Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 5 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By Vinitasse

Thread: Coffee storage (tin?)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    13

    Coffee storage (tin?)

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Is storing my coffee beans in a tin the right idea?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,613
    Depends whether you are trying to protect it from enemy ordnance, or keep the coffee fresh

    Most here would advocate storing in ziplock bags with a one way valve, in a cool dry place, but your local climate can affect your options.
    Dimal likes this.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    13
    Wouldn't the coffee "sweat" in a bag?

    I like the look of a tin, easy to scoop a teaspoon into, so as long as theres no down side i'll be looking for a heavy duty tin.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,613
    Take your pick, you asked, I gave you honest advice. If you aren't going to listen to it why ask?

    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-co...ans-fresh.html
    Brewster, Dimal, GrahamK and 2 others like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Central Queensland
    Posts
    1,091
    I'm leaning towards one of these.
    Pick it up at local Disposals Store.
    Coffee Beans are a kind of "Ammo" really, aren't they.


  6. #6
    Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PRL
    Posts
    2,613
    Just check that the insides don't smell like smoked eel, Rocky

  7. #7
    Senior Member Vinitasse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mornington Peninsula VIC
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
    Is storing my coffee beans in a tin the right idea?
    NO... not even close to the right idea. Listen to BOS, he's knows what he's talking about.
    chokkidog likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,246
    Quote Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
    Wouldn't the coffee "sweat" in a bag?

    I like the look of a tin, easy to scoop a teaspoon into, so as long as theres no down side i'll be looking for a heavy duty tin.

    Haha! Are you actually serious?!! Haha! Sweat what?

    It's very simple really - light and air are the enemy of your beans (and to a certain extent heat is as well). I keep mine in the bag they came in as these are usually foil or lined bags designed for this very purpose and they're never transparent either.
    After opening I roll down the top as tight as possible, throw a rubber band around it then pop it in a container in the pantry between each use.
    If for some desperate reason you need to keep an amount of coffee for a period of time longer than 2 weeks you may deal with it the same way but then store it in the freezer. Obviously this removes the 'freshly roasted' element, but if you're really remote or something it is better than storing them at room temperature for a long time. NEVER in the fridge.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Bosco_Lever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by LeroyC View Post
    Haha! Are you actually serious?!! Haha! Sweat what?

    It's very simple really - light and air are the enemy of your beans (and to a certain extent heat is as well). I keep mine in the bag they came in as these are usually foil or lined bags designed for this very purpose and they're never transparent either.
    After opening I roll down the top as tight as possible, throw a rubber band around it then pop it in a container in the pantry between each use.
    If for some desperate reason you need to keep an amount of coffee for a period of time longer than 2 weeks you may deal with it the same way but then store it in the freezer. Obviously this removes the 'freshly roasted' element, but if you're really remote or something it is better than storing them at room temperature for a long time. NEVER in the fridge.
    No, No, No!
    As soon as you put coffee in the freezer, it will degrade. Freshly roasted coffee, put into mason jars, with little air can be successfully stored in a proper deep freezer (chest), not your average fridge freezer. The coffee will keep, but will go stale very quickly, once removed. Also, it depends on your freezer, but in most cases in Australia, where a freezer is opened many times during the day, the temperature is not cold enough or steady enough to adequately store the beans.
    Storing coffee in a freezer is not recommended.
    Storing coffee in the fridge is fine in very hot climates (Northern Australia), where the heat will destroy the coffee, and a fridge is the only option. NZ does not experience the temperatures or humidity that Nth Australia does.
    When offering advice on the storage of beans, climate should be addressed in the discussions, as what suits Tasmania or NZ, will not suit Townsville or Darwin.

  10. #10
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,246
    I should have also included water/humidity in that list. So the correct storage is all the more important in a humid climate. Each to their own but I would never ever store coffee in the fridge, due to the high humidity found there. A 'cool' box or cupboard of some sort might work if you're in a warm climate and don't have a cool enough pantry. And to be more specific the freezer is absolute last resort for remote locations only and as stated by Bosco it can't be your daily freezer, it must be long term cold storage of some sort.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •