Conargo Pub destroyed by fire
Matt Dowling, Warwick Long and Bronwen O'Shea
The iconic Conargo Hotel in southern New South Wales was destroyed by fire overnight.
It was made famous by the black and white Conargo Pub stickers which were attached to tens of thousands of utes, cars and trucks across the nation.
Resident Jade Clough arrived to see the building engulfed in flames
"Everyone's really devastated about it.
"The whole community came last night and we were all there until 12 and onwards and there were a few sad faces and stuff.
"It's actually a very iconic pub in the Riverina and all over Australia people would stop in here and get the Conargo stickers.
"So, yeah, it's a shame for all of New South Wales and to Australia."
Mayor of the Conargo Shire, Norm Brennan, operated the Conargo store for 15 years and says he was shocked when he heard the news.
"For a lot of the kids, the ute wasn't completed until they put the Conargo Pub sticker on."
He said the loss of memorabilia is devastating to the community.
"Inside there was a lot of photographs of a lot of the merino studs, the champion rams, people, woolsheds and characters of the Riverina."
Sally, from the Conargo Junction store, was the first to call emergency services.
"All the locals don't know what's going to happen because it's where they would go to have a beer and a yarn and what not. The locals are just stunned."
Conargo Pub destroyed by fire - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Wow, very sad indeed...
Wish all the Conargo residents a speedy recovery from this devastating event...