Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TOK

Thread: Which Roaster??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    8

    Question Which Roaster??

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I live in Australia. I have the Behmor 1600 and have enjoyed the experience. I think the Behmor is an awesome machine. What I'm looking for now is a roaster that will roast up to 2kilos (roughly 5 pounds of green) in one hit. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look, reliable brand names and not too expensive roasters, gas or electric etc. If you guys could head me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,096
    Hi dbambi.

    What research have you done already? Have you googled? Do you want a drum roaster?

    What is your budget? Maybe some more info would help narrow the options.

    Most rated capacities of roasters are over rated, if you were to purchase a 2 kg roaster, for

    the most part a batch size of 1.5 kg will work the best.

  3. #3
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    760
    Agreed With chokkidog some more info would be good. When someone goes from a good home roaster to potentially a small shop roaster they are some what surprised at the price you can pay for them. They are a considerable jump in price however in my limited experience so i will be honest and say it worries me when you say "not too expensive". Having had a gas and electric roaster i will say there are some differences in the roasting process in my opinion between the two, also the potential cost of running a gas roaster to a electric roaster. What ever way you go, there are a couple of guys here who can give some expert advice on it so good luck with it

  4. #4
    TOK
    TOK is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by dbambi View Post
    I live in Australia. I have the Behmor 1600 and have enjoyed the experience. I think the Behmor is an awesome machine. What I'm looking for now is a roaster that will roast up to 2kilos (roughly 5 pounds of green) in one hit. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look, reliable brand names and not too expensive roasters, gas or electric etc. If you guys could head me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.
    Pounds?????

    a) my 5 kilo Turkish manufactured Toper roasts 5 kg as it should, efficiently. My 60 kg Brambati - ditto. My 100 gram "Sample Pro" Vietnamese built Probat copy double barrel sample roaster: ditto. If others dont roast what they are rated to, then they have a problem. Yes there used to be problems with some Turkish manufactured roasters however if they are set up properly for use here there shouldnt be any problems now. You would have problems if you attempted to use equipment that has not been properly converted for use with gas in Oz...use an established importer here who guarantees the job for you.

    b) re "not too expensive". You will therefore be looking at Turkish manufactured roasting equipment. Everything else will cost more, except for perhaps some "toy" small batch roasters manufactured in Asia....if you are buying for your hobby they may be ok, but if you are buying to try and go commercial my advice would be to forget them.

    c) again re "not too expensive". You would probably still need to budget say in the order of roughly 10 thou by the time you are all set up properly...if you are trying to go commercial.

    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TOK; 29th October 2014 at 06:32 PM.
    chokkidog and TC like this.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    Hi dbambi.

    What research have you done already? Have you googled? Do you want a drum roaster?

    What is your budget? Maybe some more info would help narrow the options.

    Most rated capacities of roasters are over rated, if you were to purchase a 2 kg roaster, for

    the most part a batch size of 1.5 kg will work the best.
    Have done some research... and googled ad infinitum, even tried eBay... I'm assuming a drum roaster is adequate?? or maybe I'll have to try another method of roaster eg gas vs electric. I would hope not to spend anymore than $5000 but it seems that to be able to roast 2Kg cost a fortune. Just a humorous though... it would be cheaper to buy a half dozen Behmor's and have then all going at the same time!

    Thanks for the reply
    Cheers

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    8
    TOK.. how much was the 5Kg Turkish and do they make a 2Kg machine? Are you saying that the electric has to be converted to AC/DC or is this done already?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    8
    Thanks coffeechris... I'm just toying with the idea at the moment... too bad Mr Behmor doesn't make a 1Kg home roaster... I do like my Behmor! Realistically if I decide to go ahead with this I would seek professional advice and go visit a wholesaler.

  8. #8
    Senior Member coffeechris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    760
    I must admit I took a chance and bought both my roasters second hand. Haven't had a problem with either of them they both run a treat. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I know coffee roasters Aust have a 1kg electric for a reasonable price. Second-hand ones pop up on the bay here and there, if you know what you are looking at you can get your self a nice deal. On the flip side I'm sure you could get yourself a chocked up one too. Mind you i haven't had a problem.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Discovery Bay, HK
    Posts
    268
    Used TJ-067 1kg electric roaster

    as posted in the For Sale section. Might be worth looking into. Not sure if this machine falls under the "Asian made toy" category. What is your expected daily output?

  10. #10
    TOK
    TOK is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by dbambi View Post
    TOK.. how much was the 5Kg Turkish and do they make a 2Kg machine? Are you saying that the electric has to be converted to AC/DC or is this done already?
    Hi there. A 5 kilo commercial machine is already way above your budget ("...I would hope not to spend anymore than $5000 but it seems that to be able to roast 2Kg cost a fortune...") just to purchase (new), before set up and fitment costs... I have a feeling that what used to be their 2.5 kg machine may have developed into a 3 kg machine, and really, I wouldnt expect there to be too much of a price difference between a 5 and a 3, or a 2 for that matter, because the economies of scale between commercial machines of such similar overall size wont be much different...

    Hope that helps.

  11. #11
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,096
    As usual, the best place to start your research is often right here on CS. We have some great sponsors.......

    https://www.coffeeroasters.com.au/shop/roasters

    TOK is correct about the threshold value of shop roasters >2kg. The above link shows that quite clearly.

    To start at 2 kg a spend of $13-14k is required but I can triple my roasting capacity from 5 to 15 kg with only a $5k difference in new purchase price.

    You haven't mentioned yet if you are venturing into a 'commercial' thing or if you just want a high capacity home roaster.

    If the latter is where you're at then a 1kg machine is where you should be looking, given your budget on a new roaster.

    If you're wanting to go commercial, with one roaster, then anything less than 5 kg will be problematic from a consistency, workload and growth perspective and, as TOK mentions..... way above your budget.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    8

    Thanks

    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by chokkidog View Post
    As usual, the best place to start your research is often right here on CS. We have some great sponsors.......

    https://www.coffeeroasters.com.au/shop/roasters

    TOK is correct about the threshold value of shop roasters >2kg. The above link shows that quite clearly.

    To start at 2 kg a spend of $13-14k is required but I can triple my roasting capacity from 5 to 15 kg with only a $5k difference in new purchase price.

    You haven't mentioned yet if you are venturing into a 'commercial' thing or if you just want a high capacity home roaster.

    If the latter is where you're at then a 1kg machine is where you should be looking, given your budget on a new roaster.

    If you're wanting to go commercial, with one roaster, then anything less than 5 kg will be problematic from a consistency, workload and growth perspective and, as TOK mentions..... way above your budget.
    Thanks chokkidog and to everyone for there time and advice... My venture could turn into a commercial one. If that's the case then I don't mind spending more. I'm just weighing up my time really. What I mean is I have limited time at the moment but that's not to say I couldn't rearrange my time management. So I will have to think a little harder... my head already hurts Anyway thanks guys for your help, much appreciated. Will keep you posted. I will definitely need some expert advice in the near future.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •