Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: "Ostentatious wellness"

  1. #1
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,729

    "Ostentatious wellness"

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Are you really into trendy alternative foods such as quinoa, spirulina and activated almonds, or, as the article suggests, are you simply trying to impress your peers?

    The real problem with the wellness industrial complex

    "Ostentatious wellness" isn’t just about making yourself appear as good as you feel. In its own way, it’s an advertisement for the kind of hip, urban, aware lifestyle you want others to think you adhere to. What do people even do with kale? And why would anyone in their right mind put anything in their body that looks like a spirulina smoothie? There’s a self indulgence to ostentatious wellness that screams to the world, “I am the kind of person who activates their almonds”.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    1,073
    I feel fortunate to have been born with common sense which makes me feel sorry for those who get involved in all this silliness.
    The writer also seems to think it is cool and trendy to get smashed and have a hangover.
    My generation really failed hers.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,576
    I'll put my hands up....I eat kale and quinoa every now and then. But simply because they make an interesting change to alternatives (and there's a good cheap farmer's outlet up the road that sells the kale). Kale is great pan fried in a small amount of veg oil and white pepper, with a few pine nuts chucked in. Quite enjoy quinoa in salads / light soups. I'm also happy to eat a turducken. To each their own I reckon.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    I'll put my hands up....I eat kale and quinoa every now and then. But simply because they make an interesting change to alternatives (and there's a good cheap farmer's outlet up the road that sells the kale). Kale is great pan fried in a small amount of veg oil and white pepper, with a few pine nuts chucked in. Quite enjoy quinoa in salads / light soups. I'm also happy to eat a turducken. To each their own I reckon.
    Hardly ostentatious Barry, I've yet to see a post from you about the health benefits of anything much, other than coffee.

    PS You can eat a turducken on your own?
    Last edited by Yelta; 26th November 2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: To add a smart remark.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I feel fortunate to have been born with common sense which makes me feel sorry for those who get involved in all this silliness.
    The writer also seems to think it is cool and trendy to get smashed and have a hangover.
    My generation really failed hers.
    Common sense ain't that common now Rocky.
    I never thought it was cool and trendy to have a hang over, unfortunately getting smashed usually resulted in the second condition.
    I still drink but hangovers are a distant memory, thank goodness.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Hardly ostentatious Barry, I've yet to see a post from you about the health benefits of anything much, other than coffee.

    PS You can eat a turducken on your own?
    Oops. Not a whole turducken on my own. Now half a Peking Duck on the other hand......

  7. #7
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    6,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Oops. Not a whole turducken on my own. Now half a Peking Duck on the other hand......
    Have never tried Peking Duck, it's on the bucket list, heading for Italy in April, stopping over for a few days in Hong Kong on the way over and back, perhaps there's a chance!
    Peking Duck is hardly a health food either.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Have never tried Peking Duck, it's on the bucket list, heading for Italy in April, stopping over for a few days in Hong Kong on the way over and back, perhaps there's a chance!
    Peking Duck is hardly a health food either.
    Very much worth a try Yelta. And, if you have Peking Duck pancakes, remember that the shallots are raw vegetables, and thus very good for you The duck skin, hoisin sauce and pancake wrapper possibly less ideal. I got into Peking Duck after having the 3 course Peking Duck option at one of the places on Lt. Bourke St. in Melb. Nowadays I sometimes pick up a roast duck at Sunday lunchtime ($26) and we have part of it Sunday night in pancakes, then throw the rest in fried rice on Monday.

    Strangely, I don't think I ever tried Peking Duck in either HK or Beijing....where I've spent a bit of time on and off.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •