Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By zingzing
  • 1 Post By TampIt

Thread: Sugar in the milk jug?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Emmetsespresso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Noosa Heads, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    24

    Sugar in the milk jug?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    So I know it's not cool because it can get in the wand, but aside from that is there any other negative reasons? It does beautifully distribute the sugar throughout, and I'm all about mixing people's sugar in thoroughly to give them the best version of what they are after (even if it's a sin to have sugar).

    (I only do Takeaway so portion control is never an issue with milk leftovers in the jug)

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    No reason not to if you choose. It's effectively the same as doing a hot choc in the jug. Just keep things clean and flush before and after.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Journeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    1,029
    I discovered I like lattés once I began making my own and putting natvia in the jug. Turned out I didn't like the taste of the normal milk in cafés so I always got long strong macchs - now I get double shot lattés and ask for 1 sugar in the milk. Some places refuse.

    I also do hot chocs in the jug as well as chai lattés for the missus. (makes both extra creamy I am told)

    I've had no issues with blocking my wand and I've been doing the 'in-the-jug- thing for about 10 months or so. I always remove the jug just before the steam finishes and always give the steam a good shot after I finish making coffees so that probably keeps it clear.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9
    Lactose is a disaccharide sugar (galactose and glucose).
    Table sugar (Sucrose) is a disaccharide sugar (fructose and glucose).

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by soso View Post
    Lactose is a disaccharide sugar (galactose and glucose).
    Table sugar (Sucrose) is a disaccharide sugar (fructose and glucose).
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs soso, strange first post!.

    Why not introduce yourself here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/off-topic/...o-easy-me.html

  6. #6
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    I discovered I like lattés once I began making my own and putting natvia in the jug. Turned out I didn't like the taste of the normal milk in cafés so I always got long strong macchs - now I get double shot lattés and ask for 1 sugar in the milk. Some places refuse.

    I also do hot chocs in the jug as well as chai lattés for the missus. (makes both extra creamy I am told)

    I've had no issues with blocking my wand and I've been doing the 'in-the-jug- thing for about 10 months or so. I always remove the jug just before the steam finishes and always give the steam a good shot after I finish making coffees so that probably keeps it clear.
    Morning JM, have been doing this sugar in milk jug) for years, works a treat, dissolves the sugar nicely in the milk, your not left with a slug of undissolved sugar in the bottom of the cup.

    I use a similar cleaning method to you, have never had a problem with keeping the wand clean, both inside and out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Journeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    1,029
    It is a strange thing to add in to this thread without explanation. I wonder if we will see him/her again or is s/he is so-so about it..?

    Welcome anyway soso.

    Imagine my chagrin when I came on CS to tell people about how nice adding the sweet to the jug made a latté and found people already did it? I thought I'd come up with something new to tell folks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    thought I'd come up with something new to tell folks.
    Careful JM, your starting to sound like Kevin.

  9. #9
    Coffee Newbie okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth. WA
    Posts
    454
    I did try the sugar to milk a few months back and my guest loved the latte I made for them... however, when I tasted it, I noticed that it seemed extremely sweet... my GF said it was actually sickly sweet....
    even though I have added only half a teaspoon into a 1/2ltr milk jug for steaming, it does make it extremely sweet...

    does the steaming process make it more obvious compare to adding it after?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    I did try the sugar to milk a few months back and my guest loved the latte I made for them... however, when I tasted it, I noticed that it seemed extremely sweet... my GF said it was actually sickly sweet....
    even though I have added only half a teaspoon into a 1/2ltr milk jug for steaming, it does make it extremely sweet...

    does the steaming process make it more obvious compare to adding it after?
    Use less sugar.

  11. #11
    Coffee Newbie okitoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Perth. WA
    Posts
    454
    thats the point... prior to my coffee snobbery... my cup of coffee consisted of 3 teaspoon of instant coffee with 3 teaspoon of sugar.... thats per cup... now I tried just 1/2 teaspoon for 2 cups of coffee... can't believe I used to be able to drink coffee like that... :P

  12. #12
    Senior Member mwcalder05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    437
    It could be that you are caramelising the sugars just enough to make them more predominant in the cup okitoki?

    M

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs soso, strange first post!.

    Why not introduce yourself here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/off-topic/...o-easy-me.html
    Sorry for the terse post. Strange is normal for me.
    I meant milk has already got sugar in it, you're just adding a bit more.
    Thanks for tug Yelta I'll steam over there now.

  14. #14
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,095
    Sugar wouldn't caramelise at the temps and times used for making milk coffee drinks.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    Sugar wouldn't caramelise at the temps and times used for making milk coffee drinks.
    Agreed.

    I am a fan of this method, I can use 1/3 of a tsp in the jug of milk in a flat white for people who usually request 1 whole tsp and they are non the wiser.

    I think it is sweeter overall than the same amount mixed in the cup and it just comes down to the sugar being better dissolved and distributed through the entire volume of milk and well steamed milk will be sweet anyway.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    84
    Actually tried this the first time this morning... half teaspoon of panela in the jug for my wifes latte and she commented on how nice it was without me telling her I did it. Gave the milk a slight caramel look too.
    GreenBeanGenii likes this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,885
    Quote Originally Posted by zingzing View Post
    Actually tried this the first time this morning... half teaspoon of panela in the jug for my wifes latte and she commented on how nice it was without me telling her I did it. Gave the milk a slight caramel look too.
    Had to Google Panela Panela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia very alternative.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Had to Google Panela Panela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia very alternative.
    It started appearing in a few cafes in my area (Gold Coast/Brisbane) instead of sugar a couple of years ago. Although its much more expensive than sugar ($16/kg), it lasts a long time only using a half teaspoon per day!

    I don't have sugar personally but it gives another layer of flavour, especially to milky coffees and directly on the tongue has a nice fruity acidity... and sweetness.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    thats the point... prior to my coffee snobbery... my cup of coffee consisted of 3 teaspoon of instant coffee with 3 teaspoon of sugar.... thats per cup... now I tried just 1/2 teaspoon for 2 cups of coffee... can't believe I used to be able to drink coffee like that... :P
    Hi okitoki

    A good part of that is probably due to the fact that when you froth milk to latte art quality, it still has a wide range of possible tastes. When you get it "exactly correct" it picks up a lot of extra sweetness.

    Sounds like you have nailed how to froth milk properly, unlike 99% of cafes who barely get it within latte art range and often scald it past pallbearer territory.

    TampIt
    GreenBeanGenii likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •