Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By magnafunk
  • 3 Post By TampIt
  • 2 Post By Magic_Matt

Thread: What's a good cheaper alternative to Cold Power for doing laundry in cold water?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    241

    What's a good cheaper alternative to Cold Power for doing laundry in cold water?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

    I've been using Cold Power for doing my laundry in cold water, in a top loading washing machine. I notice there are cheaper brands like Hurricane and Woolworths Essentials Laundry Liquid. Are these alternatives at least as good for washing in cold water?

    I prefer a liquid instead of powder although I'll listen to opposing viewpoints on that. I just worry about powders not dissolving properly in the wash.

    I notice Coles has "Coles Ultra Concentrate" but the label says nothing about using it in either hot or cold water. I asked a worker at Coles and they didn't know. I refuse to use Aldi's Laundrite as I tried it once and when I wore my clothes after the wash I felt itchy from wearing them.

    If there are no cheaper alternatives that are just as good or better than Cold Power that's fine. I'm saving money by using cold water anyway.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,698
    We've been using this one for years...
    Works great regardless of water temp. and condition of clothes.
    Removes everything that's not supposed to be there, including all manner of stains, etc...

    Mal.

    RADIANT2KG-6PACK.jpg
    pamount likes this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    I alternate between the various hippie brands (no animal testing, no palm oil) available at woolies, depending on which one is on sale. Prefer liquid to powder. They all work just fine in cold water

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,275
    The only way you will know if they suit you....itchy skin , aroma, cleanness, etc.... Is to try the yourself in your machine, with your water supply !
    Not exactly an expensive exercise, buy a few and use them for alternate washes. That will highlight any differences.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hobart TAS
    Posts
    265
    It's well worth looking at Choice for their tests of detergents. As so often is the case with their empirical approach, it is not always the most expensive that is the best, and the best value for money product is soon revealed.

  6. #6
    Senior Member magnafunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Kimberley
    Posts
    542
    If you're having trouble with the powder not dissolving try tamping a little lighter
    Magic_Matt and level3ninja like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by magnafunk View Post
    If you're having trouble with the powder not dissolving try tamping a little lighter
    Thanks. I'll try to remember that.

    :-)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by pamount View Post
    Hi

    I've been using Cold Power for doing my laundry in cold water, in a top loading washing machine. I notice there are cheaper brands like Hurricane and Woolworths Essentials Laundry Liquid. Are these alternatives at least as good for washing in cold water?

    I prefer a liquid instead of powder although I'll listen to opposing viewpoints on that. I just worry about powders not dissolving properly in the wash.

    I notice Coles has "Coles Ultra Concentrate" but the label says nothing about using it in either hot or cold water. I asked a worker at Coles and they didn't know. I refuse to use Aldi's Laundrite as I tried it once and when I wore my clothes after the wash I felt itchy from wearing them.

    If there are no cheaper alternatives that are just as good or better than Cold Power that's fine. I'm saving money by using cold water anyway.

    Thanks.
    Like Dimal I found Radiant was good, and none of the liquids came close to it. Then a friend bought me a large "keg" of "Green Action liquid" from Aldi. They strike again - about 1/4 the price of Radiant and it removes some stains which Radiant wouldn't / couldn't (and I had given up on those stains ever coming out). My last Radiant box is being used for clean clothes & towels as I type this.

    TampIt
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and pamount like this.

  9. #9
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,698
    Must have been some stain that Radiant couldn't shift mate...
    We've had some beauties over the years and none were invincible to the impressive Radiant....

    The Aldi one sounds interesting though.

    Mal.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Magic_Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northlandia
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Must have been some stain that Radiant couldn't shift mate...
    We've had some beauties over the years and none were invincible to the impressive Radiant....

    The Aldi one sounds interesting though.

    Mal.
    Between this and "all manner of stains," I'm wondering what kind of hobbies you're keeping yourself busy with in your retiremt, Mal

    Dimal and magnafunk like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Must have been some stain that Radiant couldn't shift mate...
    We've had some beauties over the years and none were invincible to the impressive Radiant....

    The Aldi one sounds interesting though.

    Mal.
    Yep mate - surprised me at the time.

    I had two "previously untouchable" stains on two virtually new white tee shirts - one is from a friend's "paint peeler" Indian curry "kindly donated" to my tee shirt when they spluttered all over it (I wouldn't have attempted to eat any of that curry, I value my taste buds!), the other MAY be oily sap from a gum tree (or some other equally weird unknown item). Radiant ignored both of them, so I quarantined those tee shirts for walking the dog down the beach until I felt a bleach urge coming on.

    When I tried the 4.5 litre "about $15" Aldi keg I rounded up all "stubborn stained things" and put them in one wash - including some truly oily & greasy old white overalls from the 80s. Afterwards I couldn't even tell which tee shirt was which. The overalls damn near need a magnifying glass to find the muted stains - they even look white again. Pretty impressive. The only intractable stains now are chemical splashes on a pair of jeans (don't ask... however they have even altered the fabric's texture).


    TampIt
    If you can't be active try being dead.
    Last edited by TampIt; 11th April 2017 at 10:52 PM.

  12. #12
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,698
    What ever works I guess...

    Mal.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •