Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Favourite tipple

  1. #1
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,995

    Favourite tipple

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    OK, continuing this thread which is too far off-topic to continue as Kopi Luwak related

    As far as stout goes, I havent tried many that I really like but at the 1988 World Expo in Brisbane, I sampled some Guinness on tap from the irish pub pavilion (of course). It was so smooth, I havent tasted better since. Guinness must be poured from the tap - canned stuff doesnt rate and bottled is only a little better.

    Drinking alcohol is a bit of an ambiance thing for me. I enjoy a drink every now and then but there seems to be times and places when it seems to go down so much better. The Thai Singha beer tastes pretty ordinary when Ive bought it here, but tasted great when I was in Thailand. The best beer I have ever enjoyed was a Chinese no-name wheat beer I bought in a market in some town north of HCM City (1993). A long neck cost me about AU50c but I was pretty hot and thirsty at the time.

    Wine can be like that too. BTW, if for some reason you dont finish a bottle of red how do you store it. Ive been putting mine in the fridge and letting it reach room tempo before drinking.

  2. #2
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Try squeezing all the air out and putting it in the freezer.

    Hang on.........is that for red wine?

    Expo 88?
    I dont remember seeing you there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Hmmm - Expo 88. I was there too! Should have said hello.
    I was the big guy eating Bangers and Mash at the English Pub.

    Had the family over for a late Christmas dinner last night, so I opened a nice Penfolds Thomas Hyland 2002 Cab Sav.

    It was a gift a few years back, so we decided to give it a go. Very smooth and enjoyable.

    If you do not finish your bottle of red, youre not taking it seriously!

    Normally, we just put one of those air stoppers in the bottle and try to finish it off the next night. If not, it usually (no matter how cheap/expensive it was) gets used in a cooking dish. Beef stew or pasta sauce as a rule.

  4. #4
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Left over wine?

    I saw an apron while shopping last week.
    It said "Im dreaming of a white Christmas and after I finish the whites Im starting on the reds."

  5. #5
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,995

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1230686384/0#3 date=1230687526
    Left over wine?

    I saw an apron while shopping last week.
    It said "Im dreaming of a white Christmas and after I finish the whites Im starting on the reds."

    ...which reminds me of a joke along the lines of:

    I was reading something that said if you want to feel better about yourself, then find something you can *finish.

    Well this morning I finished a 6 pack of Boag, a bottle of single malt and a couple of joints and, I can tell, you Im feeling real good now!

    I used to use the air stoppers but I find it kills the flavour.

    Perhaps "if you remember Expo 88, you werent there" applies???


    Yeah, my wife only drinks a splash of wine and Im no longer able to finish the rest of the bottle without consequences.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    539

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by flynn_aus link=1230686384/0#0 date=1230686384
    BTW, if for some reason you dont finish a bottle of red how do you store it. Ive been putting mine in the fridge and letting it reach room tempo before drinking.
    Yep, that works well providing you are only keeping it for a few days. If you can, put the remainder in to a smaller bottle so there is less air space, then it will last longer. It also depends on if you want it to evole or not. ie. if its a fairly young, tannic red, it will usually improve by the next day stored in the original bottle (so there is some air space) at room temperature.

    If you know beforehand that you will only drink half the bottle, as soon as you open the bottle pour half out in to a 375ml screwcap bottle, right to the brim so there is no air space, and screw the top on and put in the fridge. It will last for a fair while stored like that.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    505

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill link=1230686384/0#5 date=1230689821
    Quote Originally Posted by flynn_aus link=1230686384/0#0 date=1230686384
    BTW, if for some reason you dont finish a bottle of red how do you store it. Ive been putting mine in the fridge and letting it reach room tempo before drinking.
    Yep, that works well providing you are only keeping it for a few days. If you can, put the remainder in to a smaller bottle so there is less air space, then it will last longer. It also depends on if you want it to evole or not. ie. if its a fairly young, tannic red, it will usually improve by the next day stored in the original bottle (so there is some air space) at room temperature.

    If you know beforehand that you will only drink half the bottle, as soon as you open the bottle pour half out in to a 375ml screwcap bottle, right to the brim so there is no air space, and screw the top on and put in the fridge. It will last for a fair while stored like that.
    Or you could use that vacuum pump thingy. You know, the thing that people told you to buy to keep roasted beans fresher for longer and now you better, you dont use any more.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    539

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by bassway link=1230686384/0#6 date=1230691446
    Or you could use that vacuum pump thingy. You know, the thing that people told you to buy to keep roasted beans fresher for longer and now you better, you dont use any more.
    Well in the wine world, as in the coffee world, there are mixed opinions as to whether those strip off some of the volitiles from the wine or not. However, many winery cellar doors use them so they obviously dont have those concerns. But in any case, putting the leftover wine in to a smaller bottle, so there is little air space, does keep the wine fresher for longer than the vacuum things do.

  9. #9
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,995

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Thanks Bill

    I remember the article I read advising storing in the fridge also mentioned putting into a smaller bottle to reduce air contact. I will have to buy a half bottle of red for that purpose. I always try to finish a bottle within 3 days
    Or you could use that vacuum pump thingy.
    That is what I was referring to when I said "I used to use the air stoppers but I find it kills the flavour. " *To my palate, there is a definite loss of something and I stopped using the one I have.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    623

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy link=1230686384/0#2 date=1230687305
    If not, it usually (no matter how cheap/expensive it was) gets used in a cooking dish. Beef stew or pasta sauce as a rule.
    If its no good to drink, its no good in cooking.

    Seeing as its hot and humid here and the seafood is plentiful Ive been trying some whites that I normally wouldnt. Had a great surprise from a Howling Wolf Semmilon Sav yesterday, normally wouldnt touch semillons. Not overly sweet nor dry considering. My all time favorite white is Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc with a close second to Stoneleigh Savignon Blanc. Both great for this time of year.

  11. #11
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1230686384/0#9 date=1230697479
    If its no good to drink, its no good in cooking.
    No, I disagree with that.
    Its tantamount to the belief that if a certain coffee is no good as an espresso, then it is no good as any other style.

    Ive had some wines that were OK as a drink but did a very good job in the dish.

    Also, dont confuse cheap with bad. Not always the case (or half case).

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Mmmm Expo 88 I forgot more than I remembered but the German Beer Hall was fun also the Rum Distillery at Beenliegh got a hammering as a young Engineering Student with about 12 more of his mates on the loose from a Victorian winter ;D

    As to Tipple a good single malt (Glenfidich for general) or a Coopers Pale for summer currently sinking number 3 :)

    Flynn you want to try some of my cookies by the sound of it with your coffee ;)

  13. #13
    Senior Member flynnaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,995

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by beanflying link=1230686384/0#11 date=1230709224
    Mmmm Expo 88 I forgot more than I remembered but the German Beer Hall was fun also the Rum Distillery at Beenliegh got a hammering as a young Engineering Student with about 12 more of his mates on the loose from a Victorian winter ;D

    As to Tipple a good single malt (Glenfidich for general) or a Coopers Pale for summer currently sinking number 3 :)

    Flynn you want to try some of my cookies by the sound of it with your coffee ;)
    Sounds tempting BF. Ill bring the single malt :)

    Coopers brings back very fond memories - I remember my first taste of this at a bar called The Boot and Flogger in Canberra in 1980, then off to see one of my all time favourite bands, Magazine.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    273

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by flynn_aus link=1230686384/0#0 date=1230686384
    OK, continuing this thread which is too far off-topic to continue as Kopi Luwak related

    The Thai Singha beer tastes pretty ordinary when Ive bought it here, but tasted great when I was in Thailand.
    Wine can be like that too. BTW, if for some reason you dont finish a bottle of red how do you store it. Ive been putting mine in the fridge and letting it reach room tempo before drinking.
    In thailand you would have been in the best of moods which will always make a drink be top notch, which is why when my FIL opens a good bottle of wine, usually when on holidays or birthdays etc, he waits till all the grandkids are in bed and everybodys chilling out so it can be properly enjoyed in the right frame of mind.

    The other BIG problem might be explained on the back of the label. Over the last 5 - 10 years australian breweries have been buying the rights to brew certain beers over here so maybe what you probably paid import price for was more like glorified XXXX dog urine.

    Its one of the biggest con jobs going because unless use read the fine print on the back of the label they make the cartons and bottles look exactly the same as the import and charge you import prices. They sholud all be clearly labeled on the front of the bottles/cartons. *It would have been about 7 or so years ago I found a beer called Kingfisher (from India) that I and the FIL really liked so we went halves in a carton as it was about $75 and its was one of the best beers i had ever had. About 2 years later my FIL saw them on sale for $62 so picked up another carton and when the friday night dinner came around he gave me a glass and after the first sip it didnt taste as I remembered. After i finished he asked if I liked it and when I said it was different he turned the label around in the fine print the three worst possible words.....

    Brewed Under Licence.

    If youve drank Guinness over here in the last 20 years more than likely its made here andsame goes for stella. Others are Becks,Heineken,Kirin,Kronenbourg,Carlsberg,Steinla ger, Amstel and Kingfisher to name a few. They also control some other brands and have them brewed in different country again.

    Sorry for the rant.... Pet Hate

    With wine I just do the same as you cork or screwcap back on and back in the fridge for the next night. People like Gary Walsh who get paid to taste wine all do the same thing and thats enough for me. Im on my second glass of Elderton Shiraz 02 and must admit its better now that the air has got to it for half an hour in the glass.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    539

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarg link=1230686384/0#13 date=1230719345
    Im on my second glass of Elderton Shiraz 02 and must admit its better now that the air has got to it for half an hour in the glass.
    Cool. I had a Majella Cab Sav 00, which is drinking very very nicely now with a bit of age on it. And finished off with a Penfolds Grandfather Port.

    Happy New Year everyone!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    439

    Re: Favourite tipple

    About one week ago I was listening to ABC Local radio where Alan Brough was talking to a wine expert (cant remember his name). *Among many things they talked about, the wine guy said a recent study showed that playing certain types of music while drinking wine, *enhanced (or detracted from) the enjoyment of the wine. *Certain music went with certain wines, he said. For instance, when drinking bubbly, light classical or jazz should be played. A big gutsy cab sav - who knows?- ACDC maybe.

    Anyway, I dont know if its true or not, but its given me an idea for a party (or an excuse for one). Line up the different wines and drink them while playing various music styles. All in the name of science, of course!

  17. #17
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Favourite tipple

    I heard some of that interview too.

    He said that one experiment played several different types of music to people drinking the same wine and they perceived a different taste as the music was changed.

    I agree on the differen taste of beer depending on where its brewed.
    I dont know where they brew the Carlsberg beer you buy in Cyprus but it tastes a damned sight better than it does here.

  18. #18
    Senior Member GregWormald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,286

    Re: Favourite tipple

    For the last while Ive been partial to a nice white sparkling--not real Champagne--the French stuff I like has got real pricey!

    My current favourites are Bird in Hand, and Deutz Marlborough Cuvee (NZ).

    Ive also had a very nice sparkling red, the only one Ive liked in a long time. It was a small batch of cleanskins--no longer available! :(

    Im currently in the process of finishing the last of a duty-free bottle of Dewars Black Label. Havent seen this locally either, although I doubt I could afford it very often. In Changi Airport it was the same price as bargain Dewars here!

    Greg

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    539

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by GregWormald link=1230686384/0#17 date=1230778664
    For the last while Ive been partial to a nice white sparkling--not real Champagne--the French stuff I like has got real pricey!

    My current favourites are Bird in Hand, and Deutz Marlborough Cuvee (NZ).
    Bindi make a very nice one, but youre unlikely to find that at the local shop. I ordered mine from the winery.


    Quote Originally Posted by GregWormald link=1230686384/0#17 date=1230778664
    Ive also had a very nice sparkling red, the only one Ive liked in a long time. It was a small batch of cleanskins--no longer available! *:(
    Majella make a nice sparkling shiraz, as do Seppelt.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    273

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1230686384/0#16 date=1230767491
    I agree on the differen taste of beer depending on where its brewed.
    I dont know where they brew the Carlsberg beer you buy in Cyprus but it tastes a damned sight better than it does here.
    Carlsberg is brewed here by fosters (or LN im sure its fosters though) which is why its not remotely comparable the the original.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    273

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill link=1230686384/0#14 date=1230734450
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarg link=1230686384/0#13 date=1230719345
    Im on my second glass of Elderton Shiraz 02 and must admit its better now that the air has got to it for half an hour in the glass.
    Cool. I had a Majella Cab Sav 00, which is drinking very very nicely now with a bit of age on it. And finished off with a Penfolds Grandfather Port.

    Happy New Year everyone!!!
    Ive got an 05 Majella put away for safe keeping.

    The Elderton definatly didnt hold up over night in the fridge, that second glass last night was the best. The recommended time for cellering on the bottle was 5 - 10 so its at seven now which might explain why. Also I should have gave it a decant as the was alot of crud in the glass (i didnt finish it as there was HEAPS) which also would go aways to explaining the difference.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    25

    Re: Favourite tipple

    In January last year we went to the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen. I enjoyed the beer. The Carlsberg in Oz doesnt taste anything like it. I did like the varieties of Carlsberg in Denmark too.

  23. #23
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,544
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Favourite tipple


    I guess you dont need an esky for beer in Denmark in January!


  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Seems that we need to buy some of the overseas brews in as the local made guiness tastes lousy compared with the real thing.

    to many Coopers tonight ;) Night all

  25. #25
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665

    Re: Favourite tipple

    ;D FWIW, I chanced on a carton of real imported Becks as compared to the Lion Nathan product usually sold in Oz as Becks...

    The imported drop had little (if anything) in common with local stuff....other than the fact that the bottles were the same and the contents were wet.

    The real Becks is pretty impressive!

    Chris

  26. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    25

    Re: Favourite tipple

    I guess you dont need an esky for beer in Denmark in January!

    You are so right Andy! We had a table out the back door of the family we were staying with. Whenever you need a beverage or two you would just lean out the door and help yourself. The New Years Day tradition was to sample beer from different countries. We started at 10.00 am by 6.00 pm I went to bed and slept very well. But again those beers we sampled which are available here dont taste the same. I would agree with Chris a real Becks is great but the "under licence" are not the same.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    539

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by meginoz5000 link=1230686384/20#25 date=1230932327
    I would agree with Chris a real Becks is great but the "under licence" *are not the same.
    Makes you wonder why they are issued with the licence to brew it if they cant make it the same. Why would a company want their reputation ruined by someone selling inferior products under their name??!! Seems very strange to me.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    437

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Red: Kaesler Shiraz (Barossa), Chateau Tanunda Shiraz 2004 (Barossa), Cathcart Ridge Shiraz 2004 (Grampians)
    White: debatable, depends on the meal
    Dessert: Marlborough region Ice Wine (NZ)
    Cocktail: current faves, sweet: Raffles Singapore Sling, sour: Muddled Lime and Passionfruit Vodka Caprioska
    Beer: yet to be converted to any beer.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Port Fairy
    Posts
    2,993

    Re: Favourite tipple

    If you want to try a Beer for a non beer drinker go a Cold Wheat Beer with a wedge of lemon on a hot day (Corona maybe as well). The Redback from WA is good or there is a few speciality ones around as well. They are generally very clean and crisp with a lighter flavour than a more normal beer.

    AVOID anything CUB or TOOHEYS you will never want to try a beer again :) They are the same as instant is to fresh roasted beans.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    439

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Intellidepth link=1230686384/20#27 date=1230970428
    Beer: yet to be converted to any beer.
    You should try some of the Belgian beers. The Framboise (raspberry)or Kriek (cherry) might be to your taste.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    273

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Quote Originally Posted by Intellidepth link=1230686384/20#27 date=1230970428
    Red: Kaesler Shiraz (Barossa), Chateau Tanunda Shiraz 2004 (Barossa), Cathcart Ridge Shiraz 2004 (Grampians)
    White: debatable, depends on the meal
    Dessert: Marlborough region Ice Wine (NZ)
    Cocktail: current faves, sweet: Raffles Singapore Sling, sour: Muddled Lime and Passionfruit Vodka Caprioska
    Beer: yet to be converted to any beer.
    Since you like your wines go to DM and grab a four pack of Knappstien lager, exy as buggery $20 for a 330ml 4 pack and i think I got a carton on special for $56, very floral and fruity or pepperjack beer which is aslo fruity and actually has a small portion of shiraz in it.

    They might just be a beer you like.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    273

    Re: Favourite tipple

    For all my rating I didnt put my favourite up.

    Wine : Torzi Matthews Frost Dodger Shiraz $30. For me the best shiraz under $50, though im still looking and ive got a few that im hoping will come close. If you can find any Frost dodgers left at a DM grab them and you can probably get 06s online at places like auswine, boccaccio, winestar or probably from the Torzi Matthews website.

    Beer : Standard every day beer usually alternates between Pure Blonde or Corona. Asahis good but is brewed under licence in Thailand. I like to try heaps of different beers from small brewries and also some genuine imports too.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    539

    Re: Favourite tipple

    If anyone here likes fortifieds, I just had a Buller Calliope Rare Tokay tonight, and all I can say is WOW!!! Itís fairly pricey, but geez......itís just out-of-this-world - absolutely extraordinary!!

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    846

    Re: Favourite tipple

    Unfortunately, my genes enjoy over-indulging ... :-[

    But pre abstinence -

    Beer: Coopers Pale Ale, or Millers Chill;

    Wine: $10 Cleanskin Classic Dry white;
    $20 Any Grant Burge Reserve;

    Dessert: Kingaroy Select Fromgnignac ...

    Gorgeous with baked peaches & marscapone ;)



Similar Threads

  1. Favourite Coffee
    By redzone121 in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 7th July 2009, 04:53 PM
  2. Favourite Dim Sum Restaurant
    By tojo1 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 09:50 PM
  3. What is your favourite coffee
    By topshot in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30th December 2008, 11:04 PM
  4. Favourite cafe?
    By ajhclarke in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 16th January 2008, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •