Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Goin Cruisin

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Goin Cruisin

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all. Just booked a 7 night cruise from Brisbane to the islands of Noumea and Vila. As this is my first cruise i was wondering if any fellow CSs have been on this tour or similar, and if they could share some advice or experiences, opinions would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Greg

  2. #2
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,113

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Quote Originally Posted by 6D584F4D1E1B2A0 link=1261397691/0#0 date=1261397691
    Hi all. Just booked a 7 night cruise from Brisbane to the islands of Noumea and Vila. As this is my first cruise i was wondering if any fellow CSs have been on this tour or similar, and if they could share some advice or experiences, opinions would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Greg
    Yes have gone on several
    For me its a combination of
    Great Food
    Great entertainment
    Good people to meet
    Great staff to look after you
    Choose to do as little or as much as one wants

    Enjoy

    P.S. I am also going in April

    KK

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Thanks KK that sounds great. Thats when im going as well. April 24th. well thats a coincidence. I hope there is good coffee on board?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lovey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    South Coast NSW
    Posts
    837

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Quote Originally Posted by 6A5F484A191C2D0 link=1261397691/2#2 date=1261399146
    I hope there is good coffee on board?
    Dont hold your breath.
    I went on a cruise about 4 years ago and I didnt even bother after seeing the coffee bar at the rear of the ship. The grinder hopper and doser were left full overnight. The humidity wouldnt have helped either, as it was being sprayed with salt water from the cyclonic winds or being rained on, depending what day it was :-/.
    I can highly recommend the beer and cocktails though 8-).
    Youll enjoy yourself on the cruise, and youll never be bored as theres so much to do.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Quote Originally Posted by 7D5E475448310 link=1261397691/3#3 date=1262134819
    Quote Originally Posted by 6A5F484A191C2D0 link=1261397691/2#2 date=1261399146
    I hope there is good coffee on board? *
    Dont hold your breath.
    I went on a cruise about 4 years ago and I didnt even bother after seeing the coffee bar at the rear of the ship. The grinder hopper and doser were left full overnight. The humidity wouldnt have helped either, as it was being sprayed with salt water from the cyclonic winds or being rained on, depending what day it was *:-/.
    I can highly recommend the beer and cocktails though 8-).
    Youll enjoy yourself on the cruise, and youll never be bored as theres so much to do.
    Thanks for that Lovey. I thought as much. You would of thought such a massive ship worth billions would have decent coffee on board. Ill just have to take my little Kyocera grinder and Aeropress. Ill take your recommendation of beer and cocktails though. ;)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    22

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Have to agree dont expect too much in the way of good coffee. Ive worked for several 5 star cruise lines and been on many cruises for work!! - my one compliant is the coffee is woeful - I tend to be safe and drink tea on board.

    Enjoy your cruise!!
    Julie

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Thanks Julie. I do like my tea as well but generally at night. But i envision that i will NEED coffee especially in the morning after Loveys recommended beer and cocktails. :)

    since you have worked on cruises id imagine that would be the last place you would go on holidays?

    cheers

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    22

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Ah no I work here in Melbourne in Sales so look forward to actually getting on a ship to see first hand what Ive been talking about to travel agents and learning about myself. My ideal holiday would be either a Med cruise or a cruise along the Inside Passage to Alaska, the Baltics also are on the list!. Ive done several coastal cruises around Australia and NZ and have been lucky enough to do a cruise to Antarctica that was just awesome. BUT have to say even if its a 3,4 or 5 star ship - the coffee is poor!

    The cocktails are generally good and cheaper than you expect!!

    Have fun - youll have to let us all know how it goes.

    Julie

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Many years ago i worked for Ansett in the In flight catering and your right i never got sick of flying or travelling as each journey is a different experience. Its one of those things that once you experience it you get the bug. I havent traveled since leaving Ansett ten years ago and this trip cant come soon enough. I definitely will let all know how it goes.

    Greg

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    22

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Ah Ansett now that brings back memories!! You are right once you have the travel bug there is no getting rid of it. Ive been in the industry now for 28 years and I suffer withdrawal sysmptoms if I dont get away every now and then. My husband is not so interested in overseas travel so often I just head away without him for a little adventure and I do still get to travel for work so that gives me a fix every now and then. There are so many places in the world just waiting for us to explore.......better start planning the next trip!!

    Which ship are you cruising on?

    Julie

  11. #11
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    I also used to work for Ansett way back when. Hard to believe it is 8 years since the collapse.

    We had some great travels and some stories that you can only get from travelling sub-load. How else could you manage to get stuck in Raratonga for 2 days on your way back from Hawaii?

    Our first overseas trip as full-fare paying passengers in 2003 was quite an odd feeling.

    Great times, right up to the part when Air NZ got involved.

    Brett.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    22

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Hi Greg,

    I went on the same cruise as you are going on but i went last year.

    The best thing i can tell you is make sure you drink only bottled water.

    I learnt the hard way :)

    You will have a blast all the entertainment on board was great, especially the comedians.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Quote Originally Posted by 68574E4B476D220 link=1261397691/9#9 date=1262579868
    My husband is not so interested in overseas travel so often I just head away without him for a little adventure and I do still get to travel for work so that gives me a fix every now and then. There are so many places in the world just waiting for us to explore.......better start planning the next trip!!

    Which ship are you cruising on?
    Not interested in overseas travel! been there done that has he? i suppose its not for everyone. There were people i worked with at Ansett that had been in the industry for 30 odd years and had never travelled o.s.
    Im travelling on the Pacific Dawn out of Brisbane
    Quote Originally Posted by 444356404D5B7D131B1B1B220 link=1261397691/10#10 date=1262580968
    We had some great travels and some stories that you can only get from travelling sub-load. How else could you manage to get stuck in Raratonga for 2 days on your way back from Hawaii?
    Yep travelling on waitlist was the only drawback. Not so bad on your own as you could travel in the jumpseat with the pilots if it was alright by them. I suppose post 9/11 that is not allowed now?
    Quote Originally Posted by 524B585843404D5B7D4357220 link=1261397691/11#11 date=1262581613
    Re: Goin Cruisin
    Reply #11 - Today at 16:06* Hi Greg,

    I went on the same cruise as you are going on but i went last year.

    The best thing i can tell you is make sure you drink only bottled water.

    I learnt the hard way *

    You will have a blast all the entertainment on board was great, especially the comedians.
    Thanks for that tip whocares. Get Delhi belly did you? was there any big name comedians you saw?

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    22

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Hi Greg,

    I get sea sick whenever i get on boats that are not catamarans, so i took some sea sickness tablets with me. I drank the water onboard that comes out of the tap and i got really sick the first 2 days.

    Once i stopped drinking the water from the tap and drank bottled water i was alot better and actually did not need to use the sea sickness tablets anymore.

    There where no big name comedians that i remember, but none the less they where quite funny.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    202

    Re: Goin Cruisin

    Quote Originally Posted by 3D2437372C2F2234122C384D0 link=1261397691/13#13 date=1262659017
    Hi Greg,

    I get sea sick whenever i get on boats that are not catamarans, so i took some sea sickness tablets with me. I drank the water onboard that comes out of the tap and i got really sick the first 2 days.

    Once i stopped drinking the water from the tap and drank bottled water i was alot better and actually did not need to use the sea sickness tablets anymore.

    There where no big name comedians that i remember, but none the less they where quite funny.
    When i was about 12 i went on a Fishing trip off Cairns and it was that rough you could hear the motor screaming everytime the propeller was out of the water coming down a wave. I was very ill most of the day and didnt even fish. Ever since then i had no desire to get in a boat that went 2km offshore. so i will be popping those tablets just in case.
    I might take one of those filtered water jugs with me also.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Traralgon, Vic
    Posts
    236
    Bump!
    We have booked a cruise to New Zealand on the Dawn Princess, I'm not expecting great coffee on board, so does anyone know if there is a way of getting boiled water for the AeroPress & Kyocera? Also are there any problems with taking beans on board (I would ditch any leftovers on return) I am hoping to get to visit a couple of the CS recommended cafes while ashore.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Posts
    133
    I'm not familiar with the Dawn Princess, so this might be off a bit - please treat it as general.

    You should be able to get reasonably hot but not boiling water from the brew points or the coffee dispensers near the buffet on the Lido deck and take this back to your stateroom. If you can get your hands on a vessel larger than the mugs provided you might be able to keep it hotter (larger mass) on the way. If it's not hot enough you could take your gear to the Lido deck, but expect some quizzical and/or jealous looks. There may be other points where you can get hot water also.

    Most if not all of the espresso machines on board will be automatics, but if you're lucky there may be a decent machine, and if you're really lucky someone who actually knows how to drive it, in one of the lounges. Try the enclosed observation lounge forward, if there is one.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Traralgon, Vic
    Posts
    236
    Thanks Banjo,
    I'll keep that in mind and pack the insulated travel mugs, I'd probably be game enough to brew in public, just as long as the Captain doesn't threaten to throw me overboard



Similar Threads

  1. Gone Crotchless and I dont think Im goin back!
    By tim in forum Brewing Equipment (non-machine specific)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 6th March 2006, 10:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •