Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: corretto times and heat

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    106

    corretto times and heat

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. *I have just started out roasting and so far thoroughly enjoying myself. *I have set up a corretto using a breville BM on dough cycle and ozito Heat Gun. *I have been reading through the coffee snobs site as much as I can. (3 boys under 5yrs makes it hard to find the time) and have learnt that ideally I want to hit 1st crack at about 9-10 minutes and then 2nd crack at around 5 or so minutes after that. *My question is, by 1st crack, is that the first initial crack or rolling 1st crack. *The same for 2nd crack. Is the 5 minutes timed from the first initial 1st crack till the 1st initial 2nd crack or from the end of 1st crack till the initial 2nd crack?

    Hope that makes sense.... ::) *I have been storing my beans in one way valve zip lock bags but tend to open the bags every day and smell them.... How much is this going to affect the beans???

    Thanks in advance for the answers, I have learned so much from this site already.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: corretto times and heat

    hey mum ;),
    i personally take FC to be the first few solid cracks not the very first one, as you can get some rouge FC snaps, and i take SC to be the absolute first of the teeny weeny snaps, this is because i tend to roast to this point "most" of the time, FC to SC time for me is between those two points, as far as the opening of bags goes, i dont open them generally for at least 3 days.

    Sounds like your having a ball!

    cheers
    warren



  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    106

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Thanks for the reply. I am just setting up the BM for another go now and will time it and see how it goes. I also need to learn some self control and leave the bags alone for at least a few days I think...

  4. #4
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Timings are the same for me.

    Do try wait so that you can taste your results during the 7 to 14 day marks.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    541

    Re: corretto times and heat

    mum2three

    I use a similar definition of FC & SC to wsully, you do get "rouge" results from time to time.
    If I wait until RFC, before I back of the heat, it may be too late and the beans will coast too quickly towards SC.

    By the way
    The 9-10min to FC is really dependent on the bean and your taste preference.
    I would typically use this kind of time for brazil and central american beans.
    For harder beans [SHB] and some indo and africans I would aim for up to 14min to FC.
    Generally a faster roast will be brighter [ie more acidity and fruit]

    Experimenting with times is fun and it will really help your palates development.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    106

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Thanks everyone for the replies. Well, I just tried to roast about 400gm of ethiopian beans and things went horribly wrong... :(
    I timed the beans to first crack (just starting to consistently crack) at 9:40 and had already begun backing the heat off. Things seemed to be going so well at this point. Anyway, I was aiming for about 14:40 - 15:40 for second crack and pull it off. Well I must have backed the heat off too far because 15 min came and went, as did 16, then 17. My machine cut out at 18 minutes and I could not get it to restart for about 20 minutes where I put it back in with a 10 minutes dough cycle. (otherwise would have to wait 1/2 hour to get to longer dough cycle) Anyway, the 10 minutes came and went with HG up high and still no second crack. I have just completely wasted some good beans. :( :( I am thinking I may need to modify my BM so it just has an on off switch but all the electricians I have contacted either wanted to charge me $50+ or wouldnt even touch it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    219

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Hi Mum

    Dont throw them out! I once had a similar experience when my barbeque ran out of gas (pan roasting). I was going to chuck them but Mrs L kept them and they ended up being delicious!

    Mr L

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Quote Originally Posted by 342C346B2D312B3C3C590 link=1260910421/5#5 date=1260918762
    I am thinking I may need to modify my BM so it just has an on off switch but all the electricians I have contacted either wanted to charge me $50+ or wouldnt even touch it.
    Its an easy mod Mum, problem is if you go down the DIY path and get it wrong your 3 may well be orphans (240 volt ya know) :(
    Most tradesman have a minimum charge, the whole job should take an hour at the outside, explain exactly what you want and try to get a firm quote. :)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    106

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Quote Originally Posted by 5E525B5B585851484E493D0 link=1260910421/6#6 date=1260919392
    Dont throw them out! I once had a similar experience when my barbeque ran out of gas (pan roasting). I was going to chuck them but Mrs L kept them and they ended up being delicious!
    Funny you should say that. I just went out to have another look and they actually look pretty good but they smell fabulous. I thought I would bag them anyway...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    106

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Quote Originally Posted by 516D647C69080 link=1260910421/7#7 date=1260919805
    Its an easy mod Mum, problem is if you go down the DIY path and get it wrong your 3 may well be orphans (240 volt ya know)
    Most tradesman have a minimum charge, the whole job should take an hour at the outside, explain exactly what you want and try to get a firm quote. *
    I wouldnt even attempt it myself. *I have zero electrical knowledge and simply wouldnt take the risk. *

  11. #11
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Quote Originally Posted by 627A623D7B677D6A6A0F0 link=1260910421/9#9 date=1260920274
    I have zero electrical knowledge and simply would take the risk.
    Youd be amazed how many very obviously have no electrical skills and still attempt to do this sort of thing themselves, makes ya wonder. ::)

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    52

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Quote Originally Posted by 1106160110170611630 link=1260910421/4#4 date=1260916980
    Experimenting with times is fun and it will really help your palates development.
    My comments are a bit off thread but all I can say is "bug humbug". Am really just venting because I am having the most frustrating time experimenting with times. Just roasted some Kuza, trying to extend the time between 1st and 2nd crack and its the worst roast ever (well not quite) - very uneven in colour (some beans are CS12), losts of burnt tips and I have no idea what has gone wrong. We are having some coffee loving Swedes spend Christmas and Im trying to get a varied and large quantity of beans roasted and I cant say Ive been happy with a single roast. Im finding the time lag with an electric powered roaster fustrating and I think because I am becoming more confident Im trying to twig things just a bit too much. The power supply variances is extraordinary and not helping either. Oh! bug humbug! (are we allowed to seriously swear on this site because thats what I want to do.)

  13. #13
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,933

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Quote Originally Posted by 4C564954524354260 link=1260910421/11#11 date=1260923300
    Quote Originally Posted by 1106160110170611630 link=1260910421/4#4 date=1260916980
    Experimenting with times is fun and it will really help your palates development. *
    My comments are a bit off thread but all I can say is "bug humbug". Am really just venting because I am having the most frustrating time experimenting with times. *Just roasted some Kuza, trying to extend the time between 1st and 2nd crack and its the worst roast ever (well not quite) - very uneven in colour (some beans are CS12), losts of burnt tips and I have no idea what has gone wrong. *We are having some coffee loving Swedes spend Christmas and Im trying to get a varied and large quantity of beans roasted and I cant say Ive been happy with a single roast. * Im finding the time lag with an electric powered roaster fustrating and I think because I am becoming more confident Im trying to twig things just a bit too much. *The power supply variances is extraordinary and not helping either. Oh! bug humbug! (are we allowed to seriously swear on this site because thats what I want to do.)
    Aint it amazing, when the pressure is on (coffee loving Swedes) is exactly the time we are most likely to stuff things up, think its because we move out of our comfort zone trying to impress. :(

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,756

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Quote Originally Posted by 5048500F49554F58583D0 link=1260910421/5#5 date=1260918762
    all the electricians I have contacted
    Ya never know mum......might be a CSer that MAY want to donate 20mins to ya BM, just ask(not me,im not a sparky, but there are a few in brissie ;))

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    80

    Re: corretto times and heat

    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Harking back to my days with the popcorn popper Ive been taking a slightly more set and forget approach to time and temperature just lately. *I was getting frustrated by a little too much variation in my results so I figured the more variables I could remove the better. *

    I now set my HG the same distance from the beans every time, and its always on the same temp setting. *I set it going and dont fiddle. *

    Now my only variation is ambient temperature and the beans. *Sometimes first crack is 8 minutes, sometimes it might be 10 but its almost always at a temp between 190 & 200. *

    Past first crack I choose a shade on the trusty CS members card and stop when the beans look to be about right. *I also know that SC is going to kick in somewhere between 215-220 (according to my meter at least). So I start listening closely once the temp get close to there and usually Ill stop at SC no matter what.

    Im sure there are far more scientific approaches but for me all the timing and changing temp and graphing and general messing about seemed like too much effort.

    Now that Im getting consistent results Im considering a little playing around to control the time from first crack to SC but then again, Ive yet to produce a roast I didnt like so maybe if it aint broke, I wont fix it...



Similar Threads

  1. Heat gun holders for corretto
    By linnaen in forum Roasters
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 30th September 2009, 12:40 PM
  2. Do you pre-heat your corretto?
    By PhilMac in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24th July 2008, 05:55 PM
  3. Resting Times: popper v corretto
    By smokeydeck in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th April 2008, 11:14 PM
  4. Lengthening roast times with Corretto..
    By Flo in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10th February 2007, 10:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •