Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By herzog
  • 6 Post By Yelta
  • 1 Post By woodhouse
  • 7 Post By Bosco_Lever
  • 1 Post By TroubleBrewing
  • 1 Post By Ronin

Thread: $5 v $20,000 steamer

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SYD
    Posts
    604

    $5 v $20,000 steamer

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Spotted this on the Gram.

    Dritan Alsela, who many of you may be familiar with for his lever machine antics, has just done an interesting test.

    Steaming and frothing milk with a $20,000 KVDW machine versus a $5 contraption from Ikea.

    Worth a look for a bit of fun:


    https://www.instagram.com/tv/BzlehoD...d=naoddxbaokw2

  2. #2
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,292
    Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Spotted this on the Gram.

    Dritan Alsela, who many of you may be familiar with for his lever machine antics, has just done an interesting test.

    Steaming and frothing milk with a $20,000 KVDW machine versus a $5 contraption from Ikea.

    Worth a look for a bit of fun:


    https://www.instagram.com/tv/BzlehoD...d=naoddxbaokw2
    Perhaps people who have dramas steaming would be better served using a $5 contraption.

    Certainly underscores the poor tradesman blames his tools philosophy.

    Haven't seen him before, doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    7,292
    Did a search for Dritan Alsela and came up with this video.

    The guy certainly knows his stuff, and is obviously more than a one trick pony, love his workflow.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast QLD
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Did a search for Dritan Alsela and came up with this video.

    The guy certainly knows his stuff, and is obviously more than a one trick pony, love his workflow.
    As a single group lever user I have what could be described as a no faffing around workflow but this is next level barista'ing

    Love it - That's some classic footage.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Senior Member woodhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391
    yeah but can that little red thing texture milk for 1000 coffees a day? I had a laugh

    never had issues with microwaving the milk in a latte glass and dumping the shot on top of it. steaming milk at home is way overrated.
    matth3wh likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    444
    Dritan is a very down to earth person with a genuine passion for coffee. His videos are very educational and contain heaps of tips on technique and workflow. He was very impressive at pumping out coffees on his lever machine.

    When moving house I was without a machine until I was able to plumb mine in and get all the filtration in place. To maintain the coffee habit, I followed his videos on stove top espresso and plunger frothing to make very nice coffees. He shows that anyone can have good coffee at home without too much expense. Heating milk up on the stove and aerating it via a plunger will make an acceptable product, and even produce some latte art.

    Coffee made his way is superior to what you get out of the pod machines, and is aimed at educating people. As to taste, I still find steamed milk from my espresso machine is a lot tastier and sweeter than that produced via the stove and plunger.

    Check out some of his other videos, they really are worth watching.

  7. #7
    Senior Member matth3wh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Posts
    1,008

    $5 v $20,000 steamer

    Love his videos.

    Coffee for the every man / woman... definitely money equalising tips great for home and some for cafes.

    Some particularly useful tips and technique to practice latte art with pinch of coffee powder and pour in to cup and reuse without wasting milk.

    Iíve seen Jibbi Little using this a bit too.

    Save money. Donít waste coffee and milk. Donít have an espresso machine. No worries. You can still practice with a jug and a French press / stove top heating / microwave. Or practice with frothed dish washing liquid drop in water.



    It certainly helps Dritanís work flow that he only serves full cream milk.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    30
    That's an exquisite flow...
    Unfortunately anywhere around me the order would have been 1 soy latte, 1 cap with almond milk, 1 skim flat white with hazelnut syrup, a chai latte and a cold brew!

    I really sympathise for anyone trying to be a barista these days!

    [QUOTE=Yelta;655650]Did a search for Dritan Alsela and came up with this video.

    The guy certainly knows his stuff, and is obviously more than a one trick pony, love his workflow.
    [/QUOTE
    Ronin likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    616
    Almond mugachino please, but just in a cup.
    For any barista used to high volume making a string of same milk orders is easy workflow.
    Dritan is a great guy.
    matth3wh likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    725
    Side topic, talking about full cream and skim milk, say in a busy cafe environment where customers are queued up to the door waiting for their coffee, can anyone really tell the difference if the barista uses skim milk for their regular latte order or if they use full cream for their skim latte order? I know most will vehemently deny doing that but can anyone really tell if they did? At home when you're tasting the coffee side by side you can definitely tell (I hate skim milk in coffee) but when all you're getting is a coffee in a take away cup (or keepcup..) can people really tell?

  11. #11
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by NewToEspresso View Post
    Side topic, talking about full cream and skim milk, say in a busy cafe environment where customers are queued up to the door waiting for their coffee, can anyone really tell the difference if the barista uses skim milk for their regular latte order or if they use full cream for their skim latte order? I know most will vehemently deny doing that but can anyone really tell if they did? At home when you're tasting the coffee side by side you can definitely tell (I hate skim milk in coffee) but when all you're getting is a coffee in a take away cup (or keepcup..) can people really tell?
    Generally yes....particularly if you've had coffee from that cafe before. I drink both full cream and skim milk at various times though. There's a difference in texture as well as taste.

  12. #12
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,896
    A number of people who drink skim milk do so because full cream is too "heavy" in their stomachs. If they can't taste it immediately they'll soon feel it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    A number of people who drink skim milk do so because full cream is too "heavy" in their stomachs. If they can't taste it immediately they'll soon feel it.
    I thought it might have been more the other way round.... I'm partially lactose intolerant so my tummy doesn't take too kindly to excessive amounts of steamed milk or melted cheese. Milk and cheese on its own is ok but when it gets heated up something changes and if the milk is steamed too hot I will react to it. I won't react as easily to full cream but I find it doesn't take much for me to react to skim. I suspect they add more sugar/lactose when they remove the fat...

  14. #14
    Senior Member level3ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by NewToEspresso View Post
    I thought it might have been more the other way round.... I'm partially lactose intolerant so my tummy doesn't take too kindly to excessive amounts of steamed milk or melted cheese. Milk and cheese on its own is ok but when it gets heated up something changes and if the milk is steamed too hot I will react to it. I won't react as easily to full cream but I find it doesn't take much for me to react to skim. I suspect they add more sugar/lactose when they remove the fat...
    They don't add more, but by removing the fat the overall percentage of lactose is higher in skim milk.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Maddingley
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by SanderP View Post
    As a single group lever user I have what could be described as a no faffing around workflow but this is next level barista'ing

    Love it - That's some classic footage.

    Cheers
    The only thing that had me stumped with that video is that there is pretty much no pre-infusion. Maybe it’s the first time I’ve noticed but is that standard in cafes?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •