Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By kaanage

Thread: Killing the "you must REST Fresh Roasted Coffee" Myth. Thoughts?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    208

    Killing the "you must REST Fresh Roasted Coffee" Myth. Thoughts?

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Man, i love the internet.



    and 3, 2, 1 ... Go

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    367
    So....if I understand him properly, instead of resting the coffee, he now recommends pregrinding the fresh roasted coffee and let it stale?? No thank you, I prefer resting still.

    From my home roasting experience and nothing to do with the 'silly internet myth', well-rested beans do taste better than non-rested one. The effect is much more prominent with espresso (not that I drink brewed coffee anyway). Fresh off the roaster, the coffee is sharper, has a tingling taste, and sometimes comes with astringency. Moreover, fresh roast tends to have a predefined flavor profile(grassy,sweeter etc) and you're not really tasting the coffee origin (it is an artifact flavor as I see it).

    Pregrinding in advance does get rid some of the CO2, but it is tedious IMO. When I want my coffee, I want it now or ASAP. It's hard to grind it now, and wait 30 min for them to offgas. What if I want a second cup after the first cup, another 30 minute?

    So yeah, resting the coffee does make sense, and it is not some baseless internet myth as he saw through his lens.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,570
    Uuuummmm......Yeah. This from the same guy who in another of his videos states that coffee beans were found in an Egyptian tomb thousands of years old which were roasted up and tasted just fine. Apart from coffee beans thousands of years old roasting and tasting just fine let's ignore that the earliest anybody can find credible evidence of either coffee drinking or knowledge of the coffee tree is the middle of the 15th century. Just a little bit later than the building of the Egyptian pyramids. Of course in the same video he states that ground coffee has a shelf life of one hour, while in this one stating to grind it up and leave it overnight, and that roasted coffee kept in an airtight container will be stale in a week or less. And don't even get me started on his 'The end times are nigh and I must prepare!'. All-in-all not exactly evidence of someone who bases their opinions on facts.


    Java "Back to reality now" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaphile View Post
    Uuuummmm......Yeah. This from the same guy who in another of his videos states that coffee beans were found in an Egyptian tomb thousands of years old which were roasted up and tasted just fine. Apart from coffee beans thousands of years old roasting and tasting just fine let's ignore that the earliest anybody can find credible evidence of either coffee drinking or knowledge of the coffee tree is the middle of the 15th century. Just a little bit later than the building of the Egyptian pyramids. Of course in the same video he states that ground coffee has a shelf life of one hour, while in this one stating to grind it up and leave it overnight, and that roasted coffee kept in an airtight container will be stale in a week or less. And don't even get me started on his 'The end times are nigh and I must prepare!'. All-in-all not exactly evidence of someone who bases their opinions on facts.


    Java "Back to reality now" phile

    The video itself is contradictory.. He is saying in one sentence that "resting is a myth" and then he says you need to rest it for brewing... UHM?? what else would you do with Coffee?

  5. #5
    Senior Member LeroyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Woodend, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,245
    Wow! The ramblings of a madman! I like how at the end he says, "well, that's it in a nutshell." I thought to myself - what's it in a nutshell? You've rambled on for 7 minutes without telling us anything. I dunno, I got the feeling that maybe he does know what he's doing but he's just really, really bad at communicating. Either way that was quite bewildering. At one stage I thought it was a piss-take. Classic.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Rockingham W.A.
    Posts
    1,377
    ... and just look at the uneven roast! One of the guys who taught me did a more even job with a standard cast iron skillet over a real campfire in the 70's - just to show me how easy it was to roast coffee. As always in his case - 100% near CS8 / CT60. I reckon that prep guy graduated from army instant to drip to an aeropress.

  7. #7
    TC
    TC is offline
    .
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,665
    Quote Originally Posted by samuellaw178 View Post
    So....if I understand him properly, instead of resting the coffee, he now recommends pregrinding the fresh roasted coffee and let it stale??
    Yep- they call that a brick pack and for me, it's a step away from instant.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by samuellaw178 View Post
    So....if I understand him properly, instead of resting the coffee, he now recommends pregrinding the fresh roasted coffee and let it stale?? No thank you, I prefer resting still.
    OK, the way the guy has expressed it as a "myth" is stupid but it is a valid way to be able to get a decent drink from beans that haven't settled to their optimal usage window. Yes it is tedious, no it isn't viable in a commercial setting but it does work.

    So let's pan the guy for the right reasons without tossing out the embedded grain of truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    Yep- they call that a brick pack and for me, it's a step away from instant.
    Chris, remember back on CoffeeGeek when someone asked what the expiry date was for a preground brick pack and Luca (I think or maybe it was me) replied that it had expired when it was packed ?
    TC likes this.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2
    We package all our coffee in valve bags within 24 hours of roasting and will not sell it until is a week in the bag!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •