Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Bloody hell

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,588

    Bloody hell

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    ;D A brand new category and not a post in sight! woohoo squatters rights in the off-topic section!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    166

    Re: Bloody hell

    i went kayaking on the weekend

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Bloody hell

    i baked a rhubarb and apple crumble

  4. #4
    Senior Member fatboy_1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,116

    Re: Bloody hell

    If we are Off Topic in the Off Topic area, are we On Topic and hence risking the thread being moved?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    754

    Re: Bloody hell

    Ahh.. Andy is changing the forum i got shocked!

  6. #6
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,549
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Bloody hell


    off topic in this section would be something about coffee.

    :)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Bloody hell

    with so much stuff being moved Im a bit worried that when I look for something related to coffee, there may not be any posts ;D

  8. #8
    Super Moderator scoota_gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,126

    Re: Bloody hell

    Youll find it...eventually! :D


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,601

    Re: Bloody hell

    Lets see....Off topic, but about coffee......

    Hmmmm....

    Got one.

    Going down for a cruise on the boat, during which well have a couple of stove-top coffees. Well also sample the very bitter lattes served locally.

    Looks like rain. That means less urgency for drip tray waste to pour on the garden.

    -Robusto

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: Bloody hell

    Well this is about not coffee...... does that count?

    Last night some scumbag visited my house whilst we were all out......

    Turned off the main switch and removed (and stole) all the high current fuses. As they switchboard is old, there are no longer any replacement fuse wedges for this style..... (according to the police theft of this style of fuse is becoming more common - the other alternative is to replace the whole board - mucho dolleros) so I had to scrounge the demolition yards to find replacements....

    From 8 p.m. last night until about 11:00 a.m. this morning - no coffee.... :( :( :(

    I even thought about instant - very briefly ;) ;D

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,601

    Re: Bloody hell

    Thats the weirdest theft Ive ever heard of JavaB. What an absolute low life to do that. Could have caused untold damage to frozen food, any tropical aquarium and everything else you may well have dependent on power.

    And of course you cant lock it because of meter readings -- perhaps a glass panelinsert for that purpose.

    I suppose the fuse holders being unique dont take circuit breakers?

    --Robusto

  12. #12
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Bloody hell

    Some of the original circuit breakers were designed to replace the old style fuses.
    Im not sure about now though.

    In NSW its possible to purchase a padlock from the electricity supplier so that you both have a key.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,588

    Re: Bloody hell

    Here is WA you can buy a cover with a window so you can lock it tight but the supplier can still read the meter. . .


  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,588

    Re: Bloody hell

    Not that that helps if the fuses have already been stolen.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: Bloody hell

    Well Ive already designed a "custom built" lid for the fuse box..... and it will be fitted tomorrow.

    Most older homes in WA were supplied with 3 phase power (all electric homes with instant heat H/W, 3 phase bore pumps etc) and so instead of fitting 240V fuses they used 440V ones..... even though its only 240V per phase..... and these havent been produced for years.

    The breakers which plug in only fit the 240V fuses, a standard cabinet wont work (the fuse board + meter is too big) and I need a cut-out to access the bore pump starter switch..... so home grown carpentry to the rescue.....

    (Might just connect an electric fence generator to the padlock as well ;) :))

  16. #16
    tim
    tim is offline
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    246

    Re: Bloody hell

    I think Id be tempted to buy a "custom built" lead-dispenser and wait on the porch............... except Id probably shoot myself in the foot.

    What a shitty thing to do!

  17. #17
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Bloody hell

    Years ago a friend of mine kept losing CB aerials off his 4wd during the night.
    He told me hed rigged up some system between the aerial and the coil to deter the next would be thief.

    Didnt take long before some howling one night awakened him to find a yelping miscreant near his vehicle swearing blue murder.

    THe guy was so upset that he called the police.

    When the cops came he explaine how hed been zapped while trying to remove the aerial.
    The cops subsequntly took him away for trying to steal the aerial (brain must have still been smoking).

    Before he left though, the senior copper whispered to my friend that hed better remove the "man trap" to avoid any prosecutions of his own.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    140

    Re: Bloody hell

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1175061744/0#9 date=1175070766
    Well this is about not coffee...... does that count?

    Last night some scumbag visited my house whilst we were all out......

    Turned off the main switch and removed (and stole) all the high current fuses. As they switchboard is old, there are no longer any replacement fuse wedges for this style..... (according to the police theft of this style of fuse is becoming more common - the other alternative is to replace the whole board - mucho dolleros) so I had to scrounge the demolition yards to find replacements....

    From 8 p.m. last night until about 11:00 a.m. this morning - no coffee.... :( :( :(

    I even thought about instant - very briefly *;) ;D
    Its amazing what can go through your mind in a time of crisis. Must have been terrible to have even considered instant! :)

    What possible benefit could they get from rippin off your fuses? Too tight arsed to find replacements for their own fuse box? is there a black market for fuses?

    Oxygen thieves as well as fuse thieves!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    140

    Re: Bloody hell

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1175061744/15#16 date=1175083703
    Years ago a friend of mine kept losing CB aerials off his 4wd during the night.
    He told me hed rigged up some system between the aerial and the coil to deter the next would be thief.

    Didnt take long before some howling one night awakened him to find a yelping miscreant near his vehicle swearing blue murder.

    THe guy was so upset that he called the police.

    When the cops came he explaine how hed been zapped while trying to remove the aerial.
    The cops subsequntly took him away for trying to steal the aerial (brain must have still been smoking).

    Before he left though, the senior copper whispered to my friend that hed better remove the "man trap" to avoid any prosecutions of his own.
    Thats gold.....GOLD!!! ;D

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: Bloody hell

    That really hurts. I electrified my face with an ignition coil once (dont ask). Everything went white.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,588

    Re: Bloody hell

    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalRoast link=1175061744/15#19 date=1175128480
    That really hurts. *I electrified my face with an ignition coil once (dont ask). *Everything went white.

    Sorry, dont ask just doesnt cut it here in Off Topic country - I gotta know how you managed that.

  22. #22
    Flo
    Flo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    330

    Re: Bloody hell

    Quote Originally Posted by grendel link=1175061744/15#20 date=1175129735
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalRoast link=1175061744/15#19 date=1175128480
    That really hurts. *I electrified my face with an ignition coil once (dont ask). *Everything went white.

    Sorry, dont ask just doesnt cut it here in Off Topic country - I gotta know how you managed that.
    Me too! *:P ;D Come on spill the beans...

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    203

    Re: Bloody hell

    I knew one day Id get to tell my lawnmower spark lead story. As a kid, we had a few different billy carts / go karts. One of them was powered by a Victa 160cc two stroke motor that had been my dads pet performance modification project one year. When we were finished driving it we used to reach around and turn the fuel tap off to stop it. One day I missed the fuel tap and grabbed the spark plug lead. I must have sat there for seconds with my hand practically glued to the lead with a decent electrical current flowing through me. I think I turned white then too...

  24. #24
    Flo
    Flo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    330

    Re: Bloody hell

    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalRoast link=1175061744/15#19 date=1175128480
    That really hurts. *I electrified my face with an ignition coil once (dont ask). *Everything went white.
    You now know that youre not supposed to do the old 9V battery terminal across the tongue trick with an ignition coil! * ;);D

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,530

    Re: Bloody hell

    I remember a time when I was out on a field exercise in the army. I was a satellite communications tech at the time, and the officers notified us that our blackout lighting system wasnt working. When the door is opened, the lights inside the van shut off, and a red light comes on to light the inside of the van, keeping you from being spotted easily at night. Since the equipment was online, you couldnt shut the van down to work on the lights. An interruption in transmission would have been a serious problem. So I set out working on the blackout system. I found that the switch for the system was wired incorrectly. That was the easy part. The tough part was working on it. It was in a tight place, and I could only get at it with my fingers. I wish we had some nitrile gloves or something, because I must have been electrocuted about 25 times. In the end, about an hour later, the blackout system was working properly, and the officers were happy. I certainly wasnt, and I had to arrange later for all the communications vans to go in to be serviced, and have the blackout systems fixed. Luckily I could do all that work without power to the van.

    The things youre forced to do in the service of your country...

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    140

    Re: Bloody hell

    I fell out of a tree when I was 6. :(

  27. #27
    Sleep is overrated Thundergod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,496

    Re: Bloody hell

    Quote Originally Posted by Saambo link=1175061744/15#25 date=1175149085
    I fell out of a tree when I was 6. * :(
    That explains everything.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    140

    Re: Bloody hell

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1175061744/15#26 date=1175149441
    Quote Originally Posted by Saambo link=1175061744/15#25 date=1175149085
    I fell out of a tree when I was 6. * :(
    That explains everything.
    Your point being??

  29. #29
    Senior Member Dennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: Bloody hell

    A probationary police constable held a gun to my back once - that wasnt cool

  30. #30
    Senior Member Lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bridport, Tas
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Bloody hell

    i is woman.... triumph and tribulation all in one... without one of my fingers in the powerpoint...


    in all seriousness, that sort of theft is a very low act... imagine, having to consider instant... :)



Similar Threads

  1. Roast from hell
    By Stan in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th August 2008, 05:18 PM
  2. Basic bloody competency
    By Thundergod in forum General Coffee Related...
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •