Hello Paulau, I don't think you should be too concerned about an extension lead. In the US they run on 110 - 115 volts, and sometimes the local supply can be a bit lower still. This means that for the same wattage they are drawing more than twice as much current as we would here in Oz. It is this high current which increases the voltage drop in the lead, and reduced power at the appliance. The loss is also proportional to the length of the lead, so the shorter it is, the less effect it will have. One meter would have virtually no effect at all.
For the same reason, using an extension lead to slow down popper roasts is not very effective unless you use a VERY long lead with small diameter conductors.