Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bugger.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933

    Bugger.

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Got the new data logger up and running on my PC thanks to WSully, so decided to migrate it to the shed and set it up on a retired PC running XP.
    All went well with a number of trips from house to shed with memory stick to load Java, logger software etc then the PC turned up its bloody toes and died, not even a last gasp dead as a bloody maggot >:(
    Looks like Im gonna have to talk nicely to the better half and borrow her laptop for my weekly roasting sessions ;) probably would have been the smart thing to do in the first place instead of messing with an old clunker, oh well ya live and learn. :)

  2. #2
    Gra
    Gra is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    610

    Re: Bugger.

    Hi Jon

    Sounds like me if there is any thing to go wrong it dose with me too I know just how you feel, Never mind mate alls well that ends well ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Cheers Gra.

  3. #3
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Bugger.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E626B7366070 link=1260251123/0#0 date=1260251123
    Got the new data logger up and running on my PC thanks to WSully, so decided to migrate it to the shed and set it up on a retired PC running XP.
    All went well with a number of trips from house to shed with memory stick to load Java, logger software etc then the PC turned up its bloody toes and died, not even a last gasp dead as a bloody maggot >:(
    Looks like Im gonna have to talk nicely to the better half and borrow her laptop for my weekly roasting sessions ;) probably would have been the smart thing to do in the first place instead of messing with an old clunker, oh well ya live and learn. :)
    giggled like a schoolgirl..

    Oh how many times have I been there.. *But can not stand to dump stuff and support the wastage of IT products.. *

    Still have about 5 cases and boxes of bits... Any one want a 486 cpu.. I think I still have even teh maths co processor chips as a seperat IC..

    But I digress again..

    What would teh wife *need the laptop for ? *She wont miss it.. *:D ;D :o ::) *:P

  4. #4
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Bugger.

    Better it happened now Jon that say, oh, 6 months into your roasting journey with lots of logs, notes and some early blends on the go. Im still smarting from losing all that data.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933

    Re: Bugger.

    Quote Originally Posted by 6B444D4F58674B444B4D4F474F445E2A0 link=1260251123/2#2 date=1260264886
    Oh how many times have I been there..But can not stand to dump stuff and support the wastage of IT products..

    Still have about 5 cases and boxes of bits... Any one want a 486 cpu.. I think I still have even teh maths co processor chips as a seperat IC.
    Same here, Ive got 3 boxes in the shed, main reason I dont dump em is security, this is the last straw, gonna rip the drives out destroy em and dump here I come.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6B444D4F58674B444B4D4F474F445E2A0 link=1260251123/2#2 date=1260264886
    What would teh wifeneed the laptop for ?She wont miss it.
    I suspect she just might, spends more time on the thing than me. ::)

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933

    Re: Bugger.

    Quote Originally Posted by 29203B2229242C410 link=1260251123/3#3 date=1260273450
    Better it happened now Jon that say, oh, 6 months into your roasting journey with lots of logs, notes and some early blends on the go. Im still smarting from losing all that data.
    Data loss can be a nightmare (been there done that) back up to external HD regularly now. ::)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    76

    Re: Bugger.

    Oh yeah. I havent had the pain of losing data but I can only imagine how it would screw with you. For that reason alone I do an onsite backup *weekly and off site monthly.

    Ohhhh I get a sore head thinking about losing it all. I need a coffee...
    :(

  8. #8
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Bugger.

    Quote Originally Posted by 767F6E6E77767F6E6E771E0 link=1260251123/6#6 date=1260280791
    Oh yeah. I havent had the pain of losing data but I can only imagine how it would screw with you. For that reason alone I do an onsite backup *weekly and off site monthly.

    Ohhhh I get a sore head thinking about losing it all. I need a coffee...
    :( *
    I often have to recover data and once had a nice little income from it.. But to day you would be surprised how much is lost.. And often family memories etc.. *No hard copies.. Just all on the one PC .

    A: Sure safe as houses... 1 drive partitioned into 3. *Dohhhh

    B: Backups on CD and *DVD (maybe)... Cheapest available and burnt at teh highest speed possible.... Dohhhh *These do last for ever... Thats what it says on teh label.. *( Read carefully and do not make assumptions..... The raw product has a warranty of 5 or 10 years; if stored correctly. *Once used.. There is no warranty as to data retention...

    In the forensics area we give high end dvd / cd about 2 years.. When stored correctly.. *

    About 3 to 4 *if burnt correctly and a full CRC check performed and validated prior to being stored correctly....

    Opps... At home they just sit where everrrr... Humidity / temp / Light etc etc...

    PS.

    Still do data recovery... But more of a side line... No longer have all the hardware and controlled environment to offer any true level of a total recovery process/service.. Peopel come to me when they dont want to pay thousands and have decided to cut and run.. About 80% success rate to date...

    Now, I just do it for mates and when special people; need a result from left field... But it aint always free ;)

  9. #9
    hazchem
    Guest

    Re: Bugger.

    Quote Originally Posted by 08343D2530510 link=1260251123/5#5 date=1260273899
    Quote Originally Posted by 29203B2229242C410 link=1260251123/3#3 date=1260273450
    Better it happened now Jon that say, oh, 6 months into your roasting journey with lots of logs, notes and some early blends on the go. Im still smarting from losing all that data. *
    Data loss can be a nightmare (been there done that) back up to external HD regularly now. ::)
    yeah, I feel extra stupid given that as soon as I plugged my external drive into my Mac it asked me if I wanted to set up Time Machine, and I said no, thinking Id do it later. Later became when I had a new HDD installed.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    433

    Re: Bugger.

    Saw an external HDD cheap on the net one day about 12 months ago and thought it might be good to have an external backup for our business files (full accounting data, payroll, tax files plus business emails and documents etc). No less than 2 weeks after this was set up for daily backups and the motherboard fried itself, thanks to a Raid0 system, all data lost from the HDD.

    Im usually the sort that thinks of backs ups etc after they are needed, not before, but thank goodness I was lucky.

    With USB HDDs available around $150nz pesos for a 1TB drive now, there really is no reason not to have one

  11. #11
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Bugger.

    Quote Originally Posted by 03353E31243F22500 link=1260251123/9#9 date=1260309016
    With USB HDDs available around $150nz pesos for a 1TB drive now, there really is no reason not to have one
    Problem is what app to sync and do teh backups..

    I image my system..

    NOTE to ALL.. Always do a validation / crc check on ya backup.. ALWAYS..

    I have had two people come to me as their HDD died but they could not access the backups.. You guessed it... Their backups were corrupt....

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: Bugger.

    RAID baby!, if ya have important data, its the only way to fly INHO

    Ive tried a number of free backup programs with a fair amount of success, but like anything in IT, for every good product, there are 100 crap ones, im with ya AM on;
    Quote Originally Posted by 220D0406112E020D0204060E060D17630 link=1260251123/10#10 date=1260312942
    Always do a validation
    so true! ;)

  13. #13
    brett230873
    Guest

    Re: Bugger.

    I run a file share machine that we dump everything from our PCs on and use SyncBack to back up the drives to external HDDs HOWEVER, I too am thinking Raid via a NAS may be a safer way to go. At the end of the day if you have photos of the kids that you cant live without, back em up separately also and store them offsite. You wont have to do this for too may more years because Cloud Storage is becoming more economically viable.

    Your backup schedule should be part of a weekly if not nightly routine and should involve more than one medium. Take it from one who lost every photo from 1999-2001 despite backing up regularly.

  14. #14
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Bugger.

    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by 75657263632524272F2024170 link=1260251123/12#12 date=1260314516
    I run a file share machine that we dump everything from our PCs on and use SyncBack to back up the drives to external HDDs HOWEVER, *I too am thinking Raid via a NAS may be a safer way to go. *At the end of the day if you have photos of the kids that you cant live without, back em up separately also and store them offsite. *You wont have to do this for too may more years because Cloud Storage is becoming more economically viable. *

    Your backup schedule should be part of a weekly if not nightly routine and should involve more than one medium. *Take it from one who lost every photo from 1999-2001 despite backing up regularly.
    Just be careful with NAS and RAID.. Some us a special file format and if teh hardware dies... Raid or not ya stuffed untill you get the same hardware.. Opps not always easily available.

    Thus mainstream NTFS .. EXT3 etc etc Something that makes it a little easer for data recovery people to work with..



Similar Threads

  1. Bugger again.
    By Yelta in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th December 2009, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •