Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Advise for storing beans, Pre/Post roasting

  1. #1
    Coffee Nut fg1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    451

    Advise for storing beans, Pre/Post roasting

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Am about to start experimenting with a Green bean starter pack with a pop corn roaster.
    What's the best method of storing green beans? I hear people keep them for years but I'd rather buy smaller batches & consume them sooner.
    After roasting, what's the best method for storing resting the beans?
    I'm aiming to consume my roasted beans within 7 - 12 days,
    after resting, do the beans need to stored differently so they keep as fresh as possible for a week or so?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
    Hi all,
    Am about to start experimenting with a Green bean starter pack with a pop corn roaster.
    What's the best method of storing green beans? I hear people keep them for years but I'd rather buy smaller batches & consume them sooner.
    After roasting, what's the best method for storing resting the beans?
    I'm aiming to consume my roasted beans within 7 - 12 days,
    after resting, do the beans need to stored differently so they keep as fresh as possible for a week or so?
    Thanks
    A commonly used rule is the 3/3/3. That is, keep ground coffee no longer than 3 minutes, roasted coffee 3 weeks and green 3 years. Store them out of direct sunlight, in a cool dark cupboard, not in the fridge. Once roasted, bag them into foil bags with a one-way valve (on sale in BeanBay), let them rest to de-gas for a few days. Also store roasted beans in a cool dark place. They should stay fresh for 3-4 weeks this way.

    Hope this helps,
    David

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Hamptons
    Posts
    290
    Hi,
    I bought a vacuum flask (VacuVin Vacuum Coffee Savers
    ) from Coffeeparts - really good
    Cheers
    Dr Dave

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    726
    If you go to Beanbay and under other stuff, they sell the coffee bags which come with the one way valve. it lets the gas out but doesnt let the air in. Very cheap and and the perfect way to store your beans. they come in i think 250g and 500g.

  6. #6
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    If you go to Beanbay and under other stuff, they sell the coffee bags which come with the one way valve. it lets the gas out but doesnt let the air in. Very cheap and and the perfect way to store your beans. they come in i think 250g and 500g.
    Also 1kg, but I would suggest using smaller bags. Less chance of them going stale due to opening and resealing all the time.

  7. #7
    Coffee Nut fg1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    451
    Thank you all for the helpful replies.
    I've looked into vacuum sealed containers in the past and am concerned that sucking air out of roasted beans that are still gassing effects the resting process and will change the flavour.
    The resealable bags seem like a great idea and I will definitely get some small bags when ordering my green bean starter pack.
    Do you guys store green beans in the cloth bags?
    Got to get myself one of those member cards with the colour chart as soon as they are back in stock.

  8. #8
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559

    Advise for storing beans, Pre/Post roasting

    Quote Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
    Thank you all for the helpful replies.
    I've looked into vacuum sealed containers in the past and am concerned that sucking air out of roasted beans that are still gassing effects the resting process and will change the flavour.
    The resealable bags seem like a great idea and I will definitely get some small bags when ordering my green bean starter pack.
    Do you guys store green beans in the cloth bags?
    Got to get myself one of those member cards with the colour chart as soon as they are back in stock.
    Yep i store my greens in the cottbn bags. The beans for the started pack will come in plastic zip lock bags which aren't recommended for the long term. But in the short term they will be alright.

  9. #9
    Coffee Nut fg1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    451

    Advise for storing beans, Pre/Post roasting

    Thanks David8, I will get some cotton bags too

  10. #10
    Senior Member David8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Annerley, QLD
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
    Thanks David8, I will get some cotton bags too
    Sorry, I may not have been clear. All the greens except for the sample pack come in cotton bags. So you probably won't need to buy any.

  11. #11
    Coffee Nut fg1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    451

    Advise for storing beans, Pre/Post roasting

    Thanks again David, I have ordered a couple of cotton bags anyway cause I think the sample pack beans will last me a while so I may as well put store them in cotton.



Similar Threads

  1. Advise on roasting Yemen beans please.
    By NakiChap in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th September 2012, 09:48 AM
  2. Storing beans between grinds
    By ac638 in forum Roasted Bean Storage
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10th November 2008, 10:05 PM
  3. Storing beans
    By dippy1 in forum Roasted Bean Storage
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11th August 2007, 10:30 PM
  4. Roasting and Storing
    By LiquidHeaven in forum Roasted Bean Storage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th August 2006, 08:30 PM
  5. Storing beans/changing beans
    By liquid_gold in forum Roasted Bean Storage
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st July 2006, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •