Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: conical vs flat

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36

    conical vs flat

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I am a beginner and would like to know if it important for me to get a grinder with flat burs as opposed to conical?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ozscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    BRISBANE
    Posts
    1,998

    Re: conical vs flat

    Hi mate - glad your on board. You will need to post this question in the Grinders section, as this is for hardware for sale by members.

    What is your budget for the grinder? That will help. At the lower end of the market there are quite a few conicals now, but most of the middle and upper level grinders are flat burr...and then the worlds best grinder is back to conical at the top of the tree - Mazzer Robur (if you have $4k or so to spend on that :)) - but your talking the same type of grinder in name only comparing $300 and sub conicals with the Robur...

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: conical vs flat

    Hi slippyfist and welcome to coffeesnobs....

    Good question but not an easy answer.... that answer being very $$$$$ dependant!

    The cheapest grinders have flat burrs... actually not burrs but bits of pressed metal with bumps which pound the beans into submission!! Krups and other manufacturers make these - stay away....

    Next up the ladder come the conicals, em0450, em0480, Ibertial etc..... these are the entry level grinders for espresso..... of this bunch Id recommend the Iberital at about $300...... definitely far better than the flat above!!

    In the next price bracket you go back to well made flat burr grinders ($600 upwards).... the likes of the Mazzer and Macap..... much better grind than the conicals above....

    And for the ultimate you again go back to conical grinders.... like the Mazzer Robur!! Mega expensive but fantastic grind quality.... the burrs in these are nothing like the burrs in the Iberital.... and neither is the burr holder etc.... these are quality grinders of the highest order!

    So depending how much you are willing to spend.... it could be either conical or flat.... but budget on about $300 for the grinder if possible.... and that will get you a reasonable conical..... but if your budget goes to >$600 you will get an excellent flat burr grinder......

    But dont buy the cheapie grinders.... nothing less than an em0450..... and more if you can afford it!!


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: conical vs flat

    $4k? more like $2700 only.

    For 4k you can get the doserless robur.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1210487170/0#3 date=1210490057
    $4k? more like $2700 only.

    For 4k you can get the doserless robur.
    Or $2200 if you shop around.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by slippyfist link=1210487170/0#0 date=1210487170
    I am a beginner and would like to know if it important for me to get a grinder with flat burs as opposed to conical?
    Because I only make esspresso and use one grind setting give or take small adjustments
    I found the Iberital challenge is perfect for my needs
    My grinder is a doser model and can be purchased for around $280 to $300
    It uses the same conical burr the lux and sunbeam use but its cassing is solid made with steel sheet weight 5kg

    sf
    See this thred for reviews by mostly owners of the grinders
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235531

  7. #7
    Senior Member ozscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    BRISBANE
    Posts
    1,998

    Re: conical vs flat

    didnt know the Robur was getting that cheap - a buy it now price on evil bay is $2990...

  8. #8
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by ozscott link=1210487170/0#6 date=1210496602
    didnt know the Robur was getting that cheap - a buy it now price on evil bay is $2990...
    Makes the K10 WBC seem like an absolute bargain, no? 8-)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: conical vs flat

    Why do you think I bought one earlier this year ;)

    By the way Chris, I modified my K10 to have metal forks now. Feel free to have a look

  10. #10
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1210487170/0#8 date=1210503947
    Why do you think I bought one earlier this year ;)

    By the way Chris, I modified my K10 to have metal forks now. Feel free to have a look
    :o I WANT A METAL FORK!

    How did you get hold of them Dave?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210487170/0#9 date=1210504053
    Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1210487170/0#8 date=1210503947
    Why do you think I bought one earlier this year ;)

    By the way Chris, I modified my K10 to have metal forks now. Feel free to have a look
    :o I WANT A METAL FORK!

    How did you get hold of them Dave?

    I WANT A K10!!!

  12. #12
    cremakid
    Guest

    Re: conical vs flat

    The 60mm flat burrs of the Cunill range are not what one would call cheapies, they are top quality and will grind consistently and last as long as many other "non-cheapies". So starting with the Tranquilo at around $395 there is no need to spend $600 if the burrs are the main issue. IMHO.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1210487170/0#10 date=1210509856
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210487170/0#9 date=1210504053
    Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1210487170/0#8 date=1210503947
    Why do you think I bought one earlier this year ;)

    By the way Chris, I modified my K10 to have metal forks now. Feel free to have a look
    :o I WANT A METAL FORK!

    How did you get hold of them Dave?

    I WANT A K10!!!

    Theyre about $2000. Contact Michael Agrotis at Diamond C or Chris at Talk Coffee; both are site sponsors

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    437

    Re: conical vs flat

    hmm....the metal forks vibrate too much on the k10. when I rest my PF on it, it rattles like a &^#$.....

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1210487170/0#12 date=1210553879
    Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1210487170/0#10 date=1210509856
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210487170/0#9 date=1210504053
    Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes - David S link=1210487170/0#8 date=1210503947
    Why do you think I bought one earlier this year ;)

    By the way Chris, I modified my K10 to have metal forks now. Feel free to have a look
    :o I WANT A METAL FORK!

    How did you get hold of them Dave?

    I WANT A K10!!!

    Theyre about $2000. Contact Michael Agrotis at Diamond C or Chris at Talk Coffee; both are site sponsors
    Trust me David, I know where to get one and I know how much they are.... thats not my problem if you know what I mean. ;) Its the justifying part ;D One day..... ::)

  16. #16
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1210487170/0#14 date=1210556612
    Trust me David, I know where to get one and I know how much they are.... thats not my problem if you know what I mean. ;) Its the justifying part *;D One day..... ::)
    You will find that once you have one, its easy to justify! 8-)

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,687

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210487170/15#15 date=1210557443
    Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1210487170/0#14 date=1210556612
    Trust me David, I know where to get one and I know how much they are.... thats not my problem if you know what I mean. ;) Its the justifying part ;D One day..... ::)
    You will find that once you have one, its easy to justify! 8-)
    Yeah Ive worn that excuse out already for this year haha ;D Ill be digging into my 2009 quota of that excuse if I got one.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1210487170/0#13 date=1210556255
    hmm....the metal forks vibrate too much on the k10. when I rest my PF on it, it rattles like a &^#$.....
    I have no such issue.

    You should see what the Elektra grinder does to a La Marzocco portafilter! Its like a JACKHAMMERRRR [smiley=angry.gif]

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    437

    Re: conical vs flat

    oh reaaally?

    Might be different forks?

    Mine just goes nuts when the PF spout touches the fork. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

    Hmm....might be some tuning forks they found lying around!

  20. #20
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by cremakid link=1210487170/0#11 date=1210539811
    The 60mm flat burrs of the Cunill range are not what one would call cheapies, they are top quality and will grind consistently and last as long as many other "non-cheapies". So starting with the Tranquilo at around $395 there is no need to spend $600 if the burrs are the main issue. IMHO.
    If this grinder was a little smaller I would have got one instead of the Challenge
    Got to have the space on the bench
    KK

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    723

    Re: conical vs flat

    Gotta say with the Challenge youll not be getting the most out of the Galatea - Ive tried it with the Challenge, the KS and the Macap M4, and I can tell the difference blindfold Im sure :)

  22. #22
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Identity link=1210487170/15#20 date=1210624077
    Gotta say with the Challenge youll not be getting the most out of the Galatea - Ive tried it with the Challenge, the KS and the Macap M4, and I can tell the difference blindfold Im sure :)
    ....and a whole new world awaits up in K10/Robur conical land ;)

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    437

    Re: conical vs flat

    Amen to that!

  24. #24
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: conical vs flat


    I have a triangle of bench space available

    Side 40cm X front 40cm X back 30 cm B/4 it falls off the bench

    Hight is not much of an issue but the wife factor may come into it as it did when she chose the Bezzera Domus :)

    So would prefer a low profile grinder if possible and pre loved to keep costs down


    Chris recomended the K3 when I asked him a few weeks ago

    The Mazzer Robur is 28 kg empty and about $3000
    Im afraid would not get enough use at home

    KK

  25. #25
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1210487170/15#23 date=1210640820
    So would prefer a low profile grinder if possible and pre loved to keep costs down....

    KK
    Hi KK,

    It might be worth making a WTB post in the Hardware for sale thread? There are a couple of mazzer minis there as well...

    Cheers

    Chris

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    437

    Re: conical vs flat

    A robur is a just a monster.

    at 500RPM and 71mm blades the thing just hacks away at the beans you put through it at home.

    You turn it on for 3 seconds and ur done....


  27. #27
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: conical vs flat

    Ok Ok this is wife sanctioned by the way
    I have placed an order with Chris on the Macap M4d electronic

    KK

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: conical vs flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin1 link=1210487170/15#25 date=1210684130
    A robur is a just a monster.

    at 500RPM and 71mm blades the thing just hacks away at the beans you put through it at home.

    You turn it on for 3 seconds and ur done....
    Its actually closer to 4 and 4.5 seconds....not that 1 seconds makes a difference at home ;)



Similar Threads

  1. La Cimbali DRM Belt Drive Conical/Flat Grinder
    By beanflying in forum Grinders
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 24th November 2014, 07:30 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17th July 2012, 08:00 PM
  3. Pros and Cons - Flat versus Conical Burrs
    By Joshymo in forum Grinders
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 14th March 2010, 06:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •