Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Corretto Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12

    Corretto Questions

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all, I have just started on my Corretto journey with a DIY bean cooler (all information sourced from here :), and equipments are Sunbeam HG2100, Ozito Heatgun from bunnings

    Just did my first roast today with 300gram and I have a few questions regarding the heat gun. The ozito heat gun is a variable temperature one, and when I turn it to max temperature it kinda shoots sparks and I have to turn it down. Is this normal by any means? And also when I turn the heat gun ON (not off sorry) theres some kind of weird burning smell which is not at all pleasant to the nose.

    What do you guys think, dud heat gun or this is normal? Im tempted to return it tomorrow and instead get the Bosch 630 or at least a ryobi.

    Appreciate the help guys :)

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    83

    Re: Corretto Questions

    I quickly went through 2 Ozito headguns with both of them failing after only a few roasts. I returned under warranty both of them to Bunnings and ended up with a Ryobi variable and 200+ roasts later couldnt be happier.

    I would return it and upgrade. As for the sparks? sometimes I get some chaff or general dust igniting as it blows back towards the headgun and this can appear as very small sparks which disappear very quickly.

    But the Ozito is what it is...a cheap heatgun and will have a very limited life in the sort of use needed for successful Coretto roasting.

  3. #3
    Senior Member greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,157

    Re: Corretto Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by 6163676E606E776713220 link=1333968393/1#1 date=1333969650
    I would return it and upgrade. As for the sparks? sometimes I get some chaff or general dust igniting as it blows back towards the headgun and this can appear as very small sparks which disappear very quickly.
    I used to aim a small fan across the breadmaker and heatgun to clear the chaff from entering the heatgun, otherwise the chaff will build up and overheat the gun with resultant failure. It also kept the work area free of chaff and I just vacuumed up the floor of my garage afterwards :)
    Happy roasting :) :) :)

  4. #4
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559

    Re: Corretto Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by 7E76736E726666661C0 link=1333968393/0#0 date=1333968393
    Hi all, I have just started on my Corretto journey with a DIY bean cooler (all information sourced from here :), and equipments are Sunbeam HG2100, Ozito Heatgun from bunnings

    Just did my first roast today with 300gram and I have a few questions regarding the heat gun. The ozito heat gun is a variable temperature one, and when I turn it to max temperature it kinda shoots sparks and I have to turn it down. Is this normal by any means? And also when I turn the heat gun off theres some kind of weird burning smell which is not at all pleasant to the nose.

    What do you guys think, dud heat gun or this is normal? Im tempted to return it tomorrow and instead get the Bosch 630 or at least a ryobi.

    Appreciate the help guys :)
    I think i have the same heat gun as you. As previous replies have said, i get small bits of chaff igniting. But no sparks from the gun itself. But i find that i dont nee the highest heat setting anyway. =)

    Hth

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Corretto Questions

    Thanks guys, now that I think of it I do think its the chaff igniting itself so I guess theres nothing to worry about. But the burning plastic smell is off putting, and its been there for a couple hours and I do it in my backyard so plenty of circulation. I think I might just go with a better gun such as the Ryobi or Bosch and see how everything goes.

    What an exciting yet fulfilling journey, and definitely cant wait to taste my first corretto produce. :)

  6. #6
    Senior Member artman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,418

    Re: Corretto Questions

    As others have said, you need to keep the guns air entry points clear. I use a lid on the BM which directs the exit air away and downwards, so the chaff just gets blown to the floor, so nothing ends up in the air intakes, no chaff remains in the roast and its all in one spot on the floor for east cleanup.

    My gun is an ozito that I bought used off another CSer a few years back and its still going strong (touch wood). I always have it on full speed and full heat and adjust height to vary temp.

    The burning plastic smell does not sound right though. unless its factory "oils" etc burning off in the first few uses?

    Cheers

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    95

    Re: Corretto Questions

    I have done 5 batches now with an ozito heat gun and no burning smell whatsoever, so I can confirm that its not right. Id be trying to track it down as you dont want plastic smell/taste in you beans

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Corretto Questions

    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by 7A696F767A751B0 link=1333968393/5#5 date=1333977348
    As others have said, you need to keep the guns air entry points clear.* I use a lid on the BM which directs the exit air away and downwards, so the chaff just gets blown to the floor, so nothing ends up in the air intakes, no chaff remains in the roast and its all in one spot on the floor for east cleanup.*

    My gun is an ozito that I bought used off another CSer a few years back and its still going strong (touch wood).* I always have it on full speed and full heat and adjust height to vary temp.

    The burning plastic smell does not sound right though.* unless its factory "oils" etc burning off in the first few uses?

    Cheers
    I think you might be right regarding the "factory oils" etc burning off, Im 3 roasts in and the smell is GONE. So I might just stick with this for a cheap heat gun that does the job perfectly.

    Quote Originally Posted by 50726F7E486F62777E281B0 link=1333968393/6#6 date=1334370404
    I have done 5 batches now with an ozito heat gun and no burning smell whatsoever, so I can confirm that its not right. Id be trying to track it down as you dont want plastic smell/taste in you beans
    Yea it would seem to be gone now, but if it comes back I will definitely be chasing that up. But 3 roasts in and had my first and I was delighted. If only I found this sooner instead of roasting 3 batches on the popcorn maker a day. Haha



Similar Threads

  1. Automated Corretto Questions
    By greencardigan in forum Roasters
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22nd November 2010, 04:04 PM
  2. Corretto questions
    By Thundergod in forum Roasters
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 19th April 2008, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •