Results 1 to 40 of 40
Like Tree33Likes
  • 12 Post By Lukemc
  • 1 Post By Javaphile
  • 1 Post By fg1972
  • 1 Post By chokkidog
  • 1 Post By Andy
  • 3 Post By Lukemc
  • 1 Post By kwantfm
  • 1 Post By Hipsi
  • 1 Post By Coffeeroaster1
  • 1 Post By DropBear
  • 3 Post By Lukemc
  • 1 Post By Caffeinator
  • 2 Post By Caffeinator
  • 2 Post By Lukemc
  • 1 Post By Lukemc
  • 1 Post By kwantfm

Thread: i got a new roaster - Phantom 7kg

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696

    i got a new roaster - Phantom 7kg

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    HI Guys

    Although i don't have it up and running yet due to some gas issues (lack of local knowledge from rural plumber!) i thought id post a picture

    Is anyone else using a Phantom at all that would like to share tips and tricks??

    Managed top get it off the truck, through the sliding glass doors and off the pallet all with the help of our trusty tractor (and dads foreman like advice!)

    Picture of roasting shed (6x4 wish it was triple the size!) at bottom incase anyone is interested, pre insulation and air conditioning


    IMG_4239.jpg

    IMG_4246.jpg

    IMG_4250.jpg

    roast shed - 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brewster, Dimal, GrahamK and 9 others like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    And post insulation, aircon, wiring and gas.

    Attachment 18995

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Javaphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth!
    Posts
    15,578
    WooHoo! Looks nice Luke!


    Java "Gotta love a new toy!" phile
    Lukemc likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  4. #4
    Coffee Nut fg1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    451
    Congrats, that's going to be a nice set up
    Lukemc likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member chokkidog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    2,095
    Fabulous Luke! Looking forward to your next instalment of the story! Sending a PM.....
    Lukemc likes this.

  6. #6
    CoffeeSnobs Owner Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    16,767
    Blog Entries
    1
    Looking great Luke!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    due to some gas issues (lack of local knowledge from rural plumber!)
    Yeah, local plumber won't be able to tick all the required boxes either.

    You need a "Type B" gas fitter/plumber to commission the roaster and it will need ESV (Energy Safe Victoria) to tag it before use.

    See a previous post on the subject:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/4...gas-specs.html

    You could also try:
    Gastite - Steve Hardiman - 0408 505 857
    ...he has installed quite a few roasters around rural Vic and knows the hurdles well.
    Javaphile likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Thanks Andy, I should have known that but somehow didn't!!

    I do now and have been trying to find someone that can do that for me to no avail

    Ill get in touch with Steve and have a read through that thread

    thanks again


    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Looking great Luke!



    Yeah, local plumber won't be able to tick all the required boxes either.

    You need a "Type B" gas fitter/plumber to commission the roaster and it will need ESV (Energy Safe Victoria) to tag it before use.

    See a previous post on the subject:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/roasters/4...gas-specs.html

    You could also try:
    Gastite - Steve Hardiman - 0408 505 857
    ...he has installed quite a few roasters around rural Vic and knows the hurdles well.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Done, thanks again Andy/Chokkidog, Steve will be looking at the documentation that i send through shortly that came with the roaster and the ball is rolling

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721

    i got a new roaster - Phantom 7kg

    Will be very interested to hear how this roaster goes... the specs suggest that it is the ultimate solution!!!
    Lukemc likes this.

  10. #10
    Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Millthorpe NSW
    Posts
    2,038
    Nice shed and setup
    Look forward to hearing about the journey!

  11. #11
    Senior Member brettreaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    267
    looks amazing: Luke this attachment doesnt work for me..



    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    And post insulation, aircon, wiring and gas.

    Attachment 18995

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    110
    Shed looks great Luke. CRA are literally across the road from me, the Phantoms are a very good looking bit of kit
    Lukemc likes this.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Chapel Hill Brisbane
    Posts
    12
    Looks awesome. I run a 2kg Solar. Envious. Appears that you are going into roasting pretty seriously. All the best!
    Lukemc likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    119
    I have been running my Phantom since last year. Despite some teething issues I am really happy with the results (3 bronze medals so far)
    I can roast as little 1.2kg with great repeatable results.

    Gavin

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I have been running my Phantom since last year. Despite some teething issues I am really happy with the results (3 bronze medals so far)
    I can roast as little 1.2kg with great repeatable results.

    Gavin
    Would love to get some tips and tricks if your willing Gavin. If you are Pm me an email and Iíll get in touch.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    283
    looks great - and I'd love to hear you and Gavin's thoughts here in public, as the Phantom is what I'd love to grow into some day !

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    5
    That roaster is beautiful!!
    Lukemc likes this.

  18. #18
    Junior Member Swampy75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    9
    Great looking setup, whats it like to roast on?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy75 View Post
    Great looking setup, whats it like to roast on?
    Great! Very responsive. Heaps of gas power and almost impossible to tip beans on it. I grabbed a bronze and silver at golden bean with it last year.

    Iíve added a thinner bean temp probe for faster more responsive monitoring.
    Dimal, DaveD and Caffeinator like this.

  20. #20
    Junior Member Swampy75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    9
    thanks for replying, do you run it off LPG or NAT gas? whats the "coffee sweet" software like say compared to Artisan etc?
    sorry for all the questions, I'm considering getting a Phantom but looking for as much info from users before I make the leap.......

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    185
    Where are you based Swampy? Best to view one in the metal if you can...
    Dimal likes this.

  22. #22
    Junior Member Swampy75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    9
    I'm in Adelaide...

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy75 View Post
    I'm in Adelaide...
    Roadtrip to Melbourne....
    greenman and Swampy75 like this.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696

    i got a new roaster - Phantom 7kg

    [QUOCome over to Melbourne for the weekend mate!! Chris at TC is the distributor down here and has a 15kg unit hooked up in northcote. You can drop past Ballarat for a look at mine on the way thru! Pm me if you'd like more info about the roaster in detail.
    Dimal and Swampy75 like this.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    Would love to hear updates on this roaster please...

  26. #26
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Would love to hear updates on this roaster please...
    Hey mate, still going strong! Ive roasted more than a couple of tonnes on it in the last 12 months and its running like clockwork! Anything specific youd like to know?

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    Hey mate, still going strong! Ive roasted more than a couple of tonnes on it in the last 12 months and its running like clockwork! Anything specific youd like to know?
    So many questions:
    - How long does it take to warm up and achieve thermal stability;
    - Minimum charge? Do you need to do specific things to roast small charges effectively?
    - Can you properly roast a full charge of 7 kg?
    - What sort of roast times are you achieving? Please indicate degree roast.
    - Are the fan and damper well matched to the burners? Do you feel like you can significantly drop the environmental temperature by opening up the damper?
    - Does cooling work well? How long to get a full charge to ambient?
    - Is an afterburner standard... if it is or otherwise if you got one does it work well?
    - Are you using it fully manually or are you using the automation features? If automation, how is that going?

    Thanks!

  28. #28
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Will answer what i think i can!!!

    A caveat I have V1 and they subsequently made a V2 which had improvements. I also believe they are ceasing production of the 7kg so if you want one and they have some in stock id get in quick!

    - How long does it take to warm up and achieve thermal stability;
    - 30 minute is a minimum in my opinion, but an hour would be better. I work my smaller drops through first if i only have 30 to heat up.
    - Minimum charge? Do you need to do specific things to roast small charges effectively?
    - i don't like to go below 2.5kg but others can get down to 1kg
    - Can you properly roast a full charge of 7 kg?
    - Yes and No. Yes for drum size and gas power on V1, no you can't cool it as the cooling tray overflows (fixed in V2 i believe)
    - What sort of roast times are you achieving? Please indicate degree roast.
    - i aim for 13-15 minute and drop just prior or on cusp of 2nd for most milk based blends. Can easily achieve 9-12 on lighter and faster roasts, it has plenty of gas power.
    - Are the fan and damper well matched to the burners? Do you feel like you can significantly drop the environmental temperature by opening up the damper?
    - no damper just adjustable fan. Noidont think i can significantly drop environmental temp with an adjustable fan? If i adjust fan to 100% it bumps my temp reading up (im not sure if this answers your question sorry)
    - Does cooling work well? How long to get a full charge to ambient?
    - on cooler days 2-3 minutes maybe until totally cool and ready to dump, warmer days slightly longer, im fairly happy with cooling but i think V2 would be better with larger tray. I know chris's 15kg is faster!
    - Is an afterburner standard... if it is or otherwise if you got one does it work well?
    - No
    - Are you using it fully manually or are you using the automation features? If automation, how is that going?
    - Bit of both and im happy, every now and then i get a glitch and have to jump on and take over, i might lose a batch once every 3 months if im not paying attention (which i should be!), i piggyback cropster for monitoring and stock levels etc though, more accurate readings with 3mm probes as CS has 6mm, but again i think you can now spec 3mm


    Hope that helps!

  29. #29
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    I should have added, i charge 6kg (5 and a bit out after moisture loss) regularly and have no issues cooling that, its only if i charge the full 7kg that i have a slight overflow!!

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    Thanks so much for those answers... I'm currently roasting on a 1.5 kg Proaster, and have some very early thoughts on going larger.

  31. #31
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    I should have added, i charge 6kg (5 and a bit out after moisture loss) regularly and have no issues cooling that, its only if i charge the full 7kg that i have a slight overflow!!
    Could maybe fit a "hungry board" to the cooling tray - Mightn't need much if it just overflows...

    Mal.

  32. #32
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Thanks so much for those answers... I'm currently roasting on a 1.5 kg Proaster, and have some very early thoughts on going larger.
    Cool! CRA posted on facebook today that they are cleaning up a 5kg and 15kg 2nd hand HG for sale too, might be worth a thought.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    It's really interesting that your environmental temp rises when you increase fan... my understanding was that if you increase fan then you effectively introduce more room temperature air but also get more convective flow, so environmental temp would drop although rate of roast temp rise might stay the same. That's what happens on the Proaster. I'm wondering if the Phantom has a different fundamental architecture.

  34. #34
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Who knows! I could be wrong as well!

    Maybe there is a an immediate rise then a gradual decline. It could be down to probe placement too.

    My ROR spikes if I increase the fan then starts to decline again.

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    Who knows! I could be wrong as well!

    Maybe there is a an immediate rise then a gradual decline. It could be down to probe placement too.

    My ROR spikes if I increase the fan then starts to decline again.
    I'm not saying you're wrong!!! You get what you get... I'm very interested though.

  36. #36
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong!!! You get what you get... I'm very interested though.
    Iím always concerned when I answer questions as I donít want to add to the misinformation that floods the net sometimes!!!

    Iíll do some further testing tomorrow!

  37. #37
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    It's really interesting that your environmental temp rises when you increase fan... my understanding was that if you increase fan then you effectively introduce more room temperature air but also get more convective flow, so environmental temp would drop although rate of roast temp rise might stay the same. That's what happens on the Proaster. I'm wondering if the Phantom has a different fundamental architecture.
    I played around whilst preheating the drum today (no beans onboard)

    If I run gas at 80% and fan at 10% the env temp (labelled exhaust on CS) sits at steady a ROR (after 10 minutes) of about 33.

    Increasing the fan to 100% drops that within around 40 seconds down to just 13.4.

    Inside temp, today is about 18degrees in my roasting room for reference.

    With beans on board, I don't notice the env temp drop so dramatically (probably because I'm watching other things like a hawk!) but bean temp ROR does spike up a few degrees then continue its decline.

    Better answer hopefully!
    kwantfm likes this.

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    I played around whilst preheating the drum today (no beans onboard)

    If I run gas at 80% and fan at 10% the env temp (labelled exhaust on CS) sits at steady a ROR (after 10 minutes) of about 33.

    Increasing the fan to 100% drops that within around 40 seconds down to just 13.4.

    Inside temp, today is about 18degrees in my roasting room for reference.

    With beans on board, I don't notice the env temp drop so dramatically (probably because I'm watching other things like a hawk!) but bean temp ROR does spike up a few degrees then continue its decline.

    Better answer hopefully!
    Informative, thank you.

  39. #39
    Senior Member Lukemc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MILLBROOK VIC
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Informative, thank you.
    Does this differ much from what happens when empty with your roaster mate?

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    721
    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukemc View Post
    Does this differ much from what happens when empty with your roaster mate?
    I haven't tried any of this empty... I just have one regimen for warming up the roaster. If I remember next week I'll give it a go and let you know.
    Lukemc likes this.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •