Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Following on from this thread I finally saved the bucks for a grinder upgrade and made the trip to Talk Coffee today with a fist full of dollars, and my choices narrowed down to a Mazzer mini or a Macap M4.

    Chris gave me a bit of a rundown on both machines and I finally bit the bullet on the Mazzer.

    I got it dialled in on my second shot, but am still coming to terms with the doser. No doubt itll grow on me.
    I used to find it hard to believe that a grinder could make a big difference to the taste of my shots, but since drinking a latte made with familiar beans ground by the MM Im a convert. Who woulda thunk a grinder could make that much difference!

    Thankyou to all who have helped me out with advice during my research and Thankyou to Chris. *


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    362

    Re: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    Do you find it much quieter than the 0480?

  3. #3
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    The MM is a very quiet grinder. From what Ive heard, the EM0480 is very noisy

  4. #4
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,117

    Re: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    Hey Gronk

    You will eventually learn and get familiar with the doser
    But I am glad to hear that the coffee tastes like coffee should taste
    And thatís what we all strive for ;)

    A good cup of coffee full of flavour sip sip ahhhhhh sip sip ahhhhhhh

    KK

  5. #5
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    Hey gronk

    A couple of points to keep in mind:

    - keep a brush handy to sweep grounds from the grinder throat *outlet where it feeds into the doser chamber. You will probably get clumping there. A small artists brush is better as Ive been using the one that comes with my Coffeeparts cleaning kit and it sheds a bristle or two occasionally.

    - to avoid clumping in the pf dose while grinding *rather than waiting for the grinding to finish (thx to nunu for this tip) . I usually grind only enough for one shot at a time.

    - the sweeper mod is worthwhile. Rather than using the tape mod, I followed Simones recommendation of turning the grinder on its back (remove the hopper first) then push 26mm x 15+mm pieces of card in the slot between the sweeper blade and the sweeper blade housing. Access through the doser outlet and use the doser arm to move the blades into view

    The 15mm width of the card should only project a smidgen below the blade otherwise friction will tend to dislodge the card. Ive only inserted the card in every second blade of the 6 and it works a treat. Business card or slightly thicker worked for me. Doing it this way saves taking the grinder apart.

    - I give mine a vacuum once a month or more inside the doser and the grinder throat

    Apologies if you are already trying or aware of these tips

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    Quote Originally Posted by runfast link=1222241705/0#1 date=1222302887
    Do you find it much quieter than the 0480?
    Much quieter!! cept for the clack clack clack of the doser handle *:)

    Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1222241705/0#3 date=1222316110
    Hey Gronk
    You will eventually learn and get familiar with the doser
    Yep no doubt itll grow on me the more I use it *:)

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222241705/0#4 date=1222318653
    Hey gronk

    A couple of points to keep in mind:

    - keep a brush handy to sweep grounds from the grinder throat *outlet where it feeds into the doser chamber. You will probably get clumping there.
    The first thing I did when I unpacked the grinder was to remove the finger guard.
    I have a perfect brush for the job.


    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222241705/0#4 date=1222318653
    - to avoid clumping in the pf dose while grinding *rather than waiting for the grinding to finish (thx to nunu for this tip) . I usually grind only enough for one shot at a time.
    Tried it both ways and will be a few days I think till I settle into a routine.

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222241705/0#4 date=1222318653
    - the sweeper mod is worthwhile. Rather than using the tape mod, I followed Simones recommendation of turning the grinder on its back (remove the hopper first) then push 26mm x 15+mm pieces of card in the slot between the sweeper blade and the sweeper blade housing. Access through the doser outlet and use the doser arm to move the blades into view

    The 15mm width of the card should only project a smidgen below the blade otherwise friction will tend to dislodge the card. Ive only inserted the card in every second blade of the 6 and it works a treat. Business card or slightly thicker worked for me. Doing it this way saves taking the grinder apart.
    I read Simones mod a few weeks ago when I was reading hundreds of reviews of grinders.
    So far the very few left over grounds dont bother me....but Im sure Ill get the urge to do some kinda sweeper mod eventually ;D

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222241705/0#4 date=1222318653
    Apologies if you are already trying or aware of these tips
    No apologies needed. Thanks for taking the time to post the info

  7. #7
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1222241705/0#5 date=1222331634
    The first thing I did when I unpacked the grinder was to remove the finger guard.
    I have a perfect brush for the job.
    You dont mean your finger do you? *;) Make sure the grinder is turned off while brushing (right Simone?)

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222241705/0#4 date=1222318653
    - the sweeper mod is worthwhile.
    So far the very few left over grounds dont bother me....but Im sure Ill get the urge to do some kinda sweeper mod eventually ;D
    I did mine after almost 3 months

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    323

    Re: Upgraded to a new Mazzer mini today

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222241705/0#4 date=1222318653
    - the sweeper mod is worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by gronk62 link=1222241705/0#5 date=1222331634
    So far the very few left over grounds dont bother me....but Im sure Ill get the urge to do some kinda sweeper mod eventually ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnaus link=1222241705/0#6 date=1222339746
    I did mine after almost 3 months
    Ok so it took me less time than I thought. Dug the old roll of Gaffa out and made some sweepers today.
    Also fitted it with a "Schectermatic Shnozzola" which pretty much solves the "left throw" of the doser.
    Gunna make one out of light aluminium sheet now that I know how good it works :)



Similar Threads

  1. Getting to know my Mazzer Mini
    By sans_souci in forum Grinders
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th January 2011, 05:27 PM
  2. Mazzer SJ or Mini
    By greenman in forum Grinders
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th February 2009, 01:39 PM
  3. new Mazzer Mini!
    By L_pena in forum Grinders
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th September 2008, 04:59 PM
  4. Re: FS- Mazzer mini-e
    By TC in forum SOLD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th September 2007, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •