Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse

Thread: Gumption

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    723

    Gumption

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    For those Snobs working in the Sydney CBD, Gumption in the Strand Arcade has opened. It's run by the same crew as Coffee Alchemy in Marrickville. Three group Synesso Hydra at the front, what looks like a Linea at the back (without any LM markings). A mix of Roburs and Anfim Super Caimanos.

    The best double ristretto I've ever had came from Coffee Alchemy, and the SO Guatemalan that I had today was superb. Good times.

    Had a great chat with the owner. They're not yet using any pressure profiling on their Hydra, she's been working on the roasting of the Guatemalan to improve body yet retain finesse and control acidity.
    Last edited by kwantfm; 9th December 2013 at 12:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    723
    A few tidbits:
    - Use 22 g VST baskets - wouldn't provide details on dosing technique ;-) ;
    - Have four roasters - Probat electric sample roaster (not yet used), Proaster two-barrel gas sample roaster, 15 kg Giesen, 30 kg Probat;
    - Recently roasted Ninety Plus Nekisse - looking forward to seeing this as a single origin espresso.

    Hazel is good fun to chat with.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    A few tidbits:
    - Use 22 g VST baskets - wouldn't provide details on dosing technique ;-) ;
    Is that for their normal 150ml cups? Or is that for their 8oz take away cups?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by Draeger View Post
    Is that for their normal 150ml cups? Or is that for their 8oz take away cups?
    I take my coffee as espresso or ristretto so don't know the answer...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    For those Snobs working in the Sydney CBD, Gumption in the Strand Arcade has opened. It's run by the same crew as Coffee Alchemy in Marrickville. Three group Synesso Hydra at the front, what looks like a Linea at the back (without any LM markings). A mix of Roburs and Anfim Super Caimanos.

    The best double ristretto I've ever had came from Coffee Alchemy, and the SO Guatemalan that I had today was superb. Good times.

    Had a great chat with the owner. They're not yet using any pressure profiling on their Hydra, she's been working on the roasting of the Guatemalan to improve body yet retain finesse and control acidity.
    Bit of a thread revival, popped in there today (found them via bean hunter as we were close by). Didnt have alot of time to chat to the batistas as the shop was pretty busy...
    Coffee was very nice hoping to pop back in for a 2nd shot and some better tatsing notes and maybe some beans before we leave the city..

  6. #6
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by GTiRolla View Post
    Didnt have alot of time to chat to the batistas as the shop was pretty busy...

    And I thought that Castro got rid of all of them!
    sprezzatura likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •