Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Time for a new server?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    125

    Time for a new server?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Is it just me or does coffeesnobs.com.au load/refresh v. slowly for others?

    the bulletin board interface works well, but sometimes the glacial speed with which Im forced to browse through aggravates me no end...

    aggravated squirrel

  2. #2
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4947435E4249582C0 link=1262925788/0#0 date=1262925788
    Is it just me or does coffeesnobs.com.au load/refresh v. slowly for others?

    the bulletin board interface works well, but sometimes the glacial speed with which Im forced to browse through aggravates me no end...

    aggravated squirrel
    I think its probably you squirrel. Lightning fast for me on a new machine and ADSL 2+

    Might be time for a rebuild or to have a close look at whats actually coming down the pipe from your ISP :-?

    2mcm

  3. #3
    Senior Member redzone121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Same here Squirel, it slowed down noticably about middle of last year. Have a resonably new high spec set up/connection etc and CS is the only site that runs slow for me, very slow at times.

    Chris

  4. #4
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Im only on ADSL 1 and it doesnt go slow.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    125

    Re: Time for a new server?

    A variety of opinions here...

    ... dont think it can possibly be my setup since its equally slow from home and work and both are v. capable connections...

    ...perhaps its a subjective thing and Im just impatient...

    ...either way not the end of the world. just felt like a bit of a whinge and the opportunity to describe something as glacial...

    ...people should describe things as glacial more often, just for the heck of it... and more ellipses... definitely more ellipses... ... ... ................

  6. #6
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Maybe you should try some decaf.

  7. #7
    A_M
    A_M is offline
    Guest
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,381

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0C302D363C3D2A3F373C580 link=1262925788/5#5 date=1262931826
    Maybe you should try some decaf.
    giggled like a schoolgirl... Meanwhile... *caffeinated squirrel goes looking for a name change de-caffeinated squirrel

    Opps... Would then loose his fluffy tail... Thus becoming just another a large rodent :P ;D :D ;)

  8. #8
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,295

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5344455B4E4F44101310210 link=1262925788/2#2 date=1262926702
    Same here Squirel, it slowed down noticably about middle of last year.
    This is most likely due to peoples outdated/broken links to their icons since the big yabb update. Its not due to a slow CS server but rather because your browser is attempting to download an image from a bad link. Many users and even some sponsors have not properly updated their icon links. This causes the entire page to appear to load slowly as your browser freezes until the links time out. It can also take time to grab the current ranking from the CoffeeHits site, especially during peak times for them.

    The CS server and connection is nice and fast. Its the broken links and slow external sites that are holding things up.

    Weve also become a much heavier graphical site in the last year with significantly larger images now allowed. This will obviously slow things down for those not on a fat pipe.


    Java "Picture it!" phile

  9. #9
    Senior Member redzone121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4A6176617068696C65000 link=1262925788/7#7 date=1262936432
    This is most likely due to peoples outdated/broken links to their icons since the big yabb update. Its not due to a slow CS server but rather because your browser is attempting to download an image from a bad link. Many users and even some sponsors have not properly updated their icon links. This causes the entire page to appear to load slowly as your browser freezes until the links time out. It can also take time to grab the current ranking from the CoffeeHits site, especially during peak times for them.

    The CS server and connection is nice and fast. Its the broken links and slow external sites that are holding things up.

    So in english for us dummies whats the fix from our end :)

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,295

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Quote Originally Posted by 617677697C7D76222122130 link=1262925788/8#8 date=1262936630
    So in english for us dummies whats the fix from our end
    About the only thing you could do would be to shorten your browsers time out period. If it allows you to do so. Most (running in Windows) will require you to manually make changes to your registry. Not something thats recommended for dummies. :)


    Java "If you dont know what youre doing dont touch the registry!" phile

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    125

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6D465146574F4E4B42270 link=1262925788/9#9 date=1262937127
    Quote Originally Posted by 617677697C7D76222122130 link=1262925788/8#8 date=1262936630
    So in english for us dummies whats the fix from our end *
    About the only thing you could do would be to shorten your browsers time out period. If it allows you to do so. Most (running in Windows) will require you to manually make changes to your registry. Not something thats recommended for dummies. :)


    Java "If you dont know what youre doing dont touch the registry!" phile
    Java "do you know anything about safari on macs?" Phile

    are you familiar with any fixes for this issue for those of us who are apple inclined?

    Because it sounds like it could be the issue Im experiencing

    and TG - as AM pointed out, what good is a squirrel without caffeine and a fluffy tail?!

    Caffeinated (for life) Squirrel

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    502

    Re: Time for a new server?

    only time ive seen the site get the go slows is when im capped... which seems to be quite often lately

  13. #13
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,286

    Re: Time for a new server?

    I run Safari on a Mac, and while the site was slow a while ago (I cant remember exactly when--it could be as above) it is fine now.

    You might try emptying your cache (in the Safari menu).

    Greg

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,295

    Re: Time for a new server?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7876726F7378691D0 link=1262925788/10#10 date=1262944078
    Java "do you know anything about safari on macs?" Phile

    are you familiar with any fixes for this issue for those of us who are apple inclined?

    Because it sounds like it could be the issue Im experiencing
    Not offhand no. A search of the net should provide you with an answer though. :)


    Java "Search engines are your friends!" phile

  15. #15
    Senior Member redzone121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: Time for a new server?

    redzone"happy to wait"phile



Similar Threads

  1. Server Rack.
    By kotaro in forum Paid Forward - Taken
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th March 2012, 03:58 PM
  2. CS is now on a new web server... WooHoo
    By Andy in forum General News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th November 2006, 06:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •