Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By SniffCoffee
  • 1 Post By SniffCoffee
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 2 Post By Steve82

Thread: Rich chocolate blend....ice cream!

  1. #1
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    705

    Rich chocolate blend....ice cream!

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Okay, so technically this is not a blend of coffee beans....but

    A while back I ordered some of Andy's Double Dutch Cocoa and Ghana Single Origin Cocoa to combine with dextrose as my wife and I decided we needed to reduce the amount of fructose in our family's diet.

    Both make a very nice hot chocolate.

    As part of the low fructose thing we now make our own ice cream in a machine at home, and I tried both cocoas individually and made some nice ice cream.

    And then when I got to the bottom of the first bag of Dutch Cocoa I didn't have enough for the ice cream recipe so added a couple of spoonfuls of the Ghana Single Origin...and....

    KABOOM! The most amazing chocolate ice cream ever.

    Here's the receipt (adapted from David Gillespie's receipt in his books 'Sweet Poison Quit Plan')


    300mls thickened cream
    1.5 teaspoons vanilla essence
    150-180mls full cream milk
    2/3 cup dextrose
    2 heaped tablespoons of each of Double Dutch and Ghana Single origin Cocoa

    1. Combine cream, milk and vanilla essence in a small saucepan over low heat and stir to combine
    2. Add dextrose and stir, then add cocoa and either whisk or stir until cocoa and dextrose have blended in
    3. remove from heat and cool, then put into ice cream machine
    4. restrain yourself from eating all of it by yourself when ready!

    Sniff
    Andy and Jonathon like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    723
    My waistline did not need to read this post...

  3. #3
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    17,037
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sounds wicked!

    Dopey question... what's an ice cream machine?
    Are you talking about the domestic appliances (circa $50-$300)

  4. #4
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    705
    Hi Andy

    Yes I mean the domestic appliance type. We've got a breville with a built in compressor so it stirs and cools the mixture. The cheaper ones have a tub that you freeze first and then put into the machine.

    Cheers

    Sniff
    Andy likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Journeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    1,029
    For those who waistlines expanded just from reading this, substitute Natvia for the sugar. Natvia is made from the stevia plant and is much sweeter than sugar of any kind - I drink my coffee with 1 tspn of sugar or 1/2 tspn of natvia.

    1tspn sugar = 16 calories
    1tspn natvia = 0.6 calories.

    No aftertaste, no gluggy phlegm in the mouth. The missus makes brownies with it & we calculated the sugar ones run at around 180cals per piece and the natvia ones around 60 - 70 cals.

    Question: Does it need to be thickened cream? I prefer pure cream if it would still work.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,880
    There's also the type with the tub that you put ice and salt in with the ice cream mixture in a metal cylinder sitting inside of that. They come in manual as well as electric powered stirring arms.

    electric ice cream maker.jpg

    hand crank ice cream maker.jpg


    Java "Homemade ice cream....Yums!" phile
    Andy likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by SniffCoffee View Post

    A while back I ordered some of Andy's Double Dutch Cocoa and Ghana Single Origin Cocoa to combine with dextrose as my wife and I decided we needed to reduce the amount of fructose in our family's diet.
    Looks like a great recipe! - I'll have to try it on the family. I'm just confused why you'd want to reduce fructose in your diet and substitute glucose (dextrose = D-isomer of glucose).

  8. #8
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    For those who waistlines expanded just from reading this, substitute Natvia for the sugar. Natvia is made from the stevia plant and is much sweeter than sugar of any kind - I drink my coffee with 1 tspn of sugar or 1/2 tspn of natvia.

    1tspn sugar = 16 calories
    1tspn natvia = 0.6 calories.

    No aftertaste, no gluggy phlegm in the mouth. The missus makes brownies with it & we calculated the sugar ones run at around 180cals per piece and the natvia ones around 60 - 70 cals.

    Question: Does it need to be thickened cream? I prefer pure cream if it would still work.
    Pure cream is fine.

  9. #9
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by habahabanero View Post
    Looks like a great recipe! - I'll have to try it on the family. I'm just confused why you'd want to reduce fructose in your diet and substitute glucose (dextrose = D-isomer of glucose).
    The theory is the fructose is converted by your liver to fat, whereas the dextrose/glucose is digested by your stomach more readily and not converted to fat (unless you have lots).

    Have a look at Gillespie's books or Sarah Wilson's website iquitsugar.com

    Cheers

    Sniff

  10. #10
    Senior Member Journeyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    1,029
    Fructose, like most sugars, fails the processing system your body has. That white fat made by sugars is NOT something you body knows how to reprocess back into energy. Thus the escalating diabetes problems in our 'modern' world.

    There is another issue - the varieties of sugar do not trigger the mechanisms in the body that tell your brain you have enough energy for now. So you see the kids in Maccas who happily consume a 2 litre bottle of high-fructose corn syrup... I'm sorry, I mean soda, (for Aussies, Coke, lemonade, Sprite etc.)... and THEN consume a high calories 'Happy Meal' (which makes Maccas' owners REALLY happy) and want dessert as well.

    Glucose is also not optimum for your body. Your body systems quite happily make and use fat-based systems. It is designed for it. Sugars are like an adrenaline shot to the heart - good for reviving you when times are drastic, but try to live on it and you die. Early. From preventable (by YOU) causes. Which, by definition, is suicide.

  11. #11
    Senior Member SniffCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Fructose, like most sugars, fails the processing system your body has. That white fat made by sugars is NOT something you body knows how to reprocess back into energy. Thus the escalating diabetes problems in our 'modern' world.

    There is another issue - the varieties of sugar do not trigger the mechanisms in the body that tell your brain you have enough energy for now. So you see the kids in Maccas who happily consume a 2 litre bottle of high-fructose corn syrup... I'm sorry, I mean soda, (for Aussies, Coke, lemonade, Sprite etc.)... and THEN consume a high calories 'Happy Meal' (which makes Maccas' owners REALLY happy) and want dessert as well.

    Glucose is also not optimum for your body. Your body systems quite happily make and use fat-based systems. It is designed for it. Sugars are like an adrenaline shot to the heart - good for reviving you when times are drastic, but try to live on it and you die. Early. From preventable (by YOU) causes. Which, by definition, is suicide.
    The idea with the low fructose diet is that your body learns to detect when it is full sooner, rather than being tricked by the fructose. Table sugar is 50% fructose and 50% glucose.

    Since starting the low fructose diet it's amazing just where sugar shows up. Most products that have the fat content reduced often have sugar added to improve the flavour. The amount of sugar in low fat products like salad dressings is quite shocking. Store bought tomato sauce and bbq sauce are full of it.

    So now we're eating butter instead of margarine, and drinking full cream milk. I've noticed that I don't have tired spells during the day anymore, and generally eat less at mealtimes.

    We've also started making our own butter, tomato sauce and bread. You can still have plenty of sweet things, but I've noticed now that if I do have something like cake with sugary icing or a glass of soft drink just how shockingly sweet they now taste.

    The kids have adjusted well, but make up for it whenever they're invited to a birthday party!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
    Fructose, like most sugars, fails the processing system your body has. That white fat made by sugars is NOT something you body knows how to reprocess back into energy. Thus the escalating diabetes problems in our 'modern' world.

    There is another issue - the varieties of sugar do not trigger the mechanisms in the body that tell your brain you have enough energy for now. So you see the kids in Maccas who happily consume a 2 litre bottle of high-fructose corn syrup... I'm sorry, I mean soda, (for Aussies, Coke, lemonade, Sprite etc.)... and THEN consume a high calories 'Happy Meal' (which makes Maccas' owners REALLY happy) and want dessert as well.

    Glucose is also not optimum for your body. Your body systems quite happily make and use fat-based systems. It is designed for it. Sugars are like an adrenaline shot to the heart - good for reviving you when times are drastic, but try to live on it and you die. Early. From preventable (by YOU) causes. Which, by definition, is suicide.
    Sorry but some of this is quite misleading and inaccurate.

    Fructose ,glucose and galactose are simple sugars (monosaccharides) that are easily and quickly absorbed into the blood stream during digestion. Sucrose aka table sugar is a disaccharide, glucose / fructose bonded together.

    Glucose is essential for living, in particular brain function, without it you die. Fructose is found naturally in honey, fruits and vegetables. When whole foods are consumed they are broken down slowly by the body (enzymatic reaction) into these simple sugars for use in energy production at a cellular level.

    So yes if one consumes large concentrated amounts of these simple sugars,(a good example is fruit juice) there will be too much for the body to use and it will eventually be stored as fat. Prior to this happening excess is stored in the muscles as glycogen ready to be released at a moments notice for energy production.

    Body fat is broken down into glycerol and other fatty acids than can then be converted into glucose for energy production. The process is a lot more complex than what I can explain word for word.
    Last edited by Steve82; 22nd September 2013 at 11:22 PM.
    SniffCoffee and MrJack like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,376
    Steve82, f I could 'like' a post twice, I would have.

    Looks like a nice recipe, but where are the tasting notes?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •