help reqd pls..........

    the Breville grinder will be useless with the EM6910. Its burr carrier is shocking and not capable of producing a quality grind - Ive investigated the Breville grinder (not for me, but for others) and it will be a big disappointment. The Em0480 has a superior burrset.



Similar Threads

  1. Urgent HELP with Moka Pot!
    By Dandilion in forum Brewing Equipment - Manual Coffee Brewing Processes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 6th November 2011, 09:09 AM
  2. URGENT LONDON
    By t3bcx3 in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th March 2009, 07:34 PM
  3. Reqd help with unknown Rancilio model
    By short_black_fella in forum Brewing Equipment - Extreme Machines ($3000+)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15th May 2008, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •